Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#90844 - 04/10/07 08:37 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: GarlyDog]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
Finally got water storage barrels in place.
One month - drinking water for six is now in place.

That sounds like a great idea. Just out of curiosity for my planning - how many gallons did you consider to be adequate storage?

#90891 - 04/11/07 05:56 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: BrianTexas]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
This week I've done nothing at all. And loved it!!

#90893 - 04/11/07 06:08 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: el_diabl0]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I dream of having a week like that and this week definitely never came close!!!

I threw a crawfish boil (party) for my wife's God-daughter's engagement. (stocked up on seasonings, propane, it worked partially as a shelter mobilization drill) It also served as "cold weather training" (sleet and rain).

Stocked up another 15 gals of gas ($2.61/gal), added some items to my dry goods stores (peas and dried beef)

#90931 - 04/12/07 09:14 AM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: BrianTexas]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
For drinking water, we planned for two gallons per individual per day for 30 days.

That works out for us to be six - 55 gallon drums and the remaining 5 gallons per individual is stored as cases of individual-sized water bottles. The bottled water is stored in our pantry and our vehicles.

We also have three rain gutter barrels, a large hot tub, and a 100 gallon water tank in our RV for other water needs.

We have a septic system, and we have an ice-fishing tent that serves as an temporary outhouse to minimize water use with flushing during a water emergency.

If water problems persist longer than 30 days and we can't leave, we also have a stream that flows through our property year round. We just purchased equipment from Katadyn for filtering water from this source.

#90936 - 04/12/07 03:11 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: GarlyDog]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
For drinking water, we planned for two gallons per individual per day for 30 days.

That works out for us to be six - 55 gallon drums and the remaining 5 gallons per individual is stored as cases of individual-sized water bottles. The bottled water is stored in our pantry and our vehicles.

We also have three rain gutter barrels, a large hot tub, and a 100 gallon water tank in our RV for other water needs.

We have a septic system, and we have an ice-fishing tent that serves as an temporary outhouse to minimize water use with flushing during a water emergency.

If water problems persist longer than 30 days and we can't leave, we also have a stream that flows through our property year round. We just purchased equipment from Katadyn for filtering water from this source.

Sounds like a great plan. I like your storage plan as well as the collection and treatment ideas. Since you are presently using a septic system, you might be interested in this document from the Texas Cooperative Extension website for disaster recovery http://texashelp.tamu.edu/001a-hot-topics/web-2005-sept/wastewater-systems-blackouts-floods.php

#90980 - 04/12/07 09:29 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: X-ray Dave]
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Dumped my 8.5 lb custom Ruger Mini-30 for a 4.7 lb Kel-Tec SU-16C. Bought a Bushmaster extractor and Bushmaster 30 round magazine for it. Bought a 21" 7-30 Waters barrel for my 5 lb T/C Contender carbine.

EeeeeHaaaa!

#91026 - 04/13/07 02:01 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: Craig_phx]
silent_weapon Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Added a REI candle lantern to my BOB, rotated 7 gal water containers, but most importantly...I used my headlamp (Petzl Myo XP) for working around the house at night. Decided that this headlamp is the best purchase I have EVER made. I don't post here very often but lurk and learn. Thanks for all the great info.

#91081 - 04/14/07 01:56 AM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: wildman800]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
I just contacted my local ARRL - ARES group to start the process to get assistance and guidance to begin my technical amateur radio license study.

Michael

Edited by buckeye (04/14/07 01:56 AM)

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#91113 - 04/14/07 03:46 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: buckeye]
Blacktop Offline

Loc: Cypress, TX
Scored an old, cheap 20lb propane cylinder at a garage sale and exchanged it for a new full one. Bought an extension hose so I can run my Coleman 2-burner stove off of it. Hurricane season is right around the corner.

#91116 - 04/14/07 04:22 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: Blacktop]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
Finally got the chance to go to the REI store near where I live. I could have gone broke in there pretty quickly. I did pick up a few things but mostly just a recon mission.
Went to Wally World (I can afford stuff there) and got a few waterproof match cases that I've needed for a while. Also picked up a few Coleman propane cannisters to add to the supply I already have.
Yesterday I did an inventory on my GHB and added the match cases that I bought. Now my firestarting supply has 1 match case of strike anywhere matches, 1 of waterproof matches, a bic lighter and a film cannister of dryer lint. Inside of the lids of the match cases I put a couple of pieces of the match striker from match boxes, made each piece small enough to stay in the top tightly.

Edited by 91gdub (04/14/07 04:24 PM)

Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.