The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#94839 - 05/16/07 08:43 PM Survival/Camping Buddy
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Hi I'm looking for a camping buddy.I want to learn how to start campfires, use a compass, gut a fish..etc. I pretty much want to learn all outdoors skills.I've been reading a lot about these subjects & joined forums that talk about all this stuff, but it's not the same as going out there and doing it.I have a bunch of gear, but I haven't been able to use it.I'm looking to meet someone that wants to go hiking, backpacking, fishing & camping. You don't have to be Bear Grylls or Survorman.We can even learn together. If thats the case, we'll start slow with a few day hikes & work our way up to camping.If you're interested in having some outdoor adventures with me, drop me a line.

PS: I live in Northern Jersey

#94843 - 05/16/07 09:24 PM Re: Survival/Camping Buddy [Re: Themalemutekid]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
You might check out the AMC Chapter for NY& North Jersey. They will have local hiking and camping events, as well as events that they sponsor to the White's in NH. You can find a pointer to their home at the AMC's main site:
www.outdoors.org
Generally really friendly folks, many have decades of experience to share, others just starting out. It might be a good way to be able to have some fun, get outdoors, and learn some new skills with some old hands around. I don't know how active that chapter is, but, I know the ones in Mass and NH are always doing something.

- Ron

#94875 - 05/17/07 02:46 AM Re: Survival/Camping Buddy [Re: Be_Prepared]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, now that I am back from Australia, and in New Jersey, I might have to take you up on that offer. One question, where were you a year ago when I was sitting here all by myself with nothing to do and no one to share with?

Just kidding around. Send me a pm and let's talk. I don't have all my goods here yet, most of what I own, including the wife, is still back in Denver, but we can at least make fire and stick some knives in things and such. I hope you like to eat (ask anyone who knows me on this forum and you'll understand why I say that).

I've been looking at a couple different outdoor groups 'round here.

Looking forward to talking with you.

#94916 - 05/17/07 02:00 PM Re: Survival/Camping Buddy [Re: benjammin]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Greetings fellow Joisy residents!

My wife would probably frown on me disappearing into the woods with a bunch of strange men I met on the internet, so I don't know if we'll ever have the opportunity to meet frown

However, I'd really like to exchange info on good hiking/camping/surviving areas in norther NJ.

There are tons of smallish parcels of public land for day hiking, but the only place I know of for "wilderness" camping is if you are through hiking on the Appalachian Trail. But even there, no fires allowed and they'd probably frown on natural shelter building. I guess what you really need is private property...

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#94922 - 05/17/07 03:03 PM Re: Survival/Camping Buddy [Re: thseng]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: thseng
disappearing into the woods with a bunch of strange men I met on the internet

I assure you & your dear wife, there shall be no brokeback camping incident...LOL. It does seem as if we here in Jersey have pretty slim-pickins', when it comes to truly wild wilderness areas.So, yeah I'd like to share info on where to camp & hike.Also, if all goes well i may be hanging with Ben & you sir are welcomed to come with us the more the merrier.

#94924 - 05/17/07 03:08 PM Re: Survival/Camping Buddy [Re: thseng]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Don't forget about High Point State Park in Northern NJ. I and my wife used to have some great primitive camping trips up there, and no, that was before I started bringing a porta-potty to keep her comfortable.

#94939 - 05/17/07 04:07 PM Re: Survival/Camping Buddy [Re: wildman800]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

wildman, as far as I can tell, NJ state parks don't seem to allow any "primitive" camping. For example High Point:
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/highpoint.html#camp

Their idea of "wilderness" is that you have haul your gear from the parking lot rather than park your car of RV right at the site.

#94956 - 05/17/07 07:27 PM Re: Survival/Camping Buddy [Re: Themalemutekid]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Themalemutekid
So, yeah I'd like to share info on where to camp & hike.Also, if all goes well i may be hanging with Ben & you sir are welcomed to come with us the more the merrier.

Thanks for the invite. I may yet take you up on it, so feel free to keep me posted.

Here are some day hiking areas in my neck of the woods that are good for a couple of hours and a couple of miles:

http://www.njskylands.com/odhikewarrennra.htm

http://www.washington-twp-warren.org/Gov...sive_parks.html

http://www.co.hunterdon.nj.us/depts/parks/guides/PointMountain.htm

http://www.co.hunterdon.nj.us/depts/parks/guides/Charleston%20Reservation.htm

The last one was where these photos were taken:
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=90855&page=0

These areas are quite small, so if you do get lost you just need to travel in a straight line for a mile at most and you'll hit a road.

#94960 - 05/17/07 08:17 PM Re: Survival/Camping Buddy [Re: Themalemutekid]
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted By: Themalemutekid
Hi I'm looking for a camping buddy.I want to learn how to start campfires, use a compass, gut a fish..etc. I pretty much want to learn all outdoors skills.

Join the Boy Scouts of America; we do all those things. I don't know your age but the adults have leader training and we practice those skills while camping, hiking, backpacking, etc. There is an adult leader class called Outdoor Skills. The boys have to learn all of those skills to advance in rank and earn merit badges.

BSA
Making great men, one boy at a time!

#94964 - 05/17/07 10:16 PM Re: Survival/Camping Buddy [Re: Craig_phx]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Craig_phx
Join the Boy Scouts of America; we do all those things.

You read my mind! Scouting is great for boys and adults alike.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 387 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.