Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#9492 - 09/26/02 04:21 PM Repackaging Potable Aqua Revisted
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

While surfing around for tiny glass vials to repackage iodine tablets, I ran across the following site:<br><br>http://www.clmorgan.com/gvial.htm#tiny<br><br>They offer 1/2 inch tall amber glass vials. Seems perfect, but I wonder about the "screw-top polycone seal caps" and if they would react with the iodine or if you could just put some cotton between the tablets and the cap and be good to go.<br><br>Also found some plain round tins that might be useful:<br><br>http://www.specialtybottle.com/tins.html

Edited by gear_freak (09/26/02 04:32 PM)

#9493 - 09/27/02 12:07 AM Re: Repackaging Potable Aqua Revisted
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ive become quite fond of "Ranger Rick's" method using drinking straws and silicone sealant.<br><br>btw: its good to be home. I "survived" two weeks in Canton Mississippi.

Edited by kf4ebp (09/27/02 12:09 AM)

#9494 - 09/30/02 01:15 AM Re: Repackaging Potable Aqua Revisted
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have just gotten around to rplacing all of my expired medications from my PSK. I have repackaged the potable aqua as Doug has prescribed but what I ahev found scares me a bit. The instructions around the vial and everything near it has turned brown. <br><br>A final question is if the tablets change from gray to brown does that mean they are no-longer any good.

#9495 - 09/30/02 04:06 AM Re: Repackaging Potable Aqua Revisted
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

Hmm. I would think if the instructions turned brown that the container you're using doesn't have a proper seal. The iodine vapor has probably reacted with the pulp.

#9496 - 09/30/02 06:58 PM Re: Repackaging Potable Aqua Revisted
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been in e-mail contact with WPC, so I've edited out non-essential info from the letter.<br><br>Me: "When the tabs have changed colors, is<br>this a sure fire sign that the tabs have gone bad?"<br><br>"Not necessarily. The tablets do change color over time this is OK. When the tablets turn whitish and have a crumbly texture the tablets have expired.<br><br>Once the bottle is open, the seal is broken. Opened bottles will only last approximately one year.<br><br>Sincerely<br>Jean xxxxxx<br>Regulatory Coordinator<br>WPC Brands<br>800/ 558-xxxx"<br><br>I hope this helps. smile

#9497 - 09/30/02 07:45 PM Re: Repackaging Potable Aqua Revisted
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks for checking!

#9498 - 09/30/02 09:11 PM Re: Repackaging Potable Aqua Revisted
Anonymous
Unregistered

No problem. I also think it's important to realize the difference between conversations on and off the records. WPC has to make sure they CTA. But I believe Jean provided a good way to check if the iodine has degraded.<br><br>I also have been in discussion with them about them manufacturing the potable aqua in smaller packages. Some may find the following of value:<br><br>Me: "Is there any chance we would see potable aqua in a smaller container instead of a bottle of 50. Maybe in a bottle that has a smaller profile and holds maybe 25 instead. I know many people are repackaging potable aqua in order to fit it into hiking, camping, and canoeing kits. For many people, potable aqua provides insurance on a hike or camping trip in case water filters break or boiling is unavailable. The smaller bottle would more likely to be carried on their person when it is needed most, in an emergency. I would be more than happy to round up some ..... interest in such a product. I don't know if it would be cost effective, but that's a different story alltogether. "<br><br>The Response:<br>"I am forwarding your question on to marketing and giving you the regulatory answer.<br><br>Potable Aqua is registered with the Environmental Protection Agency for emergency drinking water. The EPA requires proper labeling of our product. Virtually everything on the bottle label is required by the EPA. In addition we are currently changing our labeling to include addition verbiage<br>required by the EPA. ( We will be printing on the back side of the wrap around.) WPC Brands has investigated packaging this product into a smaller package, but do to the label requirement it's basically impossible. In addition the glass bottle gives the product a better shelf life than plastic or a foil strip pack. The glass bottle we are currently using is one of the smallest glass bottles available. <br>As a side point the glass bottle used for Potable Aqua is the same bottle that we package the US Military's purification tablets in, which are used by our troops.<br><br>Sincerely<br>Jean xxxxx"<br><br>I'll let everyone know what I hear from their marketing department if interested.<br><br>Oh, and gear freak, I'm not trying to take away from your topic. I think it's great that you found new containers for PA. I'm just hoping we can avoid repackaging all together.

#9499 - 09/30/02 11:52 PM Re: Repackaging Potable Aqua Revisted
Anonymous
Unregistered

The original bottles use a medal lid then seal the bottle with some sort of material attached to a piece ofsealing paper (whatever you call it). On my next try I will take the wrapper, trim it down and put it into the lid before screwing the lid on.<br><br>As to the jars leaking, I am using the same type suggested by Doug I wonder if this gives him a different result.

#9500 - 10/01/02 12:10 AM Re: Repackaging Potable Aqua Revisted
Anonymous
Unregistered

I found some small aluminium capsules (about 1/2 the size of the little glass bottles they come in) with a screw top and a rubber gasket seal at REI in the impulse items by the checkouts.<br><br>They look to be perfect for tabs.

#9501 - 10/01/02 12:27 AM Re: Repackaging Potable Aqua Revisted
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

Hey, no problem. Your investigation is far more interesting than my net find! Keep us posted.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.