The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#93140 - 05/01/07 01:13 PM Re: Camping and hiking [Re: aloha]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Perhaps some "Verbal Jujitsu" would be in order?
http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/verbaljujitsugoshin.htm

I had noticed that LEO's tend to have a certain mannerism when conversing in an offical capacity but had never quite realized why before...

Perhaps OBG can give us some insight?

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#93144 - 05/01/07 02:02 PM Re: Camping and hiking [Re: thseng]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Something I have stuggled with for most of my life is the unacceptable situation created by the imposition of non-conformists in a majority conformist public environment, and the often ineffective and escalatory effort of law enforcement or security at dealing with the non-conformist.

Campgrounds and parks are perfect examples of this. Most of the people that frequent these places are respectable, considerate, and often family oriented. Sometimes the youngsters can be a little bit intrusive, but so long as it is not overtly so, other occupants will generally accept this.

Then you get the vagrants, the bums, the wierdos, the vandals, the theives, the punks, the gang bangers, and the psycho-nutsos, who intend to impose their bad behavior on the other occupants of such facilities. They ignore rules, laws, and are inconsiderate to say the least. When confronted by the other occupants, they either ignore the requests, or issue inappropriate and threatening challenges. In fact, oftentimes those who would confront them become the target of their aberrant behavior.

Then the authorities are contacted and all they do is come in, tell the pests to quit annoying the other occupants, and usually leave after a bit of blatant observation. So the pests will quiet down for a little while, then once the authorities have left start up their antics again, or even escalate it to the point of genuine harrassment. Seldom have I actually seen these pests get run off never to return. Then usually a conflict arises and someone's outing gets ruined. Then the cops show up after the fact and begin their process of effectively dealing with the pests, after the damage is done. I experienced this type of situation directly and indirectly repeatedly over my lifetime, and it is just as unacceptable now as it was when I was a kid, even moreso now since I am the silverback.

Life doesn't have to imitate Pleasantville, but it would be nice if the treasures which we are constantly being asked to preserve and perpetuate for our descendants were proactively managed so that we can also enjoy them in the present tense.

In every hunter ed class I taught, I got to present the part on hunter ethics, a role I inherited from the Chief Instructor. Usually that is one of the hardest talks to give and keep the students captivated about. You really have to teach it passionately and keep them involved. One point we drive home with large blunt force is the necessity of respecting others when sharing public areas. Being such a big, imposing presence, I learned to deliver that particular part of the lesson with such effect that there's no doubt a lasting impression was put on these minds. It is the only time when I actually raise my voice, gesticulate authoritatively, and add a hint of anger to my tone. It is not a very comfortable thing for me to do, but all of the instructors felt it a necessary and vital part of the delivery of the message. The way we see it, if the message gets pounded in far enough, it will seep over into influencing more of the behavior in public. The more positive influence we can have, the better.

#93249 - 05/02/07 02:55 AM Re: Camping and hiking [Re: benjammin]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I have been to hunter education class. But I think those who are inconsiderate have never even thought about attending one.

Fortunately, no escalation beyond "letting him know that we know he is there and are watching too" was necessary. I think he was really uncomfortable when he was followed to his van and his license plate number was taken down along with the make and model. That got forwarded to security in the park.

#93277 - 05/02/07 04:47 AM Re: Camping and hiking [Re: aloha]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Shame on you OBG..."

A simple question, shame on you for thinking bad of me. She is a cutie tho...

#93294 - 05/02/07 07:24 AM Re: Camping and hiking [Re: aloha]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Thanks for briefing everyone on another one of those hazards that are out there. The two legged varmints are the most dangerous!!

#93296 - 05/02/07 07:26 AM Re: Camping and hiking [Re: OldBaldGuy]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...Shame on you OBG..."

A simple question, shame on you for thinking bad of me. She is a cutie tho...

grin blush

#93298 - 05/02/07 07:35 AM Re: Camping and hiking [Re: aloha]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

By the way, OBG, ALL the moms are cuties!

As are our ETS ladies.

Hey! A fund raising idea for Doug...Ladies of ETS calendar. And we have guys that are easy on the ladies' eyes, I am sure. So they can get fair and equal time. Guys of ETS calendar too. Or would you guys prefer ETS Stud Muffins 2008? Doug and the mods can fight over who gets the cover. Maybe the fight can be pay per view to raise even more funds. Well, it could...

No offense guys, but I would only buy the ladies' one. Especially the special zombie hunter edition!

#93326 - 05/02/07 02:37 PM Re: Camping and hiking [Re: aloha]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Great idea, I might even volunteer to be the photographers assistant for the Ladies version!!!

#93328 - 05/02/07 02:42 PM Re: Camping and hiking [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

You know, encouraging Blast like this will only make him more obnoxious...

Ladies, yeah maybe. Fellas, lot on your knife!!!

#93329 - 05/02/07 02:42 PM Re: Camping and hiking [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

You know, encouraging Blast like this will only make him more obnoxious...

Ladies, yeah maybe. Fellas, lot on your knife!!!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.