Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#93998 - 05/08/07 06:51 AM Re: Poison Ivy [Re: williamlatham]
LED Offline
Veteran

I read (in Backpacker Magazine I think) that Dawn dish liquid is great for washing affected clothing because it breaks down the oils in poison ivy. Anyone tried it?

#94002 - 05/08/07 09:17 AM Re: Poison Ivy [Re: LED]
gallihand Offline
Stranger

Loc: Northern NJ
Any soap should work fine on clothes. Soaps work by having one end bond to oils and the other bond to water molecules if I remember correctly and since urushiol oil (the thing in poison ivy/oak that makes us break out) is an oil they'll stick to it and remove it from the clothes, just like grease on a pan. Its also supposed to work on any areas you came into contact with the ivy/oak if you wash with it before it manages to bond with your skin. Most sources say half an hour but I've heard anywhere from seconds to hours. Can't necessarily vouch for it but I've never gotten a bad outbreak by washing immediately. Another interesting thing to note is that rubbing alcohol is said to work for a few hours after, the downside is that it completely strips your skin of protection from future exposure for a day or so (so don't touch those clothes) making any contact much worse.

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/ had pretty accurate information by from what I can remember. Hey its been a few months since I needed a cure.

#94281 - 05/10/07 02:10 PM Re: Poison Ivy [Re: gallihand]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
I was pounding through some poison ivy this past weekend. While I cannot say whether or not I had any urushiol on me (I was trying to be both careful and gentle near the plants) I did give my exposed skin a good rubdown with Tecnu and have not seen any indication of an outbreak. My son did the same with the same results. This was potentially contact plus 8 hours.

Bill

#94315 - 05/10/07 07:59 PM Re: Poison Ivy [Re: 91gdub]
olddude Offline
journeyman

Loc: Lower Fla. Keys
Here in the Fl. Keys we have a tree called Poisonwood with the same agent(Urushriol)as Poison Ivy. Being in the landscape trade for many years I had my share of run-ins with the stuff. By far the most successful treatment has been using a product called Zanfel. In the shower you squeeze a small amount on your hand and scrub the affected area for about 30 secs.Then rinse the area. There is a bit of pumice in the salvelike product. Zanfel binds with the urushriol oils and is rinsed away. I have always used it well after exposure when the blisters have begun. Itching stops instantly and the blisters heal nicely. Sometimes it will take a couple treatments but "Oh, what a relief it is".Zanfel is a bit pricey at $35.00 for a couple ounces but well worth it and has a shelf life of several years. Great stuff!!!

Scott

"Tryin' to reason with hurricane season"

#94318 - 05/10/07 08:08 PM Re: Poison Ivy [Re: Susan]
Hghvlocity Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma
When I get it...it's usually from just looking at the stuff. It never gets to the point of weeping...but just rashes up pretty bad and spread rapidly. All of those lotions, creams don't do squat for me. I've actually had to go through two cycles of predisone to clear it up.

#94391 - 05/11/07 03:24 PM Re: Poison Ivy [Re: nouseforaname]
asfried1 Offline

Originally Posted By: rumbaugh

mix aspirin and peroxide until you get a little pastey substance...apply, let dry and re-apply.

theoretically, the peroxide will help open the pores, allowing the salisylic acid (eats oil; see Clearsil) in the aspirin to eat the oil up...

I would be very reluctant nowadays to apply aspirin or any other salicylates topically to a child's skin. Reye's syndrome is a rare but devestating complication of aspirin use in children. I have personally had one 6 year old patient in my care who ended up requiring a liver transplant after having been rubbed with oil of wintergreen (a salicylate containing product) by his grandmother.

Adult use would be OK as far as I know (but I am just a simple country pediatrician and I wouldn't take just my word on that).

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 464 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.