Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#95557 - 05/25/07 04:03 AM Re: Changes in Latitude; time for a BOB change [Re: ironraven]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
A long range bug out is not like hiking the AT or PT. I wouldn't think of bugging out 50 miles without carrying a decent bit driver, real wire cutters, and maybe a pair of small channel locks along with my Leatherman, pocket bar and pocket knife, if for nothing other than scrounging.

Wildman's cresent wrench was a "D'oh!" moment for me. In normal life I'm a big scrounger/jury-rigger. I even keep an extensive tool kit including fencing pliers in my car. But when I go hiking I only bring my LM Wave (plus 3-4 other knives whistle). In the past I figured if I was trying to walk 1000 miles home from a job site I'd have the Leatherman but didn't give much thought to other tools. These comments reminded me I can hack MAN-MADE products into useful stuff too. I don't have to go the cave-man route. Funny how a person can develop tunnel vision. I've spent so much time learning to live in the woods I forgot mankind has some usable stuff laying around. D'oh! blush

-Blast, who is going to the hardware store tomorrow.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#95561 - 05/25/07 04:38 AM Re: Changes in Latitude; time for a BOB change [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Oh dear. What have I compelled you to add to your gear now? And how annoyed is your DW with me for it? smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#95570 - 05/25/07 08:35 AM On the money concerning storage space [Re: ironraven]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Thanks Ironraven, for putting my situation into words (which I just couldn't seem to get accomplshed); like Blast pointed out, "tunnel vision", is easy to acquire and difficult to recognize!!

Hey Blast, Lack of imagination is what limits you from using a piece of equipment to accomplish things that the inventor never dreamed of. Turning a lawnmower blade into a machete or a prybar, etc. Using a shovel to dig an animal trap pit.

Yes, personal space on a boat is "extremely limited" and has posed additional limitations on "available options". I am cutting down on both; what I can do without, but also not carrying those items that I can grab from the boat, prior to leaving, which reduces the weight and bulk that I carry from boat to boat and that which I have to store while on every boat.

In an earlier post, I had mentioned that I'm going to smaller containers for my supplements in order to reduce weight and bulk (stored air?). One poster felt that I should not carry all those supplementals. He should confirm that when he has reached 49 years of age with 80+ years of mileage on his body. These are benign means to keep me functioning as well as possible. Remember, "you're never the same after being shot in the head!"

I go home on the 30th for 4 days and will put this kit together and carry it in a separate (parachute) bag to my next boat. I go home again on the 19th of June and I "might" get the chance to get into the woods for a couple of days of hiking and camping to test this idea out under field conditions. I'll post my results on both stages of implementation.

Again, My sincere thanks to everyone for their valuable input. We should start referring to ourselves as "Tunnel Vision Busters"

#95577 - 05/25/07 01:11 PM Re: Changes in Latitude; time for a BOB change [Re: ironraven]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
What have I compelled you to add to your gear now? And how annoyed is your DW with me for it?

DW and I have a deal, I can buy what I want and claim it's a birthday present from her. According to DW's records, I'm currently 104 years old... grin

So, I always have my LM Wave and a SAK "Tinker". What other tools? I'm thinking
1. cresent wrench
2. small pry bar (maybe 6" long)
3. metal hacksaw?
4. ?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#95627 - 05/25/07 10:07 PM Re: Changes in Latitude; time for a BOB change [Re: wildman800]
DougM Offline

Do NOT follow the example of the Confederate Infantry, they were very poorly equipped (esp. toward the end), but rather follow the backpackers, get yourself a comfortable back of not less than 4000 cubic inch capacity(yes you will need "all that space").
As for food,I personally think that you shouldn't attempt to use modern (store bought) jerky as a FOOD source (far too much salt and spice for constant use, slim jims are about the same (if you mean the small snack sausages) and boullion cubes have no calories at all, therefore, I would suggest trying to find bulk marzipan (comes in 7.5 ounce plastic tubes and has a very long shelf life).

#95628 - 05/25/07 10:29 PM Re: Changes in Latitude; time for a BOB change [Re: DougM]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Why are you thinking about hiking that distance? it would be much easier to bike or row...

t

#95661 - 05/26/07 05:00 AM Re: Changes in Latitude; time for a BOB change [Re: teacher]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I plan on those assets and capabilities that I KNOW that I will have. All other possibilities are options that may or may not be available. You'd be surprised at what options (equipment) you may come across, but don't count on what isn't in your hand, right now.

#96369 - 06/01/07 08:47 PM Re: Changes in Latitude; time for a BOB change [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

By reducing excess bulk storage, duplicative items, and reduced excessive quantities, as well as "nice-to-have" stuff, my BoB weight is now down to 30LBS.

My thanks to all who have contributed suggestions and constructive criticism. As you can tell from the paragraph above, I am listening.

#96393 - 06/02/07 02:32 AM Re: Changes in Latitude; time for a BOB change [Re: wildman800]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Good job! Much more manageable... and your legs will thank you after a long day's walk!

#96395 - 06/02/07 02:38 AM Re: Changes in Latitude; time for a BOB change [Re: wildman800]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
What is your final inventory, do you know yet?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.