Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#96318 - 06/01/07 01:55 PM Re: So you just got your first knife? [Re: Tom_L]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I recall when I was about 5 or so, I got a hold of my mom's double edged razor pack. As I remember, I opened up every finger on my hands, and it didn't really hurt, but it felt cold. I also remember my mom walking in on me and screaming to high heaven at all the blood coming out of my little digits.

Does that count as my first knife? If not, then it was four years later when Grandad gave me one of his old used buck pocket knives, and I ended up with it stuck in the top of my foot winning a bout of mumbledee-peg with the neighbor kid.

#96362 - 06/01/07 06:53 PM Re: So you just got your first knife? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Interesting observation. The only knife I have never nicked myself with, as I recall, is my sheepsfoot blade sailor's knife. Still, it's not my first choice for EDC, so I use it a good deal less than the pointy blades. Now that I'm EDC-ing a Spyderco Salt-I with a modified sheepsfoot blade, we'll have to see how long I go unbloodied...

#96377 - 06/02/07 12:28 AM Re: So you just got your first knife? [Re: Frank2135]
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
Well it is not my first knife but I just ordered the Ritter folders RSK MK1 Mini and one regular RSK MK1. Just got tired and fed up with the costly junk that I have had before. (Not going to mention any brands here).

I use a knife almost daily and it is the little things that bug me about what I used to have. The comfort of the grip when using the knife for long periods, How the knife holds up with daily use. The time involved to keen up the edge. Even how big a hole they wear in your pocket carrying it around everyday.

#96413 - 06/02/07 05:02 AM Re: So you just got your first knife? [Re: tfisher]
duckear Offline
Addict

If you haven't nicked yourself, you arent using your knife. wink

#96427 - 06/02/07 06:06 PM Re: So you just got your first knife? [Re: duckear]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Interesting. Just Yesterday morning(!) I had court so I wouldn;t be wearing my EDC BRKT mini-Skinner on my belt. I was getting into the truck with it in my hand.....in its sheath. I was holding the sheath with the handle down (dumb!). As I sat down in the truck, I felt the knife start to slide out of the sheath. The butt-end of the handle stopped on my thigh but the blade had cleared the sheath. My right hand, still holding the sheath, was coming down in an attempt to stop the knife from sliding out of the sheath (which had already happened)....think mili-seconds here, or maybe giga-seconds. The point of the blade ended up "in" the flesh of my palm..... dead-center. Just luckily, I realized that the blade was exposed and had already started to slow down the motion of my right hand, so the blade didn;t go in as deep as it would have.

That mini-Skinner is razor sharp right out to the tip. At first, it didn;t look too bad, it wasn;t even bleeding. Hehe, that didn't last long! I'm looking at the wound right now....semi-healed but tender.

#96453 - 06/03/07 03:54 AM Re: So you just got your first knife? [Re: Frank2135]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
The Salt I looks like a great blade. First time I saw it, I thought "yeah! finally a blade shaped the way I want it!"

I'm curious about the H1 steel. How does it perform edge-holding-wise?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.