Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#94928 - 05/17/07 03:16 PM New Water Storage Container
RobertD Offline
A Legend in my own mind
stranger

Loc: Myrtle Beach SC
I saw this on my local TV news and thought I'd pass this along.

A company is making a storage container that'll turn a bathtub into a 45 gallon fresh water storage. It looks pretty sturdy and is one of those "why didn't I think of this" type of things, called a HEWS (Home Emergency Water System)

Their website is http://www.hewsystem.com

It looks like they are just taking reservations for orders for now, but when I called the phone number on the website, they told me that they should be able to sell online by the weekend. They're working on having it in stores along the Southeastern & Gulf Coasts by summertime. Until they do, the only way to buy one will be over the internet or by phone. The guy I talked to said they're going to have a booth at a big world-wide Hurricane Disaster Conference to be held Memorial Day Weekend in Atlanta Ga.

According to the TV report, it's a 45 gallon bag made from 2-ply food grade polyetheline. It comes with a siphon hand pump, a filler tube, and caps for dispensing and storage. I guessing that it could also work outside, in a back bed of a truck, ect. Seeing it on TV, it looks real sturdy.

I guess the plan is to fill up the bag before a hurricane in the tub using tap water. Then you'll have clean drinking water for several days after. I fill up my bathtub before a big storm, but it's hard to keep the water from draining out and I'd never drink from it, just use it to wash and flush the commode. With this I would.

I got my name on the list when they start selling.
Check it out.
RobertD

#94930 - 05/17/07 03:22 PM Re: New Water Storage Container [Re: RobertD]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
It looks good, but what is the cost?? I didn't see the cost listed.

#94931 - 05/17/07 03:27 PM Re: New Water Storage Container [Re: wildman800]
RobertD Offline
A Legend in my own mind
stranger

OOps! I forgot...$49.95

#94933 - 05/17/07 03:35 PM Re: New Water Storage Container [Re: wildman800]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Good idea and I agree, it is better than just filling the bathtub.

Their are a few drawbacks to consider:

1. It doesn't look like you can move it once it's filled. You may want to consider storing some water in smaller (5 gallon or smaller) movable containers too.

2. If you don't get any warning of a impending crisis, it won't be much help.

3. It seems like work to prepare before every major storm. I would prefer to store water in containers that can stay in storage and then be rotated once every 6 months or so. They you will always be ready.

#94937 - 05/17/07 03:53 PM Re: New Water Storage Container [Re: RobertD]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Looks like I'll be ordering a couple then.

#94938 - 05/17/07 04:00 PM Re: New Water Storage Container [Re: RobertD]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
For events with a bit of warning, like severe weather, this sounds like a great idea. Could be great gifts for people who aren't "into" preparedness and don't want to normally store containers of water around the house. Even those kinds of people will generally feel the need to stock up on bottled water when a hurricane is headed their way. This gives you a good amount of stored water with minimal hassle and easy emptying afterwards. Certainly less hassle than frantically trying to buy all the bottled water at the local supermarket just before the storm hits.

#94940 - 05/17/07 04:12 PM Re: New Water Storage Container [Re: GarlyDog]
RobertD Offline
A Legend in my own mind
stranger

You got some good points, but around here when a hurricane is coming (it's the big threat around here) we usually have plenty of time to prepare, at least 72 hours before. As for storing water, tap water doesn't keep too well long term unless you treat it, and I'm not too keen on taking up the space that 45 gallons of water would use.
At 45 gallons, this could give a family of four, more than 10 days of drinking water at a gallon of water per person per day. The longest I've ever spent without safe water at my house was 5 days after Hurricane Hugo. We lost electricty, so we lost our well water until l I could rig a generator. Even after that, we had to boil & bleach our water to be safe, or use storebought. Without electricity, we used a Coleman stove and prayed we didn't run out of fuel.

I like the idea of not having to buy bottled water, 45 gallons of storebought drinking water costs big$$! And can you imagine trying to carry out over 300 pounds of water out of Wal-Mart during the build-up to a storm?

#94943 - 05/17/07 05:30 PM Re: New Water Storage Container [Re: RobertD]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Looks like a cheapo copy of the original WaterBOB for twice the cost.

http://www.waterbob.com/

We have two to test, which I hope to do in the next couple weeks.

Edited by Doug_Ritter (05/17/07 05:34 PM)
Edit Reason: correction
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#94946 - 05/17/07 05:58 PM Re: New Water Storage Container [Re: NightHiker]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

I was going to mention the WaterBob. Those have been selling on Ebay for $25 for at least the past year or so, it looks like someone copied the idea. I've read some preliminary reviews on other sites, and it seems to work well, and i think it even comes with a siphon to get the water out.

#94953 - 05/17/07 06:41 PM Re: New Water Storage Container [Re: ducktapeguy]
Ponce Offline

Loc: In the woods of Oregon.
I would buy a better one......is called a "water bed".....would hold around 200 gallons and all that you would have to do is to put a couple of spoonfull of clorox before filling it.

If you want you can change the water every couple of years, good for drinking, toilet or whatever.

"To be ready is not"... Ponce

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.