Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#95926 - 05/29/07 03:28 PM Re: Char cloth and a frensel lense [Re: OldBaldGuy]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...I wonder what methods the pioneers and Mtn Folk used to keep their tinder dry without plastic bags and such?..."

Many used a tinder box , some with a "burning glass" in the lid...

I have that one, and it is very nice!

#95975 - 05/29/07 09:04 PM Re: Char cloth and a frensel lense [Re: jamesraykenney]
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
I have read that, in order to make good char cloth, you need cotton that has NOT been treated with any chemicals to make it flame-retardant. This means no T-shirts. Does this sound familiar?

#96005 - 05/30/07 01:07 AM Re: Char cloth and a frensel lense [Re: harrkev]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
A regular old T-shirt being flame-retardant is a new one on me. I have made a little bit of char cloth from a T, and it burned just fine...

#96471 - 06/03/07 03:25 PM Re: Char cloth and a frensel lense [Re: billym]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: billym
By far the best was a piece of char cloth. It took less than three seconds to get an ember once the lense was focused correctly.
I tried Tinder Quick and it did not work at all.
Colour is important with a lens. If the char cloth was black, it will have adsorbed more of the light energy, which is part of why it will have been successful. White cloth reflects light. Similarly if you are using newspaper - the black print will work better than the white page.

Tinder Quick is light-coloured, and I think it can also be hard to focus on. However, in my experience it works fine with sparks.

#96472 - 06/03/07 04:40 PM Re: Char cloth and a frensel lense [Re: Brangdon]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been experimenting trying to create a home made dry replacement tinder for the cotton balls, coleman white gas and used shoe polish tin tinder. So far the specification I am looking for would go along the following lines,

1) The tinder once ignited should burn for more than 2 minutes with a substantial flame.
2) The tinder should be reasonably waterproof before being used.
3) The tinder should ignite from from the sparks produced by a Swedish firesteel or even a flint and steel.
4) The tinder should ignite using a frensel lens.
5) The tinder once exposed should have an indefinite life time unlike the wetfire tinder.
6) The tinder should be of a similar size to Tinder Quick.

The ingredients so far include Char Cloth, Cotton wool, candle wax and powdered hexamine. This is how I have proceeded.

Crush the Hexamine tablet to a fine powder. Spread the powder onto a warmed metal copper plate and poor melted candle wax on the plate and powdered hexamine to just cover the hexamine powder. Partially dip small strips of Char cloth in to the melted wax and hexamine leaving a portion of the char cloth dry. Some of the hexamine will adhere to the char cloth with the melted wax acting as a binder. Wrap a cotton wool ball around the dipped char cloth strip. The cotton wool will adhere partially to the waxy hexamine char cloth strip. Once the wax has hardened inside the cotton ball together with the char cotton hexamine impregnated strip inside it can then be used a tinder. Store in a small polybag.

Any other ideas for tinder?

#96565 - 06/04/07 07:37 PM Re: Char cloth and a frensel lense [Re: OldBaldGuy]
KarenRei Offline

I'm curious as to how effective my test batch of "char cloth" that I made will be. I made some with paper towel instead of cotton cloth recently. It's nearly pure cellulose, just like cotton, but it's thinner. I was thinking it might work better; it looks pretty similar to normal char cloth. Unfortunately, offhand, I don't have a good way to try it -- no flints at my house. Burns with a nice even, steady wavefront, but I'm not sure of a good way to test how readily it will catch a spark. I've been brushing up a bit on bow drill practice lately, but haven't gotten a coal yet (too much slipping; time to work some more on the bow and spindle), so I can't tell how well it would ignite from that.

Any ideas?

#96600 - 06/05/07 12:32 AM Re: Char cloth and a frensel lense [Re: KarenRei]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I guess you could take a cigaretter lighter and drain the fuel, then use the sparker to try to ignite your "char paper" stuff...

#96607 - 06/05/07 01:09 AM Re: Char cloth and a frensel lense [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
It's not absolutely necessary to drain the fuel out of a bic-lighter or such. But what you really need to do, to get it sparking right, is to remove the metal guard from the front side (just grab its sides from the wheel side and bend open, it'll fall apart). The fuel will ignite, right, but the flame will go up, and the sparks will fell down. Just watch your fingers smile

#96664 - 06/05/07 03:21 PM Re: Char cloth and a frensel lense [Re: Alex]
KarenRei Offline

Thanks; I'll give it a shot. smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 447 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.