Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#93455 - 05/03/07 11:20 AM Spyderco Delica plain edge or combo edge
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
I changed my mind on which Spyderco model to get. Instead of the Endura I'm considering the Delica because of a more versatile form factor for urban EDC applications.

Now I can't decide if the blade should be straight edge or half serrated (combo). One would think some serrations would help in slicing through fibrous material like ropes and especially seatbelt webbing more quickly but after reading the A. G. Russell Serrated vs. Plain article I'm asking myself if the serrations on the combo Delica would be really useful (my local store only stocks Delicas plain edge or combo edge). On a 2-inch blade, there is only about 1-inch of serrations so I wonder if it would be just a waste of cutting edge area.

Did anybody compared a Delica combo with a plain edge one and tested it on seatbelt webbing to see if there is any significant difference?

Thank you
Frankie

#93461 - 05/03/07 01:28 PM Re: Spyderco Delica plain edge or combo edge [Re: Frankie]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Assuming both are nice and sharp, a serrated edge cuts quicker, a plain edge cuts cleaner. IMHO a plain edge is more versatile.

#93466 - 05/03/07 02:25 PM Re: Spyderco Delica plain edge or combo edge [Re: Frank2135]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I think it is a bit of a tradeoff. While the serrated edge is a lot more aggressive on cutting fibrous materials, maintaining the edge on a composite blade is a bit more of a challenge.

One of the things I like about my Wave tool is that it has both a plain edge blade and a serrated blade. I reckon if I needed to rely more on a knife than I currently do, and only carried one blade with me, I would probably opt for a composite if I had to do a lot of textile cutting. If it is mostly opening boxes or carving up wood and such, then the plain edge would be more desirable.

One inch of the right kind of serration can do a lot of contiguous cutting. I find that the Cutco serrations really slice well, not at all like a sawing action, but more like when I am skinning game with a sharp plain edge and I am rolling the edge from base to point as I draw the slice. Kinda tough to describe.

#93544 - 05/03/07 10:32 PM Re: Spyderco Delica plain edge or combo edge [Re: benjammin]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Thanks for the replies.

#93559 - 05/04/07 12:19 AM Re: Spyderco Delica plain edge or combo edge [Re: Frankie]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I own both (or rather the 50/50 Delica and the plain-edge Salt 1 which is almost exactly the same form factor).

I prefer the plain edge because the blade just isn't long enough to make good use of the serrations. I would always snag the serrations when I didn't want them and when I did want them, it restricted the movement in the sawing action.

IMHO, go to the plain edge or full serrated.

I've carried the blade 2 ways. First, tip-up in the pocket and secondly horizontally, tucked into my web belt. Tucked into the belt is more secure and makes it easier to access the pocket but takes a bit more effort to put it back into place. Either way the knife is thin enough and short enough that you aren't even going to notice that it is there most of the time.

#93574 - 05/04/07 01:54 AM Re: Spyderco Delica plain edge or combo edge [Re: Roarmeister]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

That's what I'm thinking. I'll go with plaine edge. I've read you can do everything a serrated edge can do with a plain edge only maybe more slowly, but the serrated blade can't do everthing. Now I'm ready to run to the store and buy it without hesitation.

#93672 - 05/04/07 10:03 PM Re: Spyderco Delica plain edge or combo edge [Re: Frankie]
KevinB Offline
Journeyman

It looks like you're already decided, and I'll just reconfirm. I own fully serrated and plain Delicas. The plain edge is more versatile most of the time. The fully serrated blade cuts rope and webbing like a chainsaw, but doesn't work as well on many other things. And, as mentioned, you need a special sharpener (Spyderco Sharpmaker is one of the better ones all around). I own a couple of half-serrated blades, but I avoid them nowadays. As you say, neither the plain or serrated part is very long on a combo blade.

Kevin B.

#93691 - 05/05/07 02:45 AM Re: Spyderco Delica plain edge or combo edge [Re: KevinB]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

The Sharpmaker is on my shopping list, by the way. It should be a good product since Spyderco began by producing knife sharpeners (in 1978). I may get it eventually. I've read that you shouldn't wait until your knife is completely dull before sharpening it. Anyway this topic is for another thread to come later...

Frankie

#93702 - 05/05/07 04:54 AM Re: Spyderco Delica plain edge or combo edge [Re: Frankie]
KevinB Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Frankie
The Sharpmaker is on my shopping list, by the way. It should be a good product since Spyderco began by producing knife sharpeners (in 1978). I may get it eventually. I've read that you shouldn't wait until your knife is completely dull before sharpening it. Anyway this topic is for another thread to come later...

Frankie

I've used a ton of different sharpening systems over the last few decades and the Sharpmaker is my favorite. It'll sharpen anything with an edge. There are some really nice high-end systems that'll beat it for plain edges, but you'll pay an arm and a leg.

You're definitely right about sharpening before it gets dull. It saves a lot of work and over the long run makes the blade last longer. I'm a bit nutty about it. If my knife can't shave the hair on my arm it needs sharpening. The Sharpmaker comes with medium and fine stones. Usually a little touch up on the fine stones does the trick.

Have fun with the Delica. Great knife. Got one in my pocket right now.

Kevin B.

#93722 - 05/05/07 02:12 PM Re: Spyderco Delica plain edge or combo edge [Re: KevinB]
raiderrescuer Offline

fwiw, I prefer plain edges because they can be field sharpened better than the serrated.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 276 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.