The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#92771 - 04/28/07 12:21 AM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: ducktapeguy]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
I can guarantee that they will release under load. I've been hanging upside down in a pickup & it released with no problem. It hadn't been subjected to a lot of stress but was under load.

#92779 - 04/28/07 01:56 AM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: Eugene]
WoodsWalker Offline
Stranger

I shutter to think of living in an area where people have that kind of reaction to seeing a knife (much less a gun). I live in a area where carrying a knife is the rule rather than the exception, and ccw is readily accepted. I grew up in places where knives and guns are just another tool. It's hard for me to think of them as anything else.

#92789 - 04/28/07 03:01 AM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: WoodsWalker]
sodak Offline
Addict

Other than eBay, where is a good online store for the ResQMe? I've tried Ace Hardware to no avail. Thanks!

#92792 - 04/28/07 03:19 AM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: sodak]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: sodak
Other than eBay, where is a good online store for the ResQMe? I've tried Ace Hardware to no avail. Thanks!

Their website: http://www.resqme.com/ lists a bunch of online sources, there's a where to buy section, try: http://www.nov8safety.com/buy/resqme.htm

- Ron

#92830 - 04/28/07 04:44 PM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: Be_Prepared]
sotto Offline
Addict

Sorry, this may seem like a funny thing to write, but it's truly just for the sake of something to ponder, but not of course to interfere with the saving of a desparate person's life.

I had occasion to be sued one time because my neighbor's Doberman jumped over his front yard fence and bit the mailwoman who was putting my mail in my front door slot. Of course, I was extremely upset about being named in the suit (particularly since I picked up her dumped mail, bandaged her hand, and called her supervisor for her), however a lawyer friend of mine said that I had involved myself in the incident, therefore making myself potentially culpable for any fallout from the incident, including being named in the suit by the mailperson who I had helped. My lawyer friend told me I would have been perfectly within my rights to let her bleed all over my front doorstep and do nothing. I imagine the person (or persons) trying to aid a trapped motorist in a burning vehicle also might be similarly culpable if things didn't turn out so good.

Again, just a thought, not necessarily a reason to avoid helping a fellow human in a desparate situation.

#92838 - 04/28/07 07:14 PM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: thseng]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: thseng
Can anyone 'splain to me why seat belts seem to be so prone to jamming on impact?

If I were to design a seat belt buckle, I would make sure that it would still operate after being subject to a load equal to the breaking strength of the webbing, no?

This goes back to research do in the 1960's and 1970's by the Department of Transport (D.o.T.) in the UK. They were trying to establish why so many car accidents where fatal.
One of the things that came out of those tests was the very poor design of the seat belt's. The seat belt is intended to keep the driver/passenger in the seat, which under most circumstances is the safest place for them.
They discovered that the actual locking mechanism's failed under peak loads. That meant that the belt would effectivly break. With fatal consiquences.
They redesigned and tested various designs before settling on the current design. If the current lock fails, the parts in the lock itself fail in such fashion as to jam the lock closed. Thus preventing the occupant being throw from the seat.
Ofcourse the downside of that you very occasionally get a situation in which some one is then trapped in the seat.
It should be understood by anyone reading this that not using a seatbelt or using a design that does not jam closed WILL BE FATAL in a crash.

#92847 - 04/28/07 08:13 PM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Rather than leave it designed to fail & jam, why not design the parts to exceed the webbing strength like they should have in the first place?

#92858 - 04/28/07 11:33 PM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: UTAlumnus]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Shhhhhh!!!!!!!!

COMMON SENSE ALERT!!! COMMON SENSE ALERT !!!

WARNING!!! WARNING!!! WARNING!!! WARNING!!!

This is not a drill, you have been caught in the act of espousing forth with a common sense statement!!!

Cease and desist all such future actions and transgressions immediately or you'll be questioned by your local NATIONAL THOUGHT CONTROL POLICE DEPARTMENT (NTCPD)!!

This is the only warning that you will receive!!

#92871 - 04/29/07 01:47 AM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: UTAlumnus]
aardvark Offline

Loc: So. California
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Rather than leave it designed to fail & jam, why not design the parts to exceed the webbing strength like they should have in the first place?

Because it would cost more money. Remember, this is from an industry that went kicking and screaming when the belts were mandated in the first place and again when airbags were required.

#92876 - 04/29/07 02:04 AM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: sotto]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Last I looked, no state had a "Good Samaritan" law, so you definitely could have left here there to bleed. But you apparently have a concience. Good for you.

Generally, if you do help, you aren't liable unless you make the person's situation worse (Jump, I'll catch you). However, not being liable isn't the same as not being sued. Hope your homeowners insurance picked up the legal fees.

Remember, it's 98% of lawyers that give the rest of us a bad name.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.