Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#95188 - 05/21/07 04:30 PM Still hope to save the New World!
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
We were hiking this weekend with my Troop, and stumbled (not so accidentally) across a primitive area in the woods. There were two old signs posted, one gave us hope:

I'm ready to go find this George Washington guy, sounds like he has a couple of good ideas wink

Then, a post that reminded us why the first sign was there:

It's about those dangerous "subjects" old George refers to in his Proclamation. You know, those dangerous men from Boston to Virginia. I wonder what they'd have to say about our state of affairs in this country today. Anyway, it turned into a great teachable moment with the boys about American history. One of them asked where the "Founding Fathers" lived now... (public education)

At the bottom, it says something like: "In the Sixteenth Year of the reign of our Sovereign Lord George the Third, By the Grace Of God of Great-Britain, France, and Ireland, King, Defender of the Faith, and so forth."

That was one heck of a title, I love that "and so forth" at the end.

- Ron

#95190 - 05/21/07 04:41 PM Re: Still hope to save the New World! [Re: Be_Prepared]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Did any decide to join up? smile

#95192 - 05/21/07 04:48 PM Re: Still hope to save the New World! [Re: MDinana]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

If they thought they'd get to shoot more targets at the rifle range, they'd enlist right now I think!

- Ron

#95227 - 05/22/07 12:05 AM Re: Still hope to save the New World! [Re: Be_Prepared]
MapNut Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
A Proclamation, by The King
http://www.founding.com/library/lbody.cfm?id=97&parent=17
lots of other great documents on this site

Recruitment poster
http://www.ushistory.org/valleyforge/youasked/047.htm

#95230 - 05/22/07 12:38 AM Re: Still hope to save the New World! [Re: MapNut]
Ponce Offline

Loc: In the woods of Oregon.
"When the government is not for the people it is then the right of the people to take over the government, after all the people ARE the governemt"... Ponce

Remember that the US constitution GIVES YOU THE RIGHT to take over the government.

Even though the BANANAS REPUBLICS don't have the same constitution as we do that's exactly what they do.

"To be ready is not"... Ponce

#95259 - 05/22/07 03:17 PM Re: Still hope to save the New World! [Re: Ponce]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I think that the days are past whereby an overthrow of our government by its citizens is possible. It seems the only plausible way to effect change in our government these days is to elect politicians, and not enough people are willing to vote for enough radicals because, in the end, you just can't trust anyone anymore, and it is a safer thing to perpetuate the party line than to risk putting someone like Ross Perot into the big chair.

We have lost our way, and I don't see any way we can get it back. As a society, if not a civilization, we sold out a long time ago. Ben Franklin's prediction has become a reality. This is still a great nation, but we are on the downslope side of the curve.

I have no hope for us, only to make the best of what is left, until it too is gone. My one desire is that the remnant will last longer than I do. I fear for my children.

#95278 - 05/22/07 06:35 PM Re: Still hope to save the New World! [Re: benjammin]
gatormba Offline

Loc: Alabama
Well said, I couldn't agree with you more!

#95294 - 05/22/07 09:24 PM Re: Still hope to save the New World! [Re: gatormba]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

I also have concerns about keeping the hope of a bright future alive in a time when the press and many of our politicians seem embarrased to be Americans. Still, I believe that we will find our way, as we always have. I can't say that I know how, or who will lead, but, I guess I still like our chances.

I read a quote to the boys, when we were studying for their Citizenship in the Nation merit badge. (That was part of this whole hike into the "primitive area" idea last weekend). It was the end of a major address back in 1974, a time when many American's were not feeling very good about our country or it's institutions, much like today. The situations weren't exactly the same, but, they rhyme. (I took the quote from one of Bill Bennett's books on American History.)
-------

We are not a sick society. A sick society could not produce the men that set foot on the moon, or who are now circling the Earth above us in the Skylab. A sick society bereft of morality and courage did not produce the men who went through those years of torture and captivity in Vietnam. Where did we find such men? They are typical of this land as the Founding Fathers were typical. We found them in out streets, in the offices, the shops and the working places of our country and on the farms.

We cannot escape out destiny, nor should we try to do so. The leadership of the free world was thrust upon us two centuries ago in that little hall of Philadelphia. In the days following World War II, when the economic strength and power of America was all that stood between the world and the return to the dark ages, Pope Pius XII said, "The American people have a great genius for splendid and unselfish actions. Into the hands of America God has placed the destinies of an afflicted mankind."

We are indeed, and we are today, the last best hope of man on Earth.
Ronald Reagan 1974

- Ron

#95296 - 05/22/07 09:36 PM Re: Still hope to save the New World! [Re: Be_Prepared]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
We are not a sick society. A sick society could not produce the men that set foot on the moon, or who are now circling the Earth above us in the Skylab. A sick society bereft of morality and courage did not produce the men who went through those years of torture and captivity in Vietnam. Where did we find such men? They are typical of this land as the Founding Fathers were typical. We found them in out streets, in the offices, the shops and the working places of our country and on the farms.

We cannot escape out destiny, nor should we try to do so. The leadership of the free world was thrust upon us two centuries ago in that little hall of Philadelphia. In the days following World War II, when the economic strength and power of America was all that stood between the world and the return to the dark ages, Pope Pius XII said, "The American people have a great genius for splendid and unselfish actions. Into the hands of America God has placed the destinies of an afflicted mankind."

We are indeed, and we are today, the last best hope of man on Earth.
Ronald Reagan 1974

It was worth repeating.

-Blast, hat off & hand over heart.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#95305 - 05/22/07 11:13 PM Re: Still hope to save the New World! [Re: Be_Prepared]
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
A few years ago, -the Thought has occurred to me, -that "Washigton and Lincoln looks down upon us / U.S..-Do they Smile or FROWN!?".

Your Post and Thought gives me the Perfect occassion to segway into this.

From such, -just imagine Washington *again* being Present here upon our Scene!

He'd of course be Filled with his old, seeminly (to us), Archaic, Old Fogey ways! He, -*Still* Holding the Rank of "General of the Army", -and as such, except for our C in C, -the Highest Ranking Officer in our Free Forces Defense, -He'd certainly have to be brought up to Speed on Apaches and Blackhawks, F-18 Hornets, and Tomahawk Cruises! Among so much similar else.

But regarding much of our National "Spirit" *behind* it all!, -He may have some Really Stern Looks and Words!, -for us all!!! In our Knowing so much of all the Technical Nuts and Bolts behind it all! But often All Too Little!, -of the "Spirit of 76" that Stands *Behind* it all!

He may so Remind us / U.S. that as such, -*we* could be Heading to *another* Valley Forge! -Valley Forge Hardships! Of which he is certainly only all too Well Qualified to Know something about!

And a Valley Forge set of Hardships that we Really *Don't* Have to!, -come to Find ourselves in!...-If Only we'd but "Do the Right Thing"!

I Shudder at such Embarrassing Chastisement! as he may so Give!

What a Morale Boost!, -his Prescence would be to us / U.S.! In these Times and Circumstances of ours!

But also *accompanied* by such Bitter Pill as I speak of! And an "egg" that *we* only quite Self-Shamedly laid for ourselves!, -at that!

Come On!, -Lets DO Ourselves and Good Ole George!, -One Better of Ourselves than that! (Like an old Shampoo commercial I saw in the early to mid 60s as a kid, -"*Don't* Wait to be Told!,..."),-Most Embarrassingly have to be Told! If we Don't Know some of the First Things that we're at least Suppossedly All About!, -some of "Freedom's 101s"!,...-Then I just Sadly Shake my Head! "Sad Commentary on us / U.S.!...

I find myself beginning to tread dangerously into some political waters now, -and so shall now Depart. I happen to have so said my Peace anyway.

With the exception of one more little thing!

Which is, -Wouldn't it have been Great!, -if say 4 Modern Day American Fighters, -could suddenly find themselves Time Warped back onto the Scene! Of one of our Key Revolutionary War Battles! And in Knowing that those are Washington and his Fellow American Forces below, -scream in and Lay All they've Got! Onto our then British Enemy (Tis a Regrettable Shame!) Forces over there on the other Hill! As our Valley Forge and other Continental Army typicals Behold the Welcome Sight so! And perhaps Seeing "U.S. Air Force", and "U.S. Navy", (And lets not forget "U.S. Marines") on their Side, -think to themselves, -"God Lord!, -What we are Destined to Become!" "IF Only we will Keep at It!"...

Well here in our Own American Day and Time, -*We've* Got to Keep that Samesuch Advice!

Again, -What would Good Old George Think!? What would he Think, Say, and Do!? It is *we* who are to now do that!, -here in his Stead! (Properly Adapted for Apaches and All, of course...). That Underlying "Spirit of it All"! That FIGHT in us / U.S.!...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.