Stranger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Not bad, thanks.

#94975 - 05/18/07 12:35 AM Re: New Water Storage Container [Re: ArtyB]
RobertD Offline
A Legend in my own mind
stranger

Loc: Myrtle Beach SC
HoooBoy! I think I gave the guy at HEWS a heart attack. I called them and referred then to the WaterBob website. After the guy dropped the phone, he picked it back up and I swear almost started crying. I really think they had no idea that there was another product out there like theirs.

Looking at the WaterBob it sure looks alike, I like the price better but I wonder if this HEWS costs more due to things like thickness of the bag and the accessories, ect. I told them they should check out www.equipped.org and maybe send the product in to be reviewed.

#95122 - 05/20/07 09:29 PM Re: New Water Storage Container [Re: Ponce]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: Ponce
I would buy a better one......is called a "water bed".....would hold around 200 gallons and all that you would have to do is to put a couple of spoonfull of clorox before filling it.

If you want you can change the water every couple of years, good for drinking, toilet or whatever.

If you are referring to an actual waterbed (a bed matress of water), I believe they recommend you NOT use them for water storage because the insides of the bladders contain an anti-algae or anti-microbial compound or some other tasty chemical.

#95163 - 05/21/07 01:56 PM Re: New Water Storage Container [Re: RobertD]
jdobbs2001 Offline
stranger

Interesting idea but I have 5, 5 gallon reliance water containers that I fill during hurricane watch/warnings. The problem with this system is what happens if you get enough damage to puncture the container? 4mil means it can get leaks eventually.

#99363 - 07/08/07 08:38 PM Re: New Water Storage Container [Re: Doug_Ritter]
ZenEngineer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Looks like a cheapo copy of the original WaterBOB for twice the cost.

http://www.waterbob.com/

We have two to test, which I hope to do in the next couple weeks.

It's been a few weeks since this post. Any chance of a review?

#99426 - 07/09/07 01:30 PM Re: New Water Storage Container [Re: ZenEngineer]
WillCAD Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Interesting ideas, both the HEWS and the WaterBOB (Oh, it's YOU Bob!)

I like that they both fold away flat and small when not needed, and the idea of an integrated hand pump is very practical, too.

GarlyDog is correct that neither system appears to be mobile; they both look as if they couldn't be moved out of the bathtub once full. But I think that in home preparation, you can afford redundancy that weight and size restrictions would prohibit in a BOB or PSK designed for pocket or vehicle use; in other words, keep the bottled water, and fill up one of these puppies in advance of a storm, as well.

I'm going to recommend these systems to some of my friends who live in Hurricane Alley, as a supplement to their bottled water. If all else fails, the additional fresh water can be used for bathing and flushing the toilet, but it's nice to know you've got a high-capacity bladder of potable water should you need it.

#99431 - 07/09/07 02:06 PM Re: New Water Storage Container [Re: WillCAD]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Another thought is that the bath tub is the last refuge if the wind is ripping your house appart. My understanding is that most houses in Florida do not have basements.

It might make the tub a more comfortable place if it can hold your weight or it might take up a safe hiding place.

Edited by GarlyDog (07/09/07 02:07 PM)

#99506 - 07/10/07 03:30 AM Re: New Water Storage Container [Re: RobertD]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
I usually fill one or more of our tubs as a storm approaches, just for washing and flushing. I wouldn't be afraid of drinking it though if we had to. Could always boil, filter or treat it.

I use a little clear packing tape around the drain to seal it. That cleans up a lot easier than RTV or other sealant. Or lining the tub with plastic sheeting or a plastic shower curtain will seal it in a pinch.

45 gallons of water is not that expensive to store. I store a lot of 1 gallon jugs from Wal-Mart at about 60 cents a gallon, including container and packed 3 jugs per box. 2 liter soda bottles are a lot sturdier and are essentially free.

#99511 - 07/10/07 04:25 AM Re: New Water Storage Container [Re: RobertD]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: RobertD
At 45 gallons, this could give a family of four, more than 10 days of drinking water at a gallon of water per person per day.

Considering the humidity and the amount of work you might have to do during cleanup, you might want to consider at least 2 or 3 gallons of water per person per day.

#99724 - 07/12/07 05:54 PM Re: New Water Storage Container [Re: RobertD]
flylow Offline
stranger

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: RobertD
HoooBoy! I think I gave the guy at HEWS a heart attack. I called them and referred then to the WaterBob website. After the guy dropped the phone, he picked it back up and I swear almost started crying. I really think they had no idea that there was another product out there like theirs.

The HEWS now has a "Special Internet Price" of $39.95 marked down from $49.95. I guess RobertD's phone call shook 'em up a bit...

-phil

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (chaosmagnet, Doug_Ritter), 176 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by brandtb
41 minutes 55 seconds ago
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.