Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#95927 - 05/29/07 03:29 PM Choose my fixed blade. Please.
MichaelJ Offline

I’ve started practicing general “bushcraft” using my RSK Mk1 mini folder. So far so good, but I plan to have a fixed blade for non-city EDC. As that’s where I’m more likely to need bushcraft, I figure I should practice with my fixed blade. Which one to get???

I have my field narrowed to four:

Ritter RSK Mk3 (http://www.equipped.org/rsk_mk3.htm)

Swamprat Howling Rat (www.shop.ratknives.com/displayProductDocument.hg?productId=68&categoryId=1)

Grohmann #1 (http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r1s.html)

Grohmann #3 (http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r3s.html)

Which one would you choose?

#95928 - 05/29/07 03:47 PM Re: Choose my fixed blade. Please. [Re: MichaelJ]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
The shape of the Grohmann knives are specialized for skinning game applications with their high spine and the point is not ideal for piercing.

For general bushcraft applications you can follow Kochansky's recommendation and start with 10 bucks Mora knives. They have a single wide bevel which allows you to shave wood more easily. When there's a secondary bevel it acts like a sled on the wood, preventing you from creating nice shavings.

Frankie

#95942 - 05/29/07 04:37 PM Re: Choose my fixed blade. Please. [Re: NightHiker]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
I don't carry or have any experiance with any that you listed but I wil throw my two cents in for what it's worth any way.
I have been carrying an Anza knife for both hunting and general use for 15 years now. Unlike the factory mass produced knives you listed Anza knives are not edged hardened. Last but not least they are really not expensive (my most exspensive Anza was $70.00) when you consider you get a handmade quality knife.

#95943 - 05/29/07 04:49 PM Re: Choose my fixed blade. Please. [Re: Frankie]
MichaelJ Offline

The Grohmann knives are available in "flat grind". I think that style appealed to me because of the ease of sharpening. What I don't know is if that makes the blade weaker overall.

#95948 - 05/29/07 05:45 PM Re: Choose my fixed blade. Please. [Re: MichaelJ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
If you choose the Howling Rat, I guarantee you will not be disappointed. If you are, I will buy the knife from you for what it would cost new from the Mfr., even if it is damaged, unless the damage was intentional.

You can't get a better endorsement than that I reckon.

#95966 - 05/29/07 07:57 PM Re: Choose my fixed blade. Please. [Re: MichaelJ]
pworks36 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Florida
This is going to be a hard use knife. Go with the one you think feels best in your hand. Unfortunately you may not find your ideal knife in your first purchase. Use will tell you more. Hot spots that are not necessarily the fault of design crop up from time to time simply because people differ. Modern steels are great. Provided you go with a reputable manufacturer the rest comes down to preferences. I love the RSK, but that is just my opinion. For practicing your bushcraft may I offer an endorsement of a $10 Mora (the one with a finger guard though) or a Coldsteel Bushman (large or small) or even a Ka-Bar? Practice tools are just that, for practicing. While I too like the idea of practicing with that which I will be using, sometimes practice moves into abuse and if something gives I'd rather it be a $10 Mora than a significantly more expensive blade. Not saying that knives are not for use, just my picture of practicing involves things like digging with a knife or perhaps prying a bit and these are not things I prefer to do with my costlier blades unless warranted by the circumstances. Just my opinion...

#95969 - 05/29/07 08:02 PM Re: Choose my fixed blade. Please. [Re: benjammin]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Howling Rat test & review
I'd go with the howling rat.

#95973 - 05/29/07 08:38 PM Re: Choose my fixed blade. Please. [Re: MichaelJ]
sicily02 Offline

MichaelJ get a RSK MK3 I have one and like it. All the knives that you put in your thread I have. The Grohmann 1 and 3 are easy to get and do not cost as much as the MK3 and the howling rat unless the company is getting there knives out faster than they use to take so lnog to get I think mine took all most 9 weeks. I called and to order a MK3 and had it in 3 days. They are a great knife. I have ordered from Grohmann and they are pretty quick at getting a knife to you too.
Good luck in getting your knife picked out. The MK3 is one sweet knife though.
Take care,
Bryan

#96007 - 05/30/07 01:40 AM Re: Choose my fixed blade. Please. [Re: MichaelJ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I think that knives are too personal an item for me to pick for you. For example, I do not like the looks of the Grohmann's, no matter how well made they might be. You, on the other hand, must like them, or they would not be on your list. So you should go with what turns YOU on...

#96012 - 05/30/07 02:23 AM Re: Choose my fixed blade. Please. [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
A flat grind is not a weaker blade, in fact, in most cases it is stronger than a hollow grind simply because there is more metal on a flat grind.

I agree with Nighthiker but maybe not for the same reasons. I'd get the Howling Rat because it's cheaper. Then I'd order a Mora or two to go along with it. But if price is not your primary consideration, then I would get the Ritter Mk3. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a better knife, I own neither so I couldn;t do that. But, being a Benchmade fan and an owner of several, I trust that the Ritter fixed blade is high-quality and a step above the Swamprat.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.