The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#94124 - 05/09/07 03:16 AM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Rio]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
The beverage base packages that you find in MRE's are flavored electrolyte mixes. You can get them in several flavors, and they come in individual packets. I use them on the water that I've run through my Katadyn filter sometimes. Filters and MP1's make the water "safe" to drink, but, the beverage base packs make it actually a lot more acceptable from a taste perspective. I have tried the fruit punch, grape, and lemon lime flavors. I think they also make orange. You can get them at places like:
http://www7.mailordercentral.com/longlifefood/products.asp?dept=1031

- Ron

#94135 - 05/09/07 04:40 AM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Be_Prepared]
aardvark Offline

Loc: So. California
When i was young and cheap, i made my own out of kool aid mix, sugar, regular salt and dieter's salt. It was not too sweet, kind of like gatorade and the two kinds of salt were supposed to replace needed electrolytes. I can't seem to find the recipe, try looking it up on the web.

#94137 - 05/09/07 04:57 AM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Rio]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

Gatorade..i take the powder on canoe trips and mix it thick
or thin depending on the weather..cool days i put a tea
bag and sugar in my water bottle and drink and re-fill
untill the bag is tasteless..Tang is not bad..maybe it's
the vitamin C or all the sugar but it perks me up..

#94156 - 05/09/07 02:15 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
For those of us el cheapos, I have been told by a licensed physical theropist that if you squeeze half a lime in about a guart of water you will get all of the benefits of gatorade without the sugar, etc...

That therapist needs some more education. The lime juice only offers flavor via ascorbic acid. It supplies just about zero sodium or potassium... you know, the electrolytes that this thread is about. It doesn't always pay to be cheap.

+1 on Gookinaid/HydraLyte. It's the number one choice of people who make their living operating in the Grand Canyon. In a pinch, diluted Gatorade isn't too bad either but the HydraLyte is a better electrolyte formulation.

#94159 - 05/09/07 02:34 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Be_Prepared]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Quote:
The beverage base packages that you find in MRE's are flavored electrolyte mixes.

That's a good idea. I must have about 3 dozen of those laying around that I'm going to round up and stash. I have always been a plain water man but it wouldn't hurt to pack a few of those in a vehicle in case of an unplanned hike in the desert.

#94172 - 05/09/07 06:09 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: bsmith]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

After years working for the Forest Service running forest fire suppression crew all we would use is several grains of salt in our canteens.(if you tast the salt you have used too much) After 5 canteens of water we would drink 1 Gatoraid ( the only thing around at the time) Some time the shifts were 18 Hours in over 100 deg. heat. cool

Never lost a man to heat stroke. smile

A lot of conditioning in high heat also helped. grin

#94177 - 05/09/07 06:48 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: big_al]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: big_al
A lot of conditioning in high heat also helped.

Ahhh, that's key, too. People who are acclimated to hot weather tend to have less "salty" sweat and therefore need less electrolyte replacement. Well, and you may sweat less for a given amount of work because you're used to it. Working 18 hour shifts, day after day, even a small difference in sweat composition can make a difference over time since even small changes in electrolyte balance can really degrade your performance. Well, the water loss is a much bigger worry than electrolytes.

Actually, that reminds me, we should keep in mind two important yet separate issues when we talk about "What should I drink?" There's the issue of water loss and how to keep hydrated as efficiently as possible. The other issue is electrolyte loss, which really isn't going to kick in for most people until at least several hours of strenuous activity in high temps. In your case, where you are exerting yourself for long periods of time on the fire line, then electrolyte replacemenets becomes a true medical issue to keep in mind.

For many/most of us, electrolyte replacement is rarely needed. We don't sweat enough, for long enough, and then we replenish our electrolytes at the next meal. That said, you can add things to plain water, such as salt and sugar, which will allow your body to absorb the water faster than just plain water. So, the issue can get confusing when asking about the best "electrolyte" drink.

#94180 - 05/09/07 07:00 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Arney]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Once in boot camp I folded up on a long run and was given a jug of Ringer's lactate to rehydrate with. Seemed to work pretty good.

An ER doctor friend of mine also said pedialyte is a pretty good rehydrating liquid. Hey, if it works for the kids, it should work for the rest of us.

#94239 - 05/10/07 12:14 AM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: benjammin]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
i appreciate all of you who have contributed to the discussion and i say many thanks to you...

the issue arose during a 22 mile r.t. hike that gained 4,100' in 11 miles w/the last 1,000' summiting in the last mile scrambling over rocks and brush. temps rose into the mid to upper 80s, zero shade, and 'fire danger' humidity. that's typical where i day hike - in the los padres forest in southern california.

not only volume depleted - and as arney pointed out - electrolyte depleted as well - which exhibited on the summit as a 3+ muscle cramp in my inner thigh - felt like it was gripped by a lion..

as suggested, and after further research, purchased gookinaid (hydralyte in the us and aquaforce down under) as it seems to have the right stuff. has subtle flavor. will post further after field testing.

thanks again,
bsmith

#94251 - 05/10/07 02:58 AM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: aardvark]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Dieter's salt?

Lo calorie salt? Or low sodium?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.