Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#95687 - 05/26/07 05:28 PM Re: Most versatile hot weather brimmed hat [Re: OldBaldGuy]
LED Offline
Veteran

TWO Tilleys? Now thats what I call livin high on the hog. Out of curiosity, how do you wash yours? And do you have to wash them very often?

#95692 - 05/26/07 05:38 PM Re: Most versatile hot weather brimmed hat [Re: LED]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My first one was a natural T-4, and I wore it out. Didn't wash it often enough, got real sweaty in the summer heat, and the material rottendout right at a line of stitching. They replaced it for $6.50. Then I got a khaki one, which I don't much like, so it is my work hat, the the natural is the "goin' to town" one.

I just throw them into the washer with other like colored stuff, then kind of block the crown by hand, and press the brim down on a flat surface to air dry. How often I wash them depends on how dirty they get, and how sweaty (I learned from that experience). Works for me...

#95703 - 05/26/07 07:54 PM Re: Most versatile hot weather brimmed hat [Re: GrantC]
red Offline

More people get skin cancer than lung, prostate and colon cancer combined. Although the death rates are lower, the incidence is much much higher.

It only takes a short period of time out in the sun to generate enough vitamin D for your daily needs. In fact, there is some evidence that short UV exposure generates more vitamin D production than excessive time in the sun.

#95712 - 05/26/07 08:43 PM Re: Most versatile hot weather brimmed hat [Re: red]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Add another vote for the Tilley hat. I have an LTM6 - the one with the wider brim and the mesh at the top for airflow. I have a BIG head and it was the only hat I could find to fit ... and it fits very well. It is very comfortable - even in high wind. The synthetic material resists rain, cleans easily, and dries quickly.

At first I was a bit concerned that skeeters might find their way through the mesh and get me, but that's not been a problem at all.

I liked the LTM6 so much that last winter I bought a Tilley Winter Hat. Nice looking. Warm. Ear flaps. It does a great job keeping snow off of my classes (which drives me nuts). It reminds me of back in the 50's and earlier when a well-dressed man wouldn't be caught without a nice hat. Because it is made of wool they recommend dry cleaning rather than hand washing, which is OK with me. In winter it won't get as dirty as my LTM6 does.

#95723 - 05/26/07 09:34 PM Re: Most versatile hot weather brimmed hat [Re: LED]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
I believe you but there's another issue as far as style an aesthetic goes. The Tilley hats all seem to have a relatively high crown. I happen to have a long heart shaped face and wide brim low crown hats would fit me better I think. The military boonie hats and the Columbia boonie and Patagonia surf bucket happen to have low crowns but the military boonie hats are cotton and stiffer (easier for fanning) and I couldn't care less about UPF protection.

Frankie

#95916 - 05/29/07 01:57 PM Re: Most versatile hot weather brimmed hat [Re: Frankie]
Ready Offline

I have a lightweight Tilley and can say that they will hold up to just about everything. It is cool to wear and will look good for years to come. They are washable and packable and will last forever. You can't beat the lifetime warranty.

#96021 - 05/30/07 03:11 AM Re: Most versatile hot weather brimmed hat [Re: Ready]
David Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee (middle)
Another vote for the Tilley! I have two T3s, and find that, more & more, I wear them year-round, though I still like my wool felt hat with my leather jacket in winter better.

I don't think I've got more than $25 (USD) in either of them. One was an REI sale, the other, an e-bay purchase, used.

I'm in Florida now, on vacation, & pretty much don't leave the house without my hat. They're great in sun, wind, rain...can't say I've worn it in snow...yet. I use the head cords as needed, and have NEVER had one blown from my head--including wearing it in a full gale!

I have a bug net that fits over the crown & down to my collar that I've used with another hat (it came with my first hat, from LL Bean), and it works with the Tilley's too. I wash mine about once a year.

Get one; they're worth the price! But, as noted, a bit of judicious shopping will save money.

David

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 179 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.