Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#93454 - 05/03/07 11:09 AM Re: Prep conflict [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Two points here

# 1 : Having several BOBs is expensive.
Not really.

Some people already have several multi-tools/SAKs and dont know what to do with all of these. You can give some away to your son/daughter, but I believe spreading them in cached kits is another good way to beat the odds. Same for used clothes, flashlights ..etc. Itemize the extra stuff you have, buy a few inexpensive items (like candles, dust masks..etc.) and make 2 or 3 more BOBs.

# 2 : Car BOB is always nearby.
Well, not always.

A few months ago, we had business visitors. I was asked by boss to go with some colleagues to a nearby hotel for seminars and meetings. I went with my colleagues in their car since the hotel was only 2 miles away. But when we arrived, we found out we got the wrong hotel name and the actual meeting/workshop was in another hotel 20 miles away. I had no choice but go with them

That day I was 20 miles away from my car BOB !!

Theoretically , your car BOB is always with you but you may be seperated from your car when it is least expected , and if Murphy is right, that is when you may need it.

Re: being paranoid. I dont think I am paranoid for having several BOBs, because I dont panic when it doesnt work. Rather I keep trying (and have lots of fun) filling the the holes in the prapredness plan. I look at it this way. Many members here keep buying knives , flashlights and other gadgets. Some of these end up in some drawers or sold. Instead of piling them in drawers or selling the extra ones, I use them (and other stuff that piles at home like birthday candles ..etc.) to make more BOBs, and then think of where I can pre-position them safely.

I have even made "disposable kits" using inexpensive knives, some plasticware, motel-size hygeine items ..etc. and put them in far away areas where I may or may not revisit on business/field trips.

I am a CACHE guy and it is great. I urge everyone to do the same. If you do fishing, hunting, or backpacking, try it around the area you frequently camp around.

Its fun, and it boosts the odds of your survival.

#93462 - 05/03/07 01:50 PM Re: Prep conflict [Re: Chisel]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Have you made a map on wich all of your BOB's and caches are listed and located?

This could help with the replacement of the perishable items in your cache, and of course finding your caches in a BO-situation.

#93464 - 05/03/07 02:18 PM Re: Prep conflict [Re: Chisel]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

How do you hide those disposable cahces so no one else gets them?

#93472 - 05/03/07 02:49 PM Re: Prep conflict [Re: Chisel]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I find the idea of stashing kits all over to be awkward. To call them all "BOB" is probably inaccurate. Which of these kits is really a Bug-Out-Bag? All of them, really? How do you intend to use all these kits? What is each specific kit for? This is a problem you'll need to work out for yourself.

My plan does not involve relying on anyone else to keep a kit for me. I keep a 96 hour kit in the truck and I EDC stuff to aid in getting to the truck. That's it. When I'm home the truck is home. When at work the truck is in the lot next to the building. I travel by truck so even when far from home I have the kit.

#93520 - 05/03/07 07:39 PM Re: Prep conflict [Re: Chisel]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
It sounds like these caches are very different from what most of us would consider BOB, which to most of us is a self contained system. What is in your caches? Maybe that will help us better understand what you are trying to explain.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#93540 - 05/03/07 09:59 PM Re: Prep conflict [Re: ironraven]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

So they are not BOBs. Actually, they are called CACHES. However, when a CACHE is mentioned somene thinks of digging and burying things. I dont bury them. I either store them with someone or put a pile of rocks on them ..etc. depending on the type and location.

They are not all the same. The one at dads house is a complete BOB just like any other BOB. You can call it "secondary BOB" if you wish. Just in case I arrive there with only a shirt on my back or even no shirt. OTOH there is also nalgene bottles or cofee cans (whatever) with stuff in them, hidden here and there. Call them Nalgene kits if you wish. In case I arrive on site and face prolonged emmergency and batteries in my EDC are consumed, well, I have backup.

So, I have primary EDC and BOB stuff with me.
These Caches are additional.

You can call them anything like (BOB refill kit) or (BOB backup) if you want. I call them (better than nothing)if I find myself in any situation where my car BOB isnt near me or that I have lost/damaged/consumed something and need replacement or addition.

As I said, I dont RELY on them as primary BOB. However, I can bet everyone in this forum will be glad to find a suppliment somewhere during an emergency and that is what those kits can do when you place them in places where you will most likely be.

Re: dispaosable kits, I assemble them to be cheap and disposable, even losing them shouldnt be a problem. A few first aid items, hygene , razor, scissos, cheap flashlight, PIC lighter, pair of used clean socks , you get the idea.

Having said that, I dont just toss one kit every 5 miles on the highway. I pick where I position them with care. There are sometimes areas and locations where we repeatedly visit for buisness/work reasons. I estimate that we may have 3 or 4 more future visits there, so I bring another disposable kit and hide it somewhere on site. I may retrive it in the last trip. If plans change and they choose another engineer or another guy to go next time, no big deal. I may even tell the colleague where it is in case he needed something or may ask him to retrieve it for me.

When you do contracting work for example, it is not a problem to ask the client for a locker or desk or something on temporary basis. In those places you can hide another kit (even though you have a complete BOB in your car). And when your contract ends, grab it on your way out. One day you will be glad you done that.

An emergency doesnt know we have agreeed on 72-hour or 96-hour standard for PSKs or BOBs. And may decide to outrun your batteries. A few other kits nearby will be a great way to beat the odds.

#93552 - 05/03/07 11:23 PM Re: Prep conflict [Re: Chisel]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If you say BOB but really mean cache then we can't respond in a meaningful way, the terms of reference are not valid. Using correct terminology is important in communication, especially on the internet. There's a huge difference between a BOB and a cache. Unfortunately, I've seen definitions of the "Bug-Out-Bag" term that go from a 24 hr contingency kit to something like the INCH (I'm Not Coming Home) bag.

I've dropped the BOB term in describing my kits. I have the big kit in my truck which could easily be an INCH kit with a resupply of food and water. It's really just a kit to keep me going in time of an extended natural or man-made disaster when I'm not home.

That said, having gear in caches is a good resupply tactic. I may cache some stuff at work as a just in case. It's very secure and would be a good location for evacuation.

#93584 - 05/04/07 02:35 AM Re: Prep conflict [Re: Chisel]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
AH HAH!! YOU AREN"T NUTS! grin

I was starting to suspect this is what you had in mind, but wasn't sure so I figured I'd ask. This makes a lot more sense.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#93639 - 05/04/07 03:35 PM Re: Prep conflict [Re: ironraven]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Sorry for the confusion I am not really that particular about details and not even updated on the terminology. What is INCH kit by the way ?

Yes indeed, these kits make lots of sense. Makes you feel more secure and comfortable. And I guess it can help you win some converts since these kits are very PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. friendly : few sharp edges, lots of URBAN and convenience stuff like motel-sized soap bars, or salt-pepper nini packets from fast food meals ..etc.

Assembling them doesnt have to be a chore. I have a basket to collect motel and fast food items to use for picnics or these kits. Add a few items of comfort and you are set. Add that old knife which you dont use anymore plus a flaslight and a few candles and trash bags, and you have a QBOB ( quasi-BOB ).

#93642 - 05/04/07 03:47 PM Re: Prep conflict [Re: Chisel]
gallihand Offline
Stranger

Loc: Northern NJ
INCH kit = I'm Not Coming Home kit

And I'd throw in an old book, gets them out of the way, maybe your friends will read them and you'll be grateful if you ever need them. Plus they make firestarting easier if need be, just remember not to start tearing from the last pages first.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 468 Guests and 68 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.