Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#95266 - 05/22/07 04:03 PM Survival Straws: Are They Worth It ?
BigCityHillbilly Offline
Journeyman

The "survival straw" is said to provide an effective method for extracting drinking water from ponds and rivers, thanks to the presence of an internal element that supposedly purifies the water before it enters the mouth.

I have at least two (2) survival straws tucked away in my backpack, and they've been sitting there, unused, for approximately seven or eight years or so. I know of at least one survival author who recommends survival straws (I believe that it was Mr. Keller in "Keller's Outdoor Survival Guide"). I am somewhat apprehensive about using them, however, because if they don't work, then it could mean that my family and friends will end up with a severe case or "giadiosis" or worse.

Do you think that it's good idea to carry a survival straw with you when camping or traveling around in wilderness areas, or do you think that it would be a better idea to chuck them into the trash ? LW.

#95277 - 05/22/07 06:12 PM Re: Survival Straws: Are They Worth It ? [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Here's a summary of the information I could find:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...=true#Post81654

#95280 - 05/22/07 06:50 PM Re: Survival Straws: Are They Worth It ? [Re: NightHiker]
adam Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island, NY
NightHiker,

Do you find it easy to "suck" the water through that filter? I've always thought about that filter but was afraid of the reduced flow.

Adam

#95283 - 05/22/07 07:13 PM Re: Survival Straws: Are They Worth It ? [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I have one that is a filter. But it is exactly that: A FILTER. It will remove Gardia and Cryptosporidium with it's 0.2 micro filter. It will not remove virus's. Fortunatly most viruses are easy to kill with chemical purification. It is intended for use in situations where I cannot (for whatever reason) treat the water with MP-1 tablets or I am limited to whatever puri-tabs I can obtain locally. That would probably mean Iodine or Chlorine tablets. Possibly using a Vitamin C tablet from the local chemists as a neutralising tablet in order to make it drinkable afterwards.

So the plan is: Fill the bottle. Tab it. Neutralise it before drinking and than suck the water up through the straw from the bottle.

#95309 - 05/22/07 11:35 PM Re: Survival Straws: Are They Worth It ? [Re: NightHiker]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I had one about 20 years ago, when I finally got around to trying it, the old "...suck a golf ball thru a garden hose..." story came to mind...

#95312 - 05/22/07 11:45 PM Re: Survival Straws: Are They Worth It ? [Re: NightHiker]
smitty Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
Sawyer now makes a filter, or should I say purifier, that will remove viruses without the use of chemicals. They also claim an approximate purifier filter life of 3000 gallons. I've been considering purchasing one for several weeks now. I can't find anyone who has tried them out. I believe they are pretty new to the market.
The second link below has more information and also has a link to videos.
The price of the SP135 Purifier Kit shows to be $122.90 on Sawyers website but I found them for $79.00 at Moontrail.com

Sawyer Viral Purifiers

Just Drink

smitty

#95321 - 05/23/07 12:56 AM Re: Survival Straws: Are They Worth It ? [Re: smitty]
Ponce Offline

Loc: In the woods of Oregon.
I carry and use a straw and something else, two silver rods and three nine volts connected in line it will kill all bugs.

"To be ready is not"... Ponce

#95332 - 05/23/07 02:36 AM Re: Survival Straws: Are They Worth It ? [Re: adam]
Boater Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: adam
NightHiker,

Do you find it easy to "suck" the water through that filter? I've always thought about that filter but was afraid of the reduced flow.

Adam

I had one years ago. It was like trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose.
I threw it away.

#95335 - 05/23/07 02:59 AM Re: Survival Straws: Are They Worth It ? [Re: Boater]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Boater, you copycat... smile smile smile

#95344 - 05/23/07 05:20 AM Re: Survival Straws: Are They Worth It ? [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
7 or 8 years ago.... Isn't that the time that the FDA ordered them off the shelves becuase they didn't work as promised and that promise was only like a 4 or 5 micron filter? If they are the ones I remember, they had a finite shelf life, no more than five years IIRC.

Yeah, they sucked, and they are probably stale. Try the McNett, a lot of people like it. I've got my reservations, but YMMV.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.