The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#93948 - 05/07/07 09:32 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: gatormba]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I started to whip an answer out from the hip,,,,but this question begs some serious thought and evaluation from several Points of View (POV). After looking at several posts, I have put together the following, and yes, many will recognize some of their own comments and organizational postings in this:

Our preps are mainly designed around the following dangers:
1) Nuclear Incident
2) Hurricanes
3) Flooding
4) Power outages
5) Short-term civil unrest (riots 1-14 days)
6) Fuel supply issues
7) Medical maintenance issues

A 7/10ths (3 months) for staying at home (Bugging In):
1) We have good supplies and food/water with access to many sources of both.
2) First aid kits are stocked (and rotated often).
3) Batteries are abundent as well as alternate power sources for items.
4) We have adequate firepower and ammo stocks.
5) We have a “great” reference library.

A 5/10ths if we suddenly have to leave (Bugging Out) with operational vehicles.
1) This includes being able to make multiple trips to ferry our equipment out to the Bugging Out location.
2)

A 3/10ths if we suddenly have to leave(Bugging Out) without operational vehicles.
1) Two non-ambulatory persons.
2) 35 miles to push two wheelchairs (1 chair weighs 250LBS), plus what gear/supplies we can carry.
3)

As for myself individually, the most likely survival scenario involves a cross country hike to get from the work place to home. I'd give myself a 7 for the 10 day journey that such a trip would require.

A) Organization is NOT a problem. Reference books are already boxed by importance. Everything not boxed is of a Secondary and Tertiary importance.
B) Food and water supplies are all together in various sized containers for easy grab-N-go and large containers for staying put.
C) Weapons and Ammo, swords, and knives are all together for quick issuing as needed.
D) Multiple Contingency Plans and Checklists have all been written and are regularly updated.
E) Intel is constantly gathered and evaluated on current threats from both Mother Nature and Man (those pesky two-legged varmints).
F)

Concerns:
1) Heat during the Summer months.
2) This neighborhood is only defensible in a light sense.
3) Winter is not a major concern, Cold spells here last for 3-4 days at the most.
4) A gang of bad folks could bring a lot of trouble.

Non-concerns:
1) I am surrounded by good, intelligent neighbors who would cooperate with each other.
2) In Lousy-anna, Preparation awareness is much improved over the normal, pre-Katrina/Rita period. That doesn’t translate into everybody BEING PREPARED, but it does mean that people are making an effort to have some extra’s on hand by the time Hurricane Season arrives.
3) Bodies that will work together, aka: “My Tribe”. My personal belief/observations over a long time states that the “Tribe” that I am affiliated with will work together. There will be many opinions and that will keep us from straying from the priorities as long as we listen to those voices that have something to say.

SUMMARY

I rate my personal survival attitude as a 10, my skill level at about 7, my family stay-in-place level at a 7 for a three month period, a 5 for bug out w/transportation, and a 3 for Bugging Out without transportation.

The most likely scenario for our area is a major Hurricane, and we're well prepped for that. Both to bug out before arrival and to return after it’s departure from the area.

#93961 - 05/07/07 10:29 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: wildman800]
FRERAD1776 Offline

One thing missing from your list is earthquake.

The New Madrid fault would certainly impact the entire Mississippi river area.

#93964 - 05/07/07 10:58 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: FRERAD1776]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I'm far enough away from the New Madrid and other associated fault lines where that is not a realistic concern. The small fault lines in South Lousy-anna are a non-concern (largely) because the earth to water ratio is such that shocks are absorbed up to basically a 3.5 richter scale. They do occur but we don't feel them. We are far enough west of the major fault line known as the Mississippi River where that is not a realistic concern.

#93977 - 05/08/07 01:53 AM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: wildman800]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
I would have to say that I'm at an 8, my family is also at an 8 for a "bug-in" situation (3-4 months), if we have to "bug out" we are at a 6 (sorry to say)

#93979 - 05/08/07 02:07 AM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: wildman800]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: wildman800
I'm far enough away from the New Madrid and other associated fault lines where that is not a realistic concern. The small fault lines in South Lousy-anna are a non-concern (largely) because the earth to water ratio is such that shocks are absorbed up to basically a 3.5 richter scale. They do occur but we don't feel them. We are far enough west of the major fault line known as the Mississippi River where that is not a realistic concern.

Not to burst your bubble, but New Madrid had a quake in the 1800s that was felt in D.C. Fault lines tend to cause more damage when NOT on fault lines, since solid objects propogate the shock waves better (similar to sonar working in water, but not air). You might get an unpleasant suprise.

http://www.ceri.memphis.edu/aware/nmsz.html
http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/prepare/factsheets/NewMadrid/

Since most of the US east of the Rocky's doesn't build to earthquake code, even a modest shaker could devastate the area.

#94013 - 05/08/07 12:51 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: gatormba]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
7-8 once I reach the location I'm bugging out to, up to 14 days. (-3 on that if my mother's idiot sister, her husband, and their theifing spawn show up.) 6-7 if I can't bug out to that location, up to ten days. 6-7 while bugging on foot, up to four days, -1 on that if I have to loose my BOB and go to my ditch kit only and -1 after the second day of that (limited rations).

Now, for a wilderness scenario, like a hiking trip or hunting, it's different. They've got nothing but fear, panic and lack of understanding.

My weeknesses- my car. My vehicle is not as reliable as I would like, but I want to pay down my private source student loans ASAP (yeah, they start off great, 6%- the home office being in South Dakota should have warned me what I was in for!) so I keep putting off serious exploration of a replacement. Doesn't help I'm within walking distance of work unless I'm going to a customer.

ChemBio release. Not worried about it, honestly- I'm on fairly high ground. Same reason I don't worry about a flood. But while my folks are about 40' above the valley floor, the interstate runs about 60' above them and just up the ridge that forms the eastern side of the property. A tanker with something heavier than air and toxic is a major risk there.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#94017 - 05/08/07 01:14 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: ironraven]
desertrat1 Offline

Loc: Kingman AZ
About an 8 bugging in. Between my wife and I and my mother we have 6 months of supplies providing my useless mooching sisters in-law don't show up.

Bugging out 6-7 only because my mom's older and needs a little assistance. Once she gets her other knee replaced that will go up.

#94024 - 05/08/07 02:04 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll
Micah513 Offline

Loc: Springfield, MO
Originally Posted By: gatormba
Not to burst your bubble, but New Madrid had a quake in the 1800s that was felt in D.C.

Very true. It rang the church bells one thousand three hundred miles away in Boston. If that doesn't make you think twice nothing will. If it happened again today on that level Memphis & St. Louis will be flatened like pancakes - we would be talking about millions of Americans dead. I hope it doesn't go off in my lifetime!

#94025 - 05/08/07 02:06 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: ironraven]
gatormba Offline

Loc: Alabama
Originally Posted By: ironraven
...(-3 on that if my mother's idiot sister, her husband, and their theifing spawn show up.)

It's very interesting that you brought this issue up. It was actually one of the things that really got me thinking about this over the weekend. I was really starting to feel a little better about how we were getting better prepared until I thought about the family showing up.

I guess I never really thought about it, or maybe just didn't want to admit it, but certain members (not all) of our family on both my side and my wife's represent real threats to our ability to survive as we are planning. If/when they show up in a crisis they would seriously impact our supplies and capabilities. And honestly I don't have the money or desire to stock up for them too. Fortunately they do not know about our preps but that will not stop them from coming to our place so it will still be a problem.

#94027 - 05/08/07 02:47 PM Re: Prepardness Rating Poll [Re: Ponce]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Have to finish putting up the fence 10 feet away from my home (with booby traps) and all the way around, at this time only the back and one side are up and without the booby traps, I do have an outer fence all the way around my propery.

I don't know what your situation is but I'd be very leery of setting up any booby traps. I am aware of no place in the USA where they are legal, and I'd sure hate to have to live with myself after killing or maiming some poor kid who was just taking a shortcut across my property.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.