The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#94397 - 05/11/07 03:42 PM Re: Readiness Levels?? [Re: BrianTexas]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
That's exactly why I posted it!!! Thanks for the compliment.

#94410 - 05/11/07 06:06 PM Re: Readiness Levels?? [Re: wildman800]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

Nice idea.

With all your time up there in the boondocks with the cats and deer, why don't you make a list of all the different (???-con) conditions and then post it.

It would be interesting to a bunch of us if we had a list like that and then set down and rated our personel situations.

I would like to add (TER-CON) I live in lower Calif. and this is a definite possibility.

Sorry, I just reread your post and you already had (threat-con)

Edited by big_al (05/11/07 06:09 PM)

#94412 - 05/11/07 06:28 PM Re: Readiness Levels?? [Re: big_al]
BlackSwan Offline

I have such a list.
Awhile back, I spent/invested time writing down everything bad I could think of that could happen to me.
They were then ranked according to the probability of occuring.
Then I went through the list methodically and made contingency plans for each.

The back of the envelope ranking system:
If it had occurred to me or near certainty of occuring: highest rank
If it had occurred to someone I know: 2nd rank
If it had occurred to somebody: third rank
If I could imagine it could occur: 4th rank

Highest rankings are health problems, unemployment, financial busts and the like, not armegeddon.

Of course, then I learned about black swans, which made the whole exercise much less valuable.

#94427 - 05/11/07 08:30 PM Re: Readiness Levels?? [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
There is a checklist attached to each condition of readiness.

HurCon 5: Automatically set at the beginning of Hurricane Season (01Jun) and is automatically secured at the end of the Hurricane Season (01Dec). Upon setting HurCon 5; I update my emergency supply inventory, top off all of my 5gal gas cans (stabilized), Swap out all of my stored water, update the Hurricane Contingency Plans, and review the plans with my wife.

HurCon 4: Set when expected landfall is within 72 hours and within range to affect me and my family. Upon setting HurCon 4; I go to Home Depot and pick up a sufficient quantity of 2" deck screws (if I'm running short), 1"x4" and 1"x12" pine boards to install shutters over the windows and doors (1"x4") that have them and to board up over the few windows that don't have shutters. I keep the vehicle gas tanks above 1/2 tank levels. Go to the grocery store and top off the pantry with normal foodstuffs. Insure that all propane bottles are topped off. Insure that battery supplies are sufficient. Insure that flashlights and lanterns are working.

HurCon 3: Set when expected landfall is 48 hours away and is close enough to affect me and my family. Upon setting HurCon 3; Review checklists for any missing items or chores that remain to be done. Top off all vehicle fuel tanks.

HurCon 2: Set when expected landfall is 24 hours away and is close enough to affect me and my family. Prepare our Hurricane Shelter area within the house (the main hall next to the bathroom). Secure all missile hazards in the yard. Tie down everything that needs tying down. Install shutters or board up all windows and doors, except for 1 front door and 1 back door. Top off all BOB's.

HurCon 1: Set just prior to expected landfall. Set up in the Hurricane Shelter (inside of my home) and start dealing cards, monitoring the TV (as long as power lasts), and radio broadcasts, monitor what the storm is doing in my neighborhood (from the safety of my house), for the duration of the storm. Be prepared to grab BOB's and run to higher ground, if worse case scenario were to develope.

That's the way that that I use this system which was started by DoD and is exercised by the military.

#94433 - 05/11/07 09:41 PM Re: Readiness Levels?? [Re: wildman800]
DBAGuy Offline
dedicated member

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
I thought I was the only one getting ready for an outbreak of Mutant Biker Zombies.

#94672 - 05/15/07 03:40 AM Re: Readiness Levels?? [Re: wildman800]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
I'm hearing the B-NICE acronym

Biological
Nuclear
Incendiary
Chemical
Explosive

The list of things only highly trained people deal with. Everyone else run. Excuse me. Proceed slowly away in a calm and orderly fashion.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 468 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.