Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 18 of 19 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 >
Topic Options
#219121 - 03/14/11 05:56 PM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: wileycoyote]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I was not so lucky. Both of my peanuts are loosing their juice in about 2 weeks of pocket carry (body heat?) even with gaskets (o-rings) on. So I'm using a piece of ducktape over it - that's fine because as I quit smocking several years ago - I don't really need it on a daily basis.

By the way, just took a shot of my recently reworked EDC piece, which I'm wearing on the belt all the time:

(click to enlarge)

I'm using the Costco's Leatherman Wave set as the kit base, which comes with the AAA Solitaire flashlight (I've upgraded it with LED module) and a pouch. The lighter sits on the bottom of the pouch and is reliably locked in place together with the flashlight by the flashlight lanyard's ring (it's on on both images). I'm using the bright orange ducktape because it's thinner and its surface looks more airtight compared to regular one. Also it's good for marking the trail - very visible.

#219122 - 03/14/11 06:09 PM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: wileycoyote]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Paul810
I wish they had the attachment point on the other end.

Another important point - the lighter can stand on its base working as a candle. In fact, I was carrying mine in the jeans pocket on a key chain for several month (before putting the tape over it) - it's never unscrewed by itself.

Again, just by the way, the CountyComm have the smaller version of this great lighter in steel and titanium now: http://countycomm.com/tipeanutlighter.htm
Just bought one to experiment with a necklace kit for my scuba trips.

#219124 - 03/14/11 06:16 PM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: mrwilmoth]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
nice little kit alex.

no idea why your peanuts leak. maybe its a different brand (i imagine there are lots of copies).

tailstanding was one of the reasons i blow a wad on the Ti DeanJ peanut cover i purchased. i believe some of the newer peanut designs do have flat bottoms too, including a couple of the newer stainless and Ti versions.

#219129 - 03/14/11 06:55 PM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: mrwilmoth]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:
...oh and I think kd7fqd was replying to Blast with the purse comment

hahaha! thanks for the clarification NH. and thnx for the comment and welcome, buddy.

#219132 - 03/14/11 07:49 PM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: mrwilmoth]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
For what it's worth, I have two Countycomm peanuts and a split pea. When I check them every few months, they light on the first try and won't take more than a tiny bit of a refill.

Finding fuel is usually easy. Sometimes finding flints is hard. An old trick I learned with Zippos is to stick a spare flint in the bottom of the lighter. You lose a little bit of fuel capacity but for me it's worth it.

#219134 - 03/14/11 08:04 PM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: mrwilmoth]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Pockets:
1. Mobile Smartphone
2. Keys with Whistle, Ritter Pico Light, Tink SAK/USB key
3. Bandanna
4. Lighter
5. Wallet with some money, a metal business card, an SD card and a tiny pencil.

I now wear a Scott eVest everywhere. It looks like a regular jacket.

In there you'll find morestuff, including:

a. Charging cable for smartphone
b. Backup USB Battery for charging stuff
c. Leatherman Wave
d. Flat Duct Tape
e. Small FAK
f. Foldable Nylon Bag
g. Pens, Pencils, Rite in the Rain pad.

and other stuff that I think is better to have and not need than to need and not have....

#219137 - 03/14/11 08:37 PM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: chaosmagnet]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

...For what it's worth, I have two Countycomm peanuts... Sometimes finding flints is hard. An old trick I learned with Zippos is to stick a spare flint in the bottom of the lighter. You lose a little bit of fuel capacity but for me it's worth it.

i do the same thing, carrying spare flints in the bottom of the body.

one place i scrounge spare flints is in old empty disposable bic-type flint lighters. just rip them apart for the flint once you're sure there's no butane left in them.

#219259 - 03/15/11 04:15 PM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: mrwilmoth]
juhirvon Offline

First, some note on my clothes.

I'm lucky enough that I don't have to dress up for work. I can pretty much wear what I want, I usually drag my courier bag with me to any meetings I may have, and so have a pretty reliable access to the rest of the gear.

- I always wear good walking/hiking shoes (currently ankle-hight Goretex hiking sneakers as it's spring time and lots of puddles)
- 2x 1 metre lengths of paracord as shoe laces.
- Layered clothes, goretex jacket
- 1+ carabineers hanging from belt loops

On my indoor clothes:

- One of those nurses watches (never could learn to be comfortable with something around my wrist)
- A small LED light
- Leather belt
- A small folding pocket knife, tiny spark generator, small mirror (3x4cm), a small whistle and a 2 gallon oven bag folded and taped to the mirror on my key chain (dubbed affectionately my suicidal survival kit)
- Wallet (apart from random cash and cards, contains insurance info, emergency contact info and important phone numbers on waterproof paper, a fresnel magnifying glass and a few cafeteria coupons that would make good tinder)

Jacket pockets:

- Cell phone (kept fully charged)
- Leatherman Wave and the modified survival holster ( see here, seems to be loading slow as hell today)
- random papers I didn't know were there (for tinder or note keeping)
- pack of tissues, currently 8 large tissues, tinder or (relatively clean) wound dressings.
- Lint

In my courier bag

- 2 carabineers
- Pencils
- Paper (A sketch pad and some random papers tucked inside)
- a 30-litre fabric bag (I’ve carried up to 24 kg with it and no seam broke)
- 5 metres of paracord
- Digital camera
- Mini led-light
- Button compass
- Butane lighter
- Film can with bandages, pain killers, 4 butterfly sutures, dental floss and wound wipes and maybe 5 metres of both 1 cm wide skin tape and 4 cm wide duct tape wrapped around it
- Disposable rain poncho
- Lip balm
- A 0,75l water bottle (refilled at every opportunity, especially before leaving home or office).
- Spare moneys (I have two 20 euro bills and assortment of coins, about 50-60 euros worth in case I forget my wallet or it’s stolen)
- 2 needles and about 20 metres of strong twine
- MP3 player
- Plus there’s currently 8 safety pins attached to my bag.

#219262 - 03/15/11 04:50 PM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: juhirvon]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

What a great wealth of a hands on information from the first few post on the forum! Welcome to the group, juhirvon! From which part of EU you are? Could you please elaborate a bit more on the Wave's holster modifications and content?

Ah! Nevermind, I've followed your link - just fantastic! I love your DIY sparker.

#219274 - 03/15/11 05:47 PM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: Alex]
juhirvon Offline

Hi.

Thanks. I'm from Finland. At least until I muster the courage/"financial security" and/or wife's support to untie my our boat and sail to the horizon.

And yeah, in the previous post there's the link to the modified holster, but here's the synopsis.

Fitted inside the holster: Signal mirror, sterile scalpel, 5m of fishing line, 6 hooks, 8 split lead weights, a sewing needle, a home-made fire starter (spark wheel from a disposable lighter attached to a tube from a pen, full of cotton + vaseline tinder) and a 2 gallon oven bag (one you fit a whole chicken inside, technically a 2 gallon bag but can hold some 6 litres (1,5 gallons?) so that I can actually close it and carry it.

Also, 3 metres of strong sewing twine loosely stitched to one side. There's approximately and 2 and 3 metres of different tapes and 3 metres of snare wire, wrapped around the lid flap.

Seems a lot larger kit when you write it down, but it basically takes no more space than just the holster (but makes pulling the tool and especially putting it back in more difficult).

Page 18 of 19 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 287 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.