The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#94040 - 05/08/07 05:05 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: gatormba]
Misanthrope Offline

Loc: Chicago burbs
A solid 2.

Starting organizing kit and working new gear in in January. Never finished. Shoulder surgery in March. Spring time rolled around with it's assorted chores.

I guess in a bug in I'm good. Otherwise, it'll take me a day or two to get it together.

M

Discovering too many toys makes organization a pain in the ass.

#94041 - 05/08/07 05:14 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: Micah513]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
All very true and well documented,, but we didn't feel it down here. The shock waves went to the West, North, East, and Southeast directions. It was not felt down here because of the water to dirt ratio of the South Lousy-anna soil (it is all river silt).

#94043 - 05/08/07 05:31 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: wildman800]
Micah513 Offline

Loc: Springfield, MO
Originally Posted By: wildman800
All very true and well documented,, but we didn't feel it down here. The shock waves went to the West, North, East, and Southeast directions. It was not felt down here because of the water to dirt ratio of the South Lousy-anna soil (it is all river silt).

Fascinating. It's all simple physics, nice to know.

#94048 - 05/08/07 06:01 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: gatormba]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Bugging in, 7-8. Plenty of food, water, generator, gas, first-aid supplies.

Bugging out, 4. Living in Brooklyn, just getting out would be a major undertaking in any SHTF situation. Three million people, three bridges and one tunnel. I have a bugout kit with 5 days supplies, and a cabin about 100 miles from the city. Not much in the way of supplies there though. Can't get the family interested in spending the money it would take.

We also have a sailboat, but getting to it from home or work would require traveling across parts of Brooklyn you wouldn't want to be in even during normal times.

The Gowanus canal is about three blocks from my home, so I should probably start working on a plan where I have a small raft or boat that can travel under the draw bridges, then we could take that boat out into the harbor and reach the sailboat that way.

#94051 - 05/08/07 06:13 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: DesertFox]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I know the area that you are in (former VTS Sector Operator).

Taking a small boat from the Gowanus Canal to your sailboat may be very feasible. IF that option becomes unfeasible, try to plot a path away from the "normal escape routes/chokepoints" in order to get to your boat. You might have to head East before you can turn south and start working your way to the dock where your boat is.

During the garbage strike of 1980-81, vessels on the East River were attacked from the bridges and from both shores. Vessels in the Kill Van Kull and Arthur Kill were attacked from the shores near the bridges. No attacks were made on vessels that were on the Hudson River, Upper or Lower New York Harbors, or Raritan Bay. Vessels were attacked off of Coney Island by JFK. Keep in mind that these actions were conducted by Union types against "Scab" boats.

Not quite the situation that you are now looking at, based on the latest intel I am looking at (with my interpretations/opinions of what those reports reflect).

Where are you going to sail to in order to Bug-Out? Poughkeepsie and New Paltz are nice areas!

#94058 - 05/08/07 06:32 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: wildman800]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Yeah. It presents quite a problem. If the situation were to involve a lot of civil unrest, I can see where I would be vulnerable along the canal. There are quite a few bridges, and points where people along the edge of the canal would have a great advantage. I would be going from Park Slope to Gerritson Beach (Dead Horse Bay) so overland would be no fun either. Right now, I'm thinking a water route is still the best option.

As far as where I would go, Newburgh is first choice because I have friends there and a place to stay. Maybe Kingston if I want to get real far away from the city.

In a real bad situation, I would head for North Carolina. Lots of family there. Nice thing about a sailboat. Great gas mileage. Just limited by the amount of food and water I can carry.

#94064 - 05/08/07 07:52 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: DesertFox]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It sounds to me like you've got some good contingency plans already and yes, I agree that a boat would be the best option, for a number of reasons (like: instant motel room/home everywhere you go).

It also sounds to me like you've got to develope some options for getting to the boat. Good Luck.

#94065 - 05/08/07 08:05 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: DesertFox]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
This is probably a crazy idea, but could you camoflague a small boat/raft to just look like some garbage floating down the canal? Maybe use some fishing innertubes or something small like that?

Another idea, how about the sewer system?

-Blast

Edited by Blast (05/08/07 08:06 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#94067 - 05/08/07 08:08 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I personally don't believe the camouflage idea would work for the small boat in New York Harbor,,,,,but using the sewers to get to the small boat would be very plausible, IMO!!!!

Good idea, Blast.

#94068 - 05/08/07 08:19 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: Blast]
boomtown Offline

Loc: Indiana, USA
Originally Posted By: Blast
This is probably a crazy idea, but could you camoflague a small boat/raft to just look like some garbage floating down the canal? Maybe use some fishing innertubes or something small like that?

Another idea, how about the sewer system?

-Blast

Blast with his mind in the gutter

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 458 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.