Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#93908 - 05/07/07 04:42 PM Prepardness Rating Poll
gatormba Offline

Loc: Alabama
I was fortunate enough to have a very relaxing weekend which gave me time to consider things in my life from an objective standpoint which has led me to this question for the day.

On a scale of 1 - 10 how would you objectively rate your prepardness with 1 being the PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. who could barely survivor 7 days without power and a Wal-Mart, and 10 being your ability to survive is on par with the cockroaches.

What are your strengths and areas that need development in your plans?

#93910 - 05/07/07 05:08 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: gatormba]
Ponce Offline

Loc: In the woods of Oregon.
At this time I am a 8 but wont be a 10 till TSHTF and I get my VA Dr. and some other people into my home.....the reason that I am saying this is that there are a lot of druggies and drunks in my Micky Mouse town who are on welfare.

Have to finish putting up the fence 10 feet away from my home (with booby traps) and all the way around, at this time only the back and one side are up and without the booby traps, I do have an outer fence all the way around my propery.

At this time all of my 8 drive way alert are in place but only 3 of my 12 TV cameras and 2 of my seven monitors.

But besides the above I always like to say that "TO BE READY IS NOT"... Ponce

"To be ready is not"... Ponce

#93911 - 05/07/07 05:15 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: gatormba]
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Eh... 4 maybe. I'm good for about a month right now - more on food. Water is one of my main issues. I need to store more and I should get a filter. In the winter heat would be an issue. The biggest problem I can see, for me, would be the very real threat of violence in an extended situation - I live alone in an urban area and have limited Bug Out options with the exception of a few friends and family in a close suburb. I have one good neighbor, the rest are - well they are the problem. Even in good times they are of questionable moral fiber (bluntly - they're crackheads and thieves) - I don't want to think what they'd be like under bad conditions.

Bona Na Croin

#93919 - 05/07/07 05:38 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: gatormba]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I would put us at 7 assuming we aren't bugging out but drop it down to a 5 if we suddenly have to leave. We have good supplies or food/water with access to many cultivated and wild sources of both. First aid kits are stocked (and rotated often whistle), batteries are abundent as well as alternate power sources for items.

Our main problem is organizational. Things are spread out in different areas of the house (tools, camping gear, food, reference books, etc).

Our preps are mainly designed around the following dangers:
1. Hurricanes
2. Flooding
3. Power outages
4. Short-term civil unrest(riots 1-14 days)
5. Fuel supply issues

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#93921 - 05/07/07 05:57 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: Blast]
gatormba Offline

Loc: Alabama
Originally Posted By: Blast

Our main problem is organizational. Things are spread out in different areas of the house (tools, camping gear, food, reference books, etc).

-Blast

We have the same problem, which really isn't a problem until we are in a situation where we have to bug out in a hurry. One of my TO DO items this weekend is to make a checklist of what to grab and where it is currently at in case we had to leave in short notice. We have BOBs but there are other things I would like to supplement them with if I have to be gone from home for an extended period and they are in different places around the house.

#93923 - 05/07/07 06:23 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: Ponce]
MarshAviator Offline
Marsh Aviator
Journeyman

Loc: Baton Rouge, LA, USA
We think we are about an 8 overall.
Things pop up even with the best of plans, and the potential for violence can outstrip any plan. Many of my friends and relatives lived in NOLA during/after Katrina.
A few of them were prepared, but most were not.
All of them now express a change of attitudes and willingness to now talk about plans and survival/emergencies.

Even here in Baton Rouge (65 Miles from NOLA) we were impacted by the mass of people, for two days prior to land fall and months afterwards.
The real question is how much can you realistically expect from the "Tribe" (Family and Friends of like mind that you plan to work with).
Talk is cheap and when the SHTF will they really come through ?
Physical prep is easy, but while necessary it's not sufficient,
Even military SF/Ranger/Seal types work in teams.

Most of the semi and rural south is physically prepared (equipment,skills,experience,food & Water).
That being said, a gang of bad folks could bring a lot of trouble for a couple or two couples.

My guess (and Plan) is for at least a dozen people working as a team. Even if your personal skill level is a ten, by yourself unaided you are a 6.

#93926 - 05/07/07 06:39 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: gatormba]
boomtown Offline

Loc: Indiana, USA
I would have to say we (my wife and I) are about a 7. I probablly need to lay in more food and water. Luckily, neighbors aren't too big of a problem. My main concern would be tornados,civil unrest,and power outages. I do need to get a little more orginaized in the event of bug out.

#93931 - 05/07/07 07:08 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: MarshAviator]
ZenEngineer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Northern California
I rate my personal survival attitude as a 10, my skill level at about 7, my family stay-in-place level at a 7 for a seven day period and a 5 for short-term bug out.

The most likely scenario for our area is major earthquake, and we're well prepped for that.

#93935 - 05/07/07 07:41 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: ZenEngineer]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Gear and supply-wise, I am probably about a 7. What I am willing to do to get by would be a 9, what I can tolerate and still keep going would be about a 9, and my current location/situational capabilities are down to a 4 or 5. Not the best combination, but I am kinda stuck with it for the next couple years I suppose.

#93939 - 05/07/07 08:13 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: benjammin]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

Honestly, at this point I'm probably only a 2, or maybe a 3. I think I'm slightly ahead of the general populace, because I'm actually thinking about what I might need, and starting to prepare. But I only have a few gallons of water stored in my apartment, and the only food is what I have in the cupboard. I'm fairly dependant on grocery stores for my day to day food. I could weather out very small scale disasters for a few days, but by that point I'm probably in the same boat as everyone else.

I really want to increase my food stocks, and add a few more gallons to my water supply. I only know really basic first aid from when I was in the boyscouts, but I'm planning on taking a first aid course this summer. These are the two areas I'm working on improving right now.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.