Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#96238 - 05/31/07 10:26 PM Re: Grind terminology confusion [Re: KenK]
sodak Offline
Addict

I'd go with the Howling Rat. The steel takes and keeps a very good edge, and is easy to sharpen. I've never had a problem with rust yet. The grohmans are a little too specialized, and I really dislike S30V. I'm not a fan of Moras, they are fine for cheap knives, but many of my knives outcut them and are much quicker to sharpen. But, at $10 each, they might be worth a look. YMMV.

Edited by sodak (05/31/07 10:26 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#96749 - 06/06/07 03:21 PM Re: Choose my fixed blade. Please. [Re: MichaelJ]
ohiohiker Offline
found in the wilderness
Journeyman

Loc: Ohio
I'll echo Mors Kochanski's vote: a #1 Erikkson Mora in carbon steel.

#96779 - 06/06/07 08:00 PM Re: Choose my fixed blade. Please. [Re: ohiohiker]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

There are Moras and then there are Moras. For $20-30 you can get a superb Frost knife with a laminated carbon steel blade. It will rust if not taken care of but other than that it will outcut, outlast and outperform pretty much any high grade stainless at a fraction of the cost. It will also take a finer edge and can be sharpened very easily on any kind of stone.

Not to say I don't like stainless steels, they have their place (EDC folders, salt water and tropical climate knives...). But as far as a serious fixed blade utility knife in a temperate climate something like the Frost or comparable high quality Mora is pretty much the best choice IMHO and by far the most cost effective you'll ever find. I say that as an outdoorsman as well as an amateur knifemaker.

#96782 - 06/06/07 08:58 PM Re: Choose my fixed blade. Please. [Re: Tom_L]
MichaelJ Offline

Is there a difference between the knives sold here
http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html
and the knives sold here
http://www.swedishknives.com/?

I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to learn a lot more about knives before finding and spending a lot fo money on my "one" knife.

#96784 - 06/06/07 09:14 PM Re: Choose my fixed blade. Please. [Re: MichaelJ]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
IMHO: Life is too short for just one knife. I wouldn't blow the farm on experimenting, but spending $11 on a Frost Mora or $12 on a Cold Steel Finn Bear would inexpensively let you know if that type of knife works for you. Then you can decide if you want to upgrade or go in a different direction. The money spent on the initial knife won't be wasted, because you'll still have it "just in case". I'm not what you can call a knife enthusiast, but over the last 20 years or so I've acquired 3 fixed blade knives, all of which I use from time to time in different applications.

For some reason I've also acquired 6 different folders, but 1 was a gift and shouldn't count...

#96821 - 06/07/07 07:26 AM Re: Choose my fixed blade. Please. [Re: MichaelJ]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Michael, Mora is both a trademark and a generic name for Swedish knives made by a number of manufacturers based in that town. There is not a lot of difference between various manufacturers but most of them provide knives in several grades, both in terms of blade construction and overall assembly (hilt and sheath).

If you need a good utility blade but you're still not sure which one to pick my suggestion is to get a Mora in your preferred configuration. You won't regret it. At worst you can use it as a kitchen knife (and a good kitchen knife it will be). Personally I would pick a laminated Frost with a traditional birch grip and leather sheath, but that's just me. (As a matter of fact my primary belt knife is a laminated Frost that I mounted myself, only bought the blade). Plastic is cheaper and might last longer. 12C27 is a good stainless steel, not bad if you're worried about rust. A carbon steel laminated blade will cut better and stay sharp longer though.

Frank made some good points. Don't fall for paralysis by overanalysis. A utility knife is foremost a tool. It should be well made but it doesn't have to be expensive. It's a tool, not a fashion statement. I honestly don't care for overhyped survival knives that cost $100+. That's because in my experience a Mora or puukko will do the job at least as well and won't empty your wallet. If you lose it you can always get a new one. But out in the field it's just the kind of knife you can rely on. When I look at experienced woodsmen I have yet to see someone who carries a $100+ knife regularly. What they use day to day are simpler, inexpensive knives and here the Mora is the No. 1 choice.

Also keep this in mind - the design of Scandinavian knives has remained almost unchanged over many centuries. It's a product of a very long tradition that has proven itself time and again through hard use in a challenging environment. This is something that modern one-of-a-kind designer knives with fancy logos simply can't compare to.

#96822 - 06/07/07 08:27 AM Re: Choose my fixed blade. Please. [Re: Tom_L]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
My personal choice:

Fallkniven F1
Bark River Golok
Bahco Laplander Saw

That is a great working combination. If you are in a colder climate, you might want to substitute the golok with an axe. I have a Wetterlings axe, but for me here in Hawaii, a machete like blade is more appropriate, hence the golok. I have the F1 and Laplander and am waiting on my Golok. In the meantime, I use a Cold Steel LTC Kukri or a Tramontina machete.

To lower cost, the F1 can be replaced with a Mora (better slicer, but less robust) and the Golok can be replaced with a machete. I would keep the Laplander saw though. This combo can be had for 50-60 bucks and offers redundancy.

#96827 - 06/07/07 01:45 PM Re: Choose my fixed blade. Please. [Re: MichaelJ]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

A word of warning. Frosts of Sweden is NOT the same as Frost Cutlery. The Swedish knives are a great value. Frost Cutlery makes knives that are, shall we say, a little farther down on the quality scale. Think "50 knives for $12.99!" on the Home Shopping Network.grin If you buy from Ragnar you will be safe and get great service to boot.

Edited by norad45 (06/07/07 02:04 PM)

#96898 - 06/07/07 09:30 PM Re: Choose my fixed blade. Please. [Re: norad45]
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA

#97143 - 06/11/07 02:35 AM Re: Choose my fixed blade. Please. [Re: tfisher]
duckear Offline
Addict

RAT 3 in 1095

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 170 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.