Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#92412 - 04/25/07 05:40 PM CB Radio? Walkie Talkie? Difference?
Equipped4Chicago Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chicago
I am going on a 3 day trip. Our 'guide' is suggesting to us to purchase CBs. Not walkie talkies. I went to the stores and all I can find it walkie talkies.

He says to purchase a CB. I will also have to buy an antenna for the car he said.

I'm a little confused. Someone please clarify how CBs are better than walkie-talkies

#92417 - 04/25/07 06:04 PM Re: CB Radio? Walkie Talkie? Difference? [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
If the walkie talkie is on the CB band, the only differences are range, built in antenna, and power source. CB's allow you to talk to most if not all of the truckers on the highway. A CB walkie talkie is about the same size as the first cell phones. You are looking at about $50 plus antenna for the type he's suggesting. IIRC normal effective range for these is 1/2-5 miles. FCC licensing is issued with the radio at manufacture.

The FRS radios are on an entirely different system. These are the ones that come two to a pack. These are generally smaller (about the size of a modern cell phone). The advertised range for these is 10+ miles. They work on two frequencies/power ratings. Licensing for the lower power channels is the same as the CB. You are supposed to send in a licensing form to the FCC if you will be using the longer ranged channels.

If you are talking car to car to coordinate stops, etc. I'd ask him why you want a built in model.

Unless you plan on trips like this on a regular basis, you might see if he has a spare or make him explain why a CB. FRS radios will be more useful around the neighborhood or amusement park due to their reduced size.

#92419 - 04/25/07 06:07 PM Re: CB Radio? Walkie Talkie? Difference? [Re: UTAlumnus]
Equipped4Chicago Offline
Journeyman

We are suppose to be in a rural area. And we will have about 3 or 4 car groups trying to communicate with each otehr.

#92420 - 04/25/07 06:21 PM Re: CB Radio? Walkie Talkie? Difference? [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
IMHO, the variable here is the vehicle mounted antenna. A hand held, whether it's a walkie-talkie, CB or HAM radio is limited by the antenna (and power, but I don't see that as an issue here). By vehicle mounting the antenna, you have a huge ground plane which will add gain to the antenna. I don't know what kind of wattage walkies put out, but comparing a 4W (legal limit) hand held CB with a 4W vehicle mounted CB, you will get better coverage with the vehicle mounted one due to the antenna.

#92423 - 04/25/07 06:43 PM Re: CB Radio? Walkie Talkie? Difference? [Re: Malpaso]
Equipped4Chicago Offline
Journeyman

The Motorola Walkie-Talkies I saw have a range of up to 8 miles they say. But he said CB's will have a range up to 4 miles. So I'm little confused

#92427 - 04/25/07 07:03 PM Re: CB Radio? Walkie Talkie? Difference? [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
"Range" is not an exact science. Everything depends on line of sight. Theoretically, if you put the two side by side with identical power and identical antennas, on water or flat land, they would have the same range. That's the 8 mile potential the walkies have. The 4 miles he told you for the CB is more real life environment, with hills, buildings and the ever present atmospheric conditions.

#92469 - 04/25/07 10:19 PM Re: CB Radio? Walkie Talkie? Difference? [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
How many of you already have CB's? I'd get one of the "emergency" radios if everybody else already has one and this will be a regular event. These are similar to a walkie talkie in that you hold the whole radio in your hand but they have a vehicle type antenna & plug into the cigarette lighter.

If no one else has radios I'd get the FRS units due to size. They run less than $50 for two.

Edited by UTAlumnus (04/25/07 10:20 PM)

#92476 - 04/26/07 12:06 AM Re: CB Radio? Walkie Talkie? Difference? [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Your guide has dropped the ball.

Who does he want you to talk to?
What frequency are they on?
What are the radios for?
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#92478 - 04/26/07 12:32 AM Re: CB Radio? Walkie Talkie? Difference? [Re: UTAlumnus]
Huck Offline
Stranger

Unless you are going to take the time to have a CB tricked out by some one who knows how to set the antenna (requires a meter) to the CB in use, the range for most CB's are line of visual sight (usually less) at best. Todays CB are garbage and are nothing like what was made in the 1970 & 80's. My family have been truck drivers since the late 60's. The only CB's we use are those in the semi trucks and that are properly set up and have power boosters.

If your traveling in a group together, FRS radios are the way to go. Stick with Motorola brand. From my personal experience they work much better than any other brand. If you get seperated make a quick call on a cell phone to the other parties to get back together.
We use FRS radios to stay in touch all the time when hunting. Even when I bow hunt I take a radio with me and leave one home with my wife turned on in the kitchen. My furthest stand is just hitting 2 miles away from my house per GPS tracking. I have it with me "just in case". I also let her know when I am down and walking out so she knows Im on my way out of the woods.

In a nut shell, the CB off the shelf is no way any better than an FRS radio. I sold my last CB about 3 years ago and dont regret it a bit.

Huck

#92482 - 04/26/07 12:57 AM Re: CB Radio? Walkie Talkie? Difference? [Re: Huck]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
I would say the only reason to buy a CB is if everyone else already has one. That is what I have seen in the off-road community. Sure for trail communications, FRS would probably work just as well. But everyone else who wheel's their rig already has a CB, so that is what all of the new people buy. Kind of a never ending cycle at this point wink

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 223 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.