The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#95006 - 05/18/07 03:15 PM Re: Razzle-Dazzle to the EXTREME [Re: norad45]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I don't have the details, my info source is a company safety bulletin. No mention has been made as to fault and the Rules of the Road have changed since those days. Fault is not the issue, complacency and lack of attention to details is the point of the post.

I know from personal and professional experience that a sailor who gets into EXTREMIS this often and fails to avoid the situations as he had; indicates there is a problem with that person.

There were other vessels that were slightly less in size than the White Star TRIO (OLYMPIC, TITANIC, and BRITANIC), but it wasn't that big of a difference and the laws of Physics don't change.

By the way, OLYMPIC ran ground and became a wreck.
BRITANIC became a Hospital Ship and was torpedoed and sunk around the Greek Islands in the Aegean Sea, I believe.

Perhaps it was an extremely UNLUCKY design as well as everything else.

#95007 - 05/18/07 03:17 PM Re: Razzle-Dazzle to the EXTREME [Re: OldBaldGuy]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I'm not a sailor by any means, but from all I have seen/read (mainly Hollywood I am afraid), it seems that his biggest booboo, as far as the Titanic goes, was failing to SLOW DOWN when entering a known area of iceburgs. Wanting some type of speed record was his undoing, and of course all of the passengers and crew. Seems like poor judgement to me...

My understanding was that the Titanic was not capable of breaking any speed record crossing the Atlantic. She was going to be known for her size and opulance rather than as a greyhound.

However, the profit by the owners would increase by taking a fast route. This possible would mean less meals served for passengers, bonuses for delivery of mail and/or cargo. Remember, crossings weren't measured by minutes in those days. Shaving significant hours off the schedule made the difference.

#95008 - 05/18/07 03:29 PM Re: Razzle-Dazzle to the EXTREME [Re: BrianTexas]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Actually, she was trying to break the time/speed record for an Atlantic Crossing, according to Bruce Ismay's testimony. He denied pressuring Capt Smith on that point but who knows.

I know that there are times that the company has wanted me to do this or that and I (and many other Capt's), have refused until conditions have changed/improved. That's what it takes to keep things safe!

#95012 - 05/18/07 04:15 PM Re: Razzle-Dazzle to the EXTREME [Re: wildman800]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: wildman800
He was valued by White Star Line because of his abiity to schmooze with the 1st class passengers, not for his attention to details or his leadership abilities.

Sounds like Captain Stubing from The Love Boat. I don't think I ever saw him on the bridge at all.

#95014 - 05/18/07 04:30 PM Re: Razzle-Dazzle to the EXTREME [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I just did some googling on Capt Smith, found this and this . Both fail to mention most of the incidents listed in the original post here, and the two they do mention make them appear to be very minor incidents. Altho I still think that blasting along at full speed in iceburg country is a bad idea, it is possible that we have been a tad too hard on the good captain here...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.