The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#95623 - 05/25/07 09:20 PM Reaction of Potassium Permanganate and Glycerine
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Check out this Video. I saw Ray Mears do this on a dvd I have. Would this be a viable source of fire, in an emergency/survival situation? Is this stuff stable enough to carry in a pack?

#95624 - 05/25/07 09:38 PM Re: Reaction of Potassium Permanganate and Glycerine [Re: Themalemutekid]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Yes, but keep them far apart in your pack.

The KMnO4 (potassium permanganate) is a strong oxidizer which will try and react with stuff (skin, food, fabrics, fuel, etc). In small quantities it can be used as an antiseptic/antifungul. Eating 10-20 grams will kill you. It'll also stain most things purple.

The glycerine is harmless and is used in soap.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#95626 - 05/25/07 10:05 PM Re: Reaction of Potassium Permanganate and Glyceri [Re: Themalemutekid]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Would this be a viable source of fire, in an emergency/survival situation?

When lacking all other means of firelighting then this is a perfectly viable means of firelighting. The method is as follows;

Put one teaspoon of Potassium Permanganate on to something flammable such as a sheet of paper or dry cloth i.e. cotton. Add a few drops of neat antifreeze (source of the Glycerine) then wrap the cloth or paper around the mixture tightly (this is to get the chemical reaction going). Place inside your tinder and wait a few minutes. It should ignite on its own to produce fire.

The Potassium Permanganate can also be mixed with sugar to produce the same effect using 9 parts Potassium Permanganate to 1 part sugar. The finer the grains of Potassium Permanganate and sugar then the chances of it igniting when crushed between two stones will be greater.

In the same way as Potassium Permanganate, Potassium Chlorate (3 parts) to Sugar (1 part) mixed together and initiated with some car battery acid will produce a similar effect but burns a little bit more fiercely.

Potassium Permanganate is best kept in the medical kit as an antiseptic and antifungal. Its multiple uses make it a very useful chemical and can even be used to sterilize water in low concentrations in a dire emergency (not recommended though). Sugar is best kept for the hot tea.

Edited by bentirran (05/25/07 10:05 PM)

#95643 - 05/26/07 03:15 AM Re: Reaction of Potassium Permanganate and Glycerine [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Potassium permanganate is also been fairly hard to find for a while, at least around here. It's got a lot of uses, but there are more error forgiving things that are a lot more stable for all of them. It's a jack of trades, master of none, and watched by the Feds IIRC.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#95731 - 05/26/07 11:16 PM Re: Reaction of Potassium Permanganate and Glycerine [Re: ironraven]
nouseforaname Offline
Journeyman

i may be confused, but is potassium permanganate the main active compound in some of the powdered, industrial strength drain-clog products? i was having a hard time remembering the exact name of the chemical, but thought i had found it next to the draino at home depot. IIRC it was a green powder. i had no use for a 5 gallon supply, and because i wasnt 100% it was the right stuff i didnt buy it. any ideas?

#95741 - 05/27/07 01:21 AM Re: Reaction of Potassium Permanganate and Glycerine [Re: Themalemutekid]
HerbG Offline

This mixture is sometimes used by the U.S. Forest Service to create backfires or controlled burns. The Potassium Permanganate is contained in a ping-pong ball type plastic capsule and the Glycerine is automatically injected into the capsule just prior to the capsule being dispensed from an aircraft. This makes it possible to create a large fire quickly.

#95743 - 05/27/07 01:35 AM Re: Reaction of Potassium Permanganate and Glycerine [Re: HerbG]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I bought a small quantity of KMnO4 on eBay about 3 months ago.

#95745 - 05/27/07 01:40 AM Re: Reaction of Potassium Permanganate and Glycerine [Re: nouseforaname]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
That may have been potassium hydroxide, but I'm not dead-certain-sure.

Sue

#95749 - 05/27/07 02:09 AM Re: Reaction of Potassium Permanganate and Glycerine [Re: Susan]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Active incredient in most common drain cleaners is sodium hydroxide, also called caustic soda-lye.

#95763 - 05/27/07 03:27 PM Re: Reaction of Potassium Permanganate and Glycerine [Re: Themalemutekid]
Woodsloafer Offline

Loc: Upstate NewYork
Just a thought:
Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's practical.
Rather than carry two messy chemicals, why not invest in a couple more butane lighters and some additional fire starters?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.