Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#95646 - 05/26/07 03:30 AM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: smitty]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Oh, those look cool. They look like that "Airborn" stuff that is supposed to be for not catching cold, but with electrolytes. If I see it around here it might have to get tested. smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#95709 - 05/26/07 08:34 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: benjammin]
red Offline

+1 on the pedialyte (get the generic, CHEAP!), but I can't get any kids to down that stuff unless they're really young (infants seem not to mind)

I prefer not to drink electrolyte-rich fluids exclusively...yuck! But there are times when on a huge hike I can tell I'm "sweat out" and need some salt...I just grab some trail mix and throw down a couple bites. Presto! Salts are back.

#96109 - 05/30/07 08:47 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: bsmith]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Gatorade is my favorite over Powerade and Tang.

It's really easy to get dehydrated and more than once I've caught myself with a big headache and/or feeling like a slug due to my carelessness.

There is some Gookinaid sitting in the cupboard but I have yet to use it. Maybe this afternoon I will give it a shot and see how it goes. I've also seen people mention mixing apple juice & water, eating Fig Newtons, and drinking tomato juice.

Already 99 degrees F in the shade and the day isn't over yet! shocked

#96122 - 05/30/07 10:56 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: cedfire]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I suppose you can try this:
http://www.wildmedcenter.com/store.html#supplies

Look for the WHO Oral Rehydration Solution. If this is what I think, it's what the WHO uses for treating diarrhea (#1 cause of pediatric death in the world!). Don't know how it'll do to maintain you though!

#96143 - 05/31/07 01:58 AM hangover remedy [Re: ironraven]
jmarkantes Offline

Loc: Portland, OR, USA
Originally Posted By: ironraven
The only use I have for gatoraid anymore is for "wake-wake juice"- pout a packet of Emer'gen'c into a nalgene bottle, then a 12oz can of Mt Dew, and a 20oz bottle of organe gatorade. You are painfully awake in about 20 minutes, but if you use it to wash down a couple asprin, the hangover starts to go away.

That sounds AWESOME. I'll have to remember that. As for just the Emer'gen'C, I usually carry a packet or two in my Bar Survival Kit when I know I'm going out for a night on the town. It was extremely handy to avoid the 2pm hangover on St Patty's day (it's a long day in these parts).

J

#96300 - 06/01/07 11:35 AM Re: hangover remedy [Re: jmarkantes]
Chuck Offline
Stranger

Loc: Summerville South Carolina
I keep water in my hydration pack and mix electrolyte replacement as needed. After looking all over the net for the best prices I settled on the MRE type packages sold by beprepared.com. At $0.40 each they are a deal. I find that they are about the same as gatoraid and come in several flavors.

#96370 - 06/01/07 08:51 PM Re: hangover remedy [Re: jmarkantes]
monkey Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: jmarkantes
Originally Posted By: ironraven
The only use I have for gatoraid anymore is for "wake-wake juice"- pout a packet of Emer'gen'c into a nalgene bottle, then a 12oz can of Mt Dew, and a 20oz bottle of organe gatorade. You are painfully awake in about 20 minutes, but if you use it to wash down a couple asprin, the hangover starts to go away.

That sounds AWESOME. I'll have to remember that. As for just the Emer'gen'C, I usually carry a packet or two in my Bar Survival Kit when I know I'm going out for a night on the town. It was extremely handy to avoid the 2pm hangover on St Patty's day (it's a long day in these parts).

J

Ironraven, I thank you, my boss thanks you, and my clients thank you.

I had the opportunity to give "wake-wake juice" a test run this morning. I pounded the nalgene. I know this isn’t exactly conducive to optimal hydration but I didn’t have time to fool around. The zookeepers were getting restless. The first 15 minutes is all waiting, then about halfway through the second 15 you start wondering if you’ve been fooled, because nothing is happening. And then… ZANG! Fiendish intensity, strange glow and vibrations...a very heavy gig dodging traffic on a fixed gear bike.

I’ll perform another test in a… less controlled environment as soon as possible. Sorry for the editorial liberties mr.duke.

I am the monkey, and I approved this message.

m

#96394 - 06/02/07 02:37 AM Re: hangover remedy [Re: monkey]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Just remember to drink plenty of water after this. I hope I mentioned this- caffeine like alcohol couples to the electrolytes, so the only faster way to get it into you is by injection, so if you have any kind of heart condition this might not be wise.

So how was coming down from this stuff? I always crashed after exams. laugh

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#96686 - 06/05/07 10:31 PM Re: hangover remedy [Re: ironraven]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
after your suggestions and more research i purchased gookinaid - hydralyte.

it has the electrolytes i feel i need and it is manufactured to be absorbed through the stomach walls into the blood vessels rapidly - something other products don't even mention.

the taste is pleasant - orange this time. and has no aftertaste.

yesterday was the first field test. 7 miles rt with 2000' up and 2000' coming down... 85 - 90F. no clouds, sporadic breeze. i carried two 100 oz hydration bladders - one with straight water and one with gookinaid. i used most of the h20 and approx 2/3 of the gookinaid. no cramps, lots of sweating, no severe thirst. didn't have to follow with water to remove any overly-sweet taste.

all in all i'd say it performed as advertised and i will continue to use it during the hot summer months.

#96691 - 06/06/07 12:16 AM Re: hangover remedy [Re: bsmith]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: bsmith
after your suggestions and more research i purchased gookinaid - hydralyte.

Thanks for the follow-up report. I'm glad that Gookinaid seems to work for you.

You didn't mention getting any other flavor, but for what it's worth, I would consider orange to be the "strongest" flavor. And I say strongest in the relative sense, since compared to other brands, all of the Gookinaid flavors are quite mild.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.