Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#95514 - 05/24/07 09:41 PM Re: Most versatile hot weather brimmed hat [Re: GrantC]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
That's an interesting point GrantC. I will investigate this issue more...

Frankie

#95542 - 05/25/07 02:01 AM Re: Most versatile hot weather brimmed hat [Re: GrantC]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
True enough. But sunburn still hurts, and can lead to interesting problems not the least of which is malignant melanoma. Reduces the likelyhood of one form of cancer for an other. Lets face it, odds are whichever comedian that claimed "everything will give you cancer" was right.

I would say that the lack of vitamin D has less to do with sunblock usage and the fact that we've turned into a culture of troglodytes. The glow-in-the-dark white look is too common becuase most people spend way too much time inside. And not getting enough fiber.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#95563 - 05/25/07 04:56 AM Re: Most versatile hot weather brimmed hat [Re: LED]
FisheatingCreekFreak Offline
stranger

Loc: South Florida
I've had good luck with Henschel Hats. I have a cloth "Breezer" with a mesh crown and a 3 inch brim. It's nice and cool and pretty resiliant. I've had mine several years and it's been submerged in pools, creeks and oceans. I lay it out to dry flat and it's good as new. However I did eventually buy a hat stretcher to dry it on because it was starting to get a bit snug.

Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway.

#95569 - 05/25/07 06:48 AM Re: Most versatile hot weather brimmed hat [Re: FisheatingCreekFreak]
smitty Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri

#95576 - 05/25/07 12:48 PM Re: Most versatile hot weather brimmed hat [Re: smitty]
godpan Offline
stranger

Tilley. Tried and true. I have tried many of the hats mentioned but since I bought a Tilley Lighterweight LT5 Hat I haven't had the need to look elsewhere. Plus good luck finding another company that stands behind their products like Tilley does. Not to mention they are rated at UPF 50+ the highest given since your looking for a sun hat.

#95582 - 05/25/07 01:49 PM Re: Most versatile hot weather brimmed hat [Re: Frankie]
Frozen Offline
Journeyman

I've had a Tilley for years. For my birthday this year, I was given a Patagonia Surf Bucket. It protects about the same, but it's cooler and lighter.

#95667 - 05/26/07 07:10 AM Re: Most versatile hot weather brimmed hat [Re: Frozen]
JRR Offline

I've had one of the old military boonie hats that I've used for years. It's great for hot weather canoe rides, just dip and stick it back on yer head, instant air conditioning. I'm in need of a new one, but for some reason, they have stopped making them with map pockets. Where am I going to hide my map to the lost Incan city of gold?

#95668 - 05/26/07 07:29 AM Re: Most versatile hot weather brimmed hat [Re: Frozen]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
I may go with Tilley after all. I like the fact that they specialize in hats. I noticed that most of the gear I end up really using and enjoying using come from manufacturers that specialize in each type of equipment. My boots for exemple, are from Lowa, they only make boots since the 30s. My EDC knife is a Spyderco, they only make knives (and a very innovative company BTW, from an innovative nation that others mimic without being really conscious most of the time), I'm looking at Ray-Ban or American Optical Eyewear for good sunglasses and at Hamilton for good mechanical watches. And I can afford the Tilley given it's an essential item. But I must be honest, it's just the look that I find not very appealing.

Frankie

#95669 - 05/26/07 07:47 AM Re: Most versatile hot weather brimmed hat [Re: Frankie]
LED Offline
Veteran

You know, funny you should say that because I was of the same opinion. But honestly, after a few days of wearing it sporadically, it grows on you. Especially when you push the sides of the brim up, (which folds the front and back down) it gives the hat a bit of outback type character. Coming from a fellow style skeptic, I don't think you'll be disappointed. The hemp is great by the way.

#95682 - 05/26/07 04:05 PM Re: Most versatile hot weather brimmed hat [Re: JRR]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have worn out a bunch of boonie hats, and still have three or four around, but I have found that I get better sun protection from my Tilley T4 than any boonie. And having had a few "precancerous" spots removed from my noggin I really pay attention to that. So I have two Tilleys, one for work, one for play...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.