Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#94773 - 05/16/07 04:40 AM First aid certification companies?
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
I just finished taking a SCUBA class at school, and have become a Padi certified open water diver. Now that the Scuba class has ended I still have a month of school left. To occupy the gap in my schedual, the Scuba instructor is offering an optional First Aid / CPR / AED class. However, the class he is teaching is not Red Cross but "emergency first response"

I am already CPR / First Aid / Lifeguard certified through Red Cross, but my certs are soon to expire. I still remember most (if not all of my training) so the reason I would take any additional first aid classes would be for the re-certification. I don't need certs for work anymore, and the only time I would ever use the cert would be to help a family member, friend, or some stranger in need of aid smile

I am not familiar with "emergency first response." In the real world is their certification worth anything? The reason I ask is because the class is not free.

Oh yeah, here is a link to their site http://www.emergencyfirstresponse.com/

Thanks, Rio

#94798 - 05/16/07 01:32 PM Re: First aid certification companies? [Re: Rio]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Sorry, I have never heard of them.

Unless things have changed in the last thirty or so years, you used to be able to take Red Cross certified classes at local junior/community colleges, for a very small fee. Sometimes you can get a free CPR recert at firestations/hospitals/poice stations. Something to check out...

#94813 - 05/16/07 03:26 PM Re: First aid certification companies? [Re: Rio]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Been in EMS the last 10 years (CA) and never heard of it. Why not ask the instructor, or some of the EMS or public service agencies in that area?

#94815 - 05/16/07 03:47 PM Re: First aid certification companies? [Re: Rio]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I just skimmed their website. It doesn't say whether their curriculum is based on any particular set of standards, like the Red Cross curriculum. However, if you go to their accreditation webpage, you'll see a list of organizations that have accredited their program or who accept their courses for certification, including satisfying Federal OSHA regulations, so their curriculum seems sound and you'll have a legitimate certification, but not a Red Cross one.

However, there can be variations in certain things between Red Cross and other systems. Not necessarily in content, but even just the terminology may differ from all the refresher Red Cross classes you've taken in the past, which may or may not turn out to be confusing for you under pressure. Well, that's totally a personal thing that only you can evaluate. On the other hand, often, learning about something familiar, but from a different angle, will actually help reinforce and remember what you've already remembered, so it goes both ways.

Anyway, hope that helps.

#94817 - 05/16/07 04:00 PM Re: First aid certification companies? [Re: Rio]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
I just had to re-do my Red Cross First Aid, CPR, AED. It was about $75, took most of a Saturday. The First Aid is good for 3 years, and the CPR/AED for 1 year. I couldn't find anyone local doing the American Heart Assoc. CPR course, which gives you 2 years. I happen to need it for some of the trips we take with the Scouts. I would have rather renewed my SOLO WFA cert, but, the course being held locally is on a weekend I can't attend.

I think you'll find that Red Cross and American Heart Association are recognized certifications anywhere in the US. Most places also will recognize organizations like SOLO and the NOLS Wilderness Medicine Institute courses in WFA, WFR, and WEMT.

I'm not sure what your instructor means by Emergency First Response either. There are First Responder certifications, and Wilderness First Responder certifications provided by several agencies.

- Ron

#94830 - 05/16/07 06:45 PM Re: First aid certification companies? [Re: Be_Prepared]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
The reason I was considering this class is because it is extremely convenient for me, it's already set up, already fits my schedule, I'm already on campus when it's offered, it won't take up a weekend, etc. However, from the sound of it, I think I'd be better off renewing my Red Cross certs. Simply because the Red Cross cert will be good pretty much anywhere, no questions asked smile

Thanks for your help, Rio

#94874 - 05/17/07 02:41 AM Re: First aid certification companies? [Re: Rio]
Rick Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Baltmore MD
I think your state would have a lot to do with needing Frist responder certs. Here in Maryland all the country police had to have it. Also firefighter were incoraged to get it. There is also a "Wilderness Frist Responder class", which I took.

For the most part you will learn most of the stills of an EMT-B which I just recieved in march. If you plan to go on in the EMS world or do SAR; I would say It's a great frist step. You could also check out these sites.
http://www.nols.edu/wmi/courses/wildfirstresponder.shtml

http://www.soloschools.com/wfr.html

http://www.wildmed.com/

All three are very good schools, I got my WFR though Medical Associates. But again all three are good.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.