Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#93367 - 05/02/07 06:58 PM Packable Jacket?
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
All,

I'm trying to find a jacket that I can pack that takes up as little space as possible. All I really need it for, is wind protection and if it has any water proof capabilities that would be a big plus. Insulation isn’t important due to the regions I live and visit, but I could be interested in something that can provide more warmth as a second jacket.

I was looking on www.golite.com, at their ‘ether wind jacket’ and also at their selection for waterproof jackets. But curious if any of you guys know of any others out there that are worth looking into.

The biggest thing that it has to do is pack up small as possible to be in a brief case, messenger bag or pack and look good enough that you won’t get stares in a city.

Thanks,
Kris

Edited by Kris (05/02/07 06:58 PM)

#93368 - 05/02/07 07:11 PM Re: Packable Jacket? [Re: Kris]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Kris,

You should take a look at the Montane Jetstream. The lightest most compact windproof jacket in the world. I keep one in my Snow Peak 300 Titanium Cup.

Edited by bentirran (05/02/07 07:13 PM)

#93375 - 05/02/07 07:49 PM Re: Packable Jacket? [Re: Kris]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
XCR Gore-Tex is the best choice for waterproof/windproof.

One point that you might want to consider:
If the SHTF and you wound up stranded on an island that has no fresh/clean water, your jacket might have to be used as
a)an improvised rain trap.
b) a liner for a hot rock boiler.

#93378 - 05/02/07 08:17 PM Re: Packable Jacket? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Kris Offline
Addict

Leigh_Ratcliffe,

As for the suggestions... This jacket is ment to supplement what I will be currently carrying. Thats not to say i'll bring it with me every time, but will be encluded in my pack (whether business or hiking) if I feel the need to carry it.

I have plans to have a poncho that will act as a shelter/tarp if need be. And this is included in my regular gear.

Besides, wearing a poncho in NYC when it rains is 'out of the norm' and you stand out to the sheeples (sp?).

Bentirran,

Good link!!!!

Thanks for your suggestions,
Kris

#93401 - 05/02/07 11:50 PM Re: Packable Jacket? [Re: Kris]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
If you are not looking for totally waterproof there are a lot of options. I like the Patagonia Houdini Jkt; highly water resistant and windproof. I use it for trail running, hiking and rock climbing when I don't need fully waterproof. In fact I rarely use waterproof-breathables very much these days since the water-resistant products breath better and may are ALMOST waterproof.

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/...CKETS#sku.24016

#93438 - 05/03/07 03:33 AM Re: Packable Jacket? [Re: billym]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I have a GoLite Reed jacket & pants, and they are awesome. I can roll them both up & stuff em in a buttpack, without sacrificing alot of space. I see they dont make the Reed jacket anymore though...I could be wrong on the model though. Its water/windproof. May not stand up to tons of abuse though, as most ultralight stuff wont. I've had mine for a while, and I've no complaints though!!!

#93442 - 05/03/07 04:10 AM Re: Packable Jacket? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
bmisf Offline

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
XCR Gore-Tex is the best choice for waterproof/windproof.

Many would say eVent is a better fabric than XCR - just as waterproof but much more breathable.

But for the uses stated here, I'm with the others: the GoLite, Patagonia, Montane, and similar waterproof-breathable jackets would be great.

I have a Patagonia Dragonfly anorak that packs down to the size of an apple and weighs only few ounces, and a Montane jacket made out of Pertex that is somewhat more waterproof. Both are excellent for wind and light precipitation (and much more comfortable than Goretex when I'm active).

I haul out the XCR or Paclite jackets for howling winter rain and snowstorms - otherwise the others are all I carry.

#93456 - 05/03/07 11:34 AM Re: Packable Jacket? [Re: ]
saniterra Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mebane, NC
I have a Travelsmith lightweight jacket made of microfiber that sheds water really well, dries very quickly and has a number of pockets and could pass for a sports coat. I haven't worn it in the woods, but the material, which feels good to the hand, could be suseptible to picking from branches, etc. It packs small, sheds wrinkles is washable and dry cleanable. It is an excellent country coat or travel coat, warn and windproof over a light wool sweater and cool enough in most summer weather over a regular shirt. It buttons up all the way around the neck but has no hood. You can see it here, reasonably priced. http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1597&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C251%2C466&iProductID=1597&sortBy=0

#93460 - 05/03/07 12:47 PM Re: Packable Jacket? [Re: saniterra]
Kris Offline
Addict

Thanks all for your help!!!!

#93478 - 05/03/07 04:13 PM Re: Packable Jacket? [Re: Kris]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
I like my Sierra Designs Microlight jacket. It comes with it's own stuff sack. Packs down to the size of a soda can, just a little thicker. It's extremely light and has a hood. It lives in my messenger bag that I carry to work and is always ready to get worn if the weather gets nasty. My daily commute is a 30-minute walk.

Sierra Designs Microlight jacket

It sells for 32$ MSRP. Although I love my 300$+ Gore-tex XCR Arc'teryx jacket for mountaineering, this Microlight gets the job done for my daily commute!

Highly recommended.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 375 Guests and 66 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.