The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#92554 - 04/26/07 02:35 PM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: AROTC]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I can't be bothered with a life hammer in my truck - let's see, 2 knives on me, one in the center console, an auto center punch in there too, FAK behind seat - another knife in there, plus a real hammer, flares etc, plus what's undet the cap in the bed....

What the heck am I going to do with a lifehammer?
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#92557 - 04/26/07 03:06 PM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Yes, as the other poster said, thanks for the reminder. I still don't everyday carry a knife after many years of hanging around in this forum. It's not that I have hoplophobia, far from it. But I procrastinate all the time. I'm thinking of getting a simple one-handed opening folding knife such as Doug's Benchmade knives. A knife that is slim and that I can easily conceal and clip it inside my pants securely, or something like that. I gave up the idea of carrying a bulky multitool.

Frankie

#92561 - 04/26/07 03:29 PM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Folks like that are what we used to call job security, for a lot of different "civil servants," up to and including the coroner.

In my experience things like that (seat belt locking) are actually pretty uncommon, but I used my Spyderco Rescue to cut more than one belt to get unconscious people out of vehicles...

#92564 - 04/26/07 03:39 PM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Evan Offline
Engineer

Loc: IL
I always have at least one knife on my person (usually a multitool and a seperate knife), but I recently had added those little "Resqme" keychain gizmo's to each memeber of my families cars. I attached the tool to the top pivot of the seatbelt with a heavy plastic cable tie on the driver's left side so it's always accessible. This way there is a seat belt cutter and window punch right there. Just pull on it and the mounting bracket stays attached and the tool comes away in your hand....When I put them in (especially in my kids cars) everybody thought I was nut's. This kind of thing goes to show that even a little gadget like this could be a lifesaver.

Evan

#92567 - 04/26/07 03:47 PM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: Evan]
stealthedc Offline

Loc: Durham NC
And it doesn't have to cost a thing to put SOMETHING in your car. I had a couple retractable box cutters and a couple of hard eyeglasses cases around the house when I put my two vehicle kits together. The case is labeled large and on both sides "seatbelt cutter".

I second the thoughts about people overreacting to knives. My EDC knife is a basic LM with a blade launcher. I love it because it is super fast opening and not even spring loaded, but lots of people think it is some sort of switchblade, haha.

I use my knife and box cutter at work so many times a day that If I ever have to go anywhere where knives are not allowd (ER enterance, court, etc) that I get ansy (sp?). And to think that they have a million make shift weapons and of the biohazzard type easily scrounged is just a shame. Sometimes when I go to a mall or someplace that has "no weapons" signs, I feel I am going to be asked to leave or something. Pathetic but if the choice came to it, I would just shop somewhere else.

#92584 - 04/26/07 05:19 PM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: Eugene]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I had that effect one time. I handed them the box and told him "ok, you open it", and spent a few minutes explaining the safety and utility value of my kerabit to his much cuter female (and married, dangit) officemate.

I was nice, I gave him a band aid from my bag of tricks after stabbing himself in the hand with a pen trying.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#92586 - 04/26/07 05:22 PM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: KG2V]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
I can't be bothered with a life hammer in my truck - let's see, 2 knives on me, one in the center console, an auto center punch in there too, FAK behind seat - another knife in there, plus a real hammer, flares etc, plus what's undet the cap in the bed....

What the heck am I going to do with a lifehammer?

Thats fine over your side of the Atlantic, this side knives are eeeeevil, people who carry knives are eeeevil and God forbid having one in your car if you stopped by the Plod.
I conside myself EEEEEVVVILLLL

Edited by Johno (04/26/07 05:23 PM)

#92587 - 04/26/07 05:24 PM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
So much for the myth that Americans are heavily armed monsters.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#92590 - 04/26/07 05:31 PM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: stealthedc]
stevez Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado
My reaction to "No Weapons" signs is that the knife I carry is not a weapon, it's a tool. Therefore, the signs don't apply.

Yes, I know that it's an argueable point in that a knife CAN be used as a weapon, but then again, so can a shoe. Most places of business require that shoes be worn and have signs at their entrances stating so. What are we to do when confronted with both of these contradictory signs?

Well, it seems that logic (skewed or otherwise) can also be used as a weapon. Let's see them try to ban logic. Oh wait, they already have in some places.

OK, enough of this, I need more coffee.

#92591 - 04/26/07 05:43 PM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Woodsloafer Offline

Loc: Upstate NewYork
The Res-Q-Me is a small keychain size tool that combines a protected cutting blade and a spring loaded punch.
The blade is designed to safely cut seat belt webbing and the punch will break tempered side window glass. They work because the one I carry on my turnout coat has been used a number of times in training and actual MVAs. Res-Q-Me is readily available for under $10.00.
Another alternative is the protected blade cutter often used as a letter opener. Very cheap, I have even seen the as promotional freebees.
The one problem with the rescue hammer is the inability to swing them by a confined or injured survivor. No matter which you choose, keep it easily available. This is no time to rummage around in the glove box.
While I always carry a blade (or two), I've never seen an MVA where a combination of EMT shears and a shielded blade tool necessitated using a knife. Use a knife if that's all you have, but there is potential danger from a struggling entrapped victum.
And NO Jim, we don't need another government regulation, although the EU approch is to control everything. (" Everything is either required or prohibited.")

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 423 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.