The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#92962 - 04/30/07 03:32 AM decent affordable EDC folding knife
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Hi all, following Chris' post "Nobody had a knife", it really made me think of everyday carrying a one-handed opening locking knife but I don't want to break the bank. The fact is, I need a knife. I went to the local Le Baron and I played with the Spyderco knives and I'm really impressed with the lightness of them. I really want something I will be easily carrying and that is useful for general purpose in urban environment (like cutting seatbelts). That would be my first serious everyday carry knife.

I'm leaning toward the Spyderco Endura 4, plaine edge (should it be plaine edge?) which is 59.94$ CAN right now, probably the lowest price I can get in Canada. What do you think of this choice?

Thank you
Frankie

#92976 - 04/30/07 06:13 AM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
CRKT M-16 EDC Zytel

I don't know what the exchange rate and shipping would be but I can definitely recommend one of these. Search the forums within the last 30 days. I posted a description and link about their locking mechanism. It locks up solid and can not be unlocked without a two step process that can easily be done quickly with one hand. With practice it is almost as fast as only a liner lock. They're well built and should handle anything you would use a fixed blade for short of batoning wood for kindling.

The only interest I have in the company is I like a good knife that's sharp straight out of the box.

Edited by UTAlumnus (04/30/07 06:14 AM)

#92981 - 04/30/07 06:44 AM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: UTAlumnus]
aardvark Offline

Loc: So. California
If you are at all concerned that people will see it as a weapon and not a tool, then something less 'tactical' looking may be a better choice in today's post 9-11, post VT environment. I used to have a serrated spyderco, but traded up to a ritter grip. This was primarily because the serrated blade looked too scary and pointy, and i was less likely to carry it if i thought people (PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER.) would think i was some scary dude. Also, the ritter grip has better steel. This was still too big, so now i have a small fallkniven u-2 pen knife in the pocket, and the ritter grip goes in the 'kit' bag. I think the u-2 was like $50 and it's small but very sharp, perfect for apples, cutting open packages. Another good choice for urban carry is the locking swiss army knife, the trekker i think. Don't think they're much over $40, has lots of other tool blades and no one thinks of a SAK as a weapon.

#92984 - 04/30/07 07:27 AM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
CentralOklahoma Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
http://www.coldsteel.com/folding-knives-voyager-series.html

I carry the Cold Steel Voyager, 4" clip point. Sharp, Durable, light. I bought it retail for $35.- US

#92999 - 04/30/07 02:23 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: CentralOklahoma]
ssbauer Offline

Loc: Ohio
I like the Spyderco Byrd line; priced right and durable.

#93002 - 04/30/07 02:31 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: ssbauer]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
In an urban environment, and especially heeding aardvark's concern, I would first suggest you get something akin to a Leatherman Wave. I am a firm believer in multi-tasking, and there is little a dedicated tactical locking folder such as the spyderco or CRKT can do that can't be accomplished using the Wave. The two cutting blades can be opened one handed easy enough, while not drawing too much attention your way should you have to deploy it in public, thus making yourself a suspect. The other functions you will come to find are a real convenience. It does weigh a bit more, but is not encumbering, and is well worth whatever burden. Now that I am back in the states, I will EDC mine every day, and that means on the train, the subway, the walk past Wall Street and the office here in Manhattan. If I can do it without complaining or getting hassled, anyone can.

#93022 - 04/30/07 05:34 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
stealthedc Offline

Loc: Durham NC
I EDC This Leatherman c301 . It opens very fast but has no springs to break down like other assisted opening knives. This knife is available straight edge or combo, I have the combo, and had no choice since it came with the LM Blast, and I thought I would prefer the straight edge better, and still probably do, but now I like the serrated feature. Great for sawing through things quickly.

The knife alone is probably $30. Walmart and Target usually have it.

#93025 - 04/30/07 05:48 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: stealthedc]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder how it would open with gloves on. I live in a northern region so this is a factor I want to keep in mind. Is it better a hole for opening with gloves or mitts on?

#93026 - 04/30/07 05:54 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: UTAlumnus]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Le Baron happens to have this one (http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp07/outdoor/columbia_river.pdf). I like the idea of being able to find it locally so that should I loose it, I can replace it quickly. Le Baron store is just in front of my grocery store. I will take a look at this knife closer.

#93029 - 04/30/07 06:03 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: ssbauer]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Le Baron has the Byrd Raven among others. I will take a look at this one. You can't beat the price ($23.36 CAN).

#93032 - 04/30/07 06:14 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: benjammin]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

I acknowledge that the multitools have their merits and in fact the Leatherman Wave is on my wish list. But I know I won't be really EDC it, like when simply going to the convenience store or going out in a night club that would be silly. I want something ultralight and slim that I can grab in a hurry and that I can conceal easily but still have a substantial blade (not a keychain miniature). So far the Spydercos seem to fulfil these requirements.

Thanks for the reply.

Frankie

#93036 - 04/30/07 06:40 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

I love my Leatherman Wave and it's an extremely versatile tool but for some reason I never got used to carrying it on a daily basis. It's not the size, as a matter of fact it's small enough to fit in a pocket pretty nicely. For the past 7 or 8 years my EDC folder has been a large SAK with a locking blade. The Wave has many more functions than the SAK but the two knife blades simply aren't that good and it's usually the knife that I end up using for most utility tasks. If you need a compact, sturdy EDC folder something like a Spyderco might be a good choice.

#93037 - 04/30/07 07:04 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Tom_L]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Spyderco:

I have two Spydercos (or is it three?) and like them very much. One is 15 years old and going strong. They are very thin in the pocket and yet a lot stronger than they look.

The Spydercos are very easy to open with gloved hands. I prefer these to the thumb stud type openers.

Keep in mind that you need to be very discreet about whipping out a locking blade in an urban environment. Most people will see it as a weapon rather than a tool. And if you display it in a club, I guarantee you will be rapidly bounced out the door and may have some explaining to do to the local constabulary.

I have a SWAK Classic on my keychain for minor everyday tasks while in public. Nobody is worried about a Classic.

Leatherman Wave:

I think the Wave II is one of the best Leatherman products ever. It's a huge improvement over the original, in strength and overall functionality. It's often my primary everday carry on the road, using the very excellent removeable clip which allows me to carry the bulk of the tool inside my waistband. This is much more discreet than a sheath, and I've never seen anyone bothered by it. My cell phone clips over the belt in approx the same spot, which helps too. "What's that?" "Folding pliers." "Oh. Neat. Can I borrow them?"

#93041 - 04/30/07 07:29 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
zedd Offline
stranger

coldsteel has a great line of 3 4 5 6 inch folders ihave been using them for over 25 yrs

#93042 - 04/30/07 07:30 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: zedd]
zedd Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: zedd
coldsteel has a great line of 3 4 5 6 inch folders ihave been using them for over 25 yrs

#93043 - 04/30/07 07:34 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: zedd]
zedd Offline
stranger

I have been using coldsteel knives for over 25 years. They make a great line of 3,4,5,& 6 in folding knives. Can't say enough about them. I love them.

#93044 - 04/30/07 07:34 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: zedd]
zedd Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: zedd

#93045 - 04/30/07 08:01 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
No worries, it is, after all, a question of context. In normal EDC, the wave is not too encumbering, and the wave II is a good alternative. I don't always have it with me for every occasion either.

The spydercos and CRKTs are good knives, and there are plenty more in that gendre as well. For those occasions as you mention where convenience and limited use are most desirable, I think the spyderco will do just fine.

I like the multi taskers only because I never know what to expect when I venture out the door, and I am too much the gadget man I suppose.

#93077 - 05/01/07 12:09 AM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: benjammin]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
My advice is to invest $20 for a Kabar Dozier Spearpoint:

https://www.kabar.com/product_detail.jsp?productNumber=4066

which is a fine knife for the price, and then start saving your pennies for one of Doug's wonderful Rittergrips.

#93112 - 05/01/07 05:06 AM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: KenK]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

Recently I have been carrying a leatherman c300 in my pocket, and leave my leatherman wave in my bag or at home. I like the c300 alot, but it doesn't really have a good lanyard hole on it. When I buy a new knife, I'll probably go with the leatherman e300, which is pretty much the same knife but with a retractable carabiner.

I like to carry an inexpensive knife like this for everyday tasks. I think I paid $25 for the c300 with shipping.

#93150 - 05/01/07 02:57 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
I EDC the Spyderco Salt II, which is based on the Endura. It's about $10 US more because of the H-1 steel, which is billed as being toally rust free. It's light but sturdy, the big thumbhole makes it easy to open, and the modified sheepsfoot blade makes it look less "aggressive". It's a very functional blade shape, though - ask any blue water sailor.

I also have a Spyderco Ladybug on my keyring, so I guess that's my second EDC.

#93151 - 05/01/07 02:59 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frank2135]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Oops - the Salt II is based on the Delica, not the Endura, sorry.

#93196 - 05/01/07 08:49 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frank2135]
stealthedc Offline

Loc: Durham NC
the Leatherman blade launcher function would probably not work that great with gloves on unless they were tight fitting gloves.

#93550 - 05/03/07 11:06 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: stealthedc]
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
If you could live with a leatherman knife (not a multi-tool), here is a link to an AWESOME deal.

http://gearaddiction.org/viewtopic.php?id=54

I picked up an h503 + pair of decent binoculars for about $35 shipped.

#93582 - 05/04/07 02:29 AM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
Anonymous
Unregistered

A bit of a bargain for a reasonable folder can be had here

It has a 440 Stainless Solingen German made Blade. It opens and closes really smoothly and has a very positive locking actions and is very well made.
It could be ideal for what you want it for. The partial serrated edge can be sharpened with standard sharpening tools.

Oh and it has a real carbon fibre inlay in the handle not fake.

Edited by bentirran (05/04/07 02:32 AM)

#93595 - 05/04/07 04:29 AM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
KevinB Offline
Journeyman

Spyderco makes great knives. I own several. The Endura is a good one. You might also want to look at the Delica and the Native. Though I own both the serrated and plain versions of many, I find the plain edge more versatile. All really, really good, and not too expensive. Great bang/buck.

For everyday multipurpose use in the urban environment it's awfully hard to beat the old Swiss Army Knife. I own a ton of these, and always carry at least two in addition to my locking folder.

OK. Maybe that's overkill, but I always have a teeny weeny one on my keychain (Classic SD or Rambler), plus a medium sized (84 or 91mm) one, like a Small Tinker, Recruit, Alox Bantam, Cadet, Soldier, etc. Don't poo poo them. I keep mine sharp enough to shave with. They'll make short work of seat belts. Plus they have screwdrivers, tweezers, toothpicks, scissors, and the all-important bottle opener. And they're less scary to the PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER.. They're also very small, light, dirt cheap and last forever. For many, many years all I carried knife-wise was a Small Tinker, and it never let me down.

Kevin B.

#93615 - 05/04/07 12:15 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: KevinB]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

I have a SAK Explorer model with a nylon sheat but I find I already tend to leave it at home. It has the magnifying glass, useful for reading small prints but forget making fire with that. Anyway later on I discovered fresnel lens. On my keychain I have Sliver Gripper tweezers, a teeny-weeny pair of folding scissors (not the Slip-N-Snip ones) that I got from the Canadian version of the Adventure Medical Pocket Medic, a Photon II red LED light and a mini Fox40 whistle hanged on a Lucky Line Secure-A-Key clip-on. It's starting to weigh a little bit but I wear sturdy leather belts. Sometimes I remove the obnoxious blaze orange whistle but before I got the Secure-A-Key clip-on, it once helped me find my lost keychain.

I will probably go with the Spyderco Delica plain edge that I will clip inside my waistband like on Doug's picture.

Frankie

#93636 - 05/04/07 03:23 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
pworks36 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Florida
This one has been running a bit, but still active so I'll chime in too. Unfortunately I am limited by a blade of no more than 2.5 inches to avoid it being considered a 'dangerous weapon' at work (I switch to more realistic knife at home). I've been carrying the Boker Sub Com folder for about eight months now. To me this is not an ultimate design, but it has proven comfortable to use, sturdy and effective, which is all I can really ask. The liner-lock, though not my favorite system, has provided reliable and solid lock-up every time. Since it retails in the mid-30's, can't be construed as a weapon (so I can drop it in the change dish at the metal detector [not at the airport] and get it back again), fills my hand well despite its small size, and allows me to go with something sturdier than many small bladed knives, it fits my need. Maybe not yours, but I hadn't seen this one mentioned and it works well for me.

#93683 - 05/04/07 11:31 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
LED Offline
Veteran

I've been using a Kershaw Ken Onion every day for about 3 years now and its held up surprisingly well. The assisted opening feature is a real plus. (and you can easily light strike anywhere matches on the handle) Of course the plain edge Spyderco Delica is always a good choice too.

#93877 - 05/07/07 08:40 AM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
Rick Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Baltmore MD
I have tons of knives, for the money I've spent this one is one of my favorit. It's easy to sharppen and feels good it your hand. I think you'd be happy with it.
http://www.countycomm.com/swiss.htm

#93878 - 05/07/07 09:14 AM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Rick]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Thanks for the suggestion Rick. I looks like a good choice but my idea is a slim and light knife that I can slip inside waistband and almost forget it's there. Besides, countycomm.com will not ship outside continental US and I prefer for this kind of item to buy it locally. I once bought a $10 Frosts of Sweden Mora knife from USA and I ended up paying $40 (I'm from Canada).

Frankie

#93879 - 05/07/07 10:57 AM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
The Spyderco Native plain edge from WalMart is a steal at <$40 with a CPM-S30V blade. I don't believe they ship to Canada but at that price is might be financial feasible to have a friend in the states pick it up and forward it to you.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5244171

#93881 - 05/07/07 11:43 AM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: 7point82]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Yes, it is a possibility, 7point82. I do have relative living in the USA and I already asked them to order paracord from Countycomm. I already checked out our local Wal-Mart and they don't seem to have any Spyderco knives unfortunately. I will think it over.

Frankie

#93883 - 05/07/07 11:47 AM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: 7point82]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Actually it would not be much more expensive if I buy them from Le Baron here and I want to encourage this store for selling good products...

Frankie

#95037 - 05/19/07 01:42 AM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

I finally got my Delica plain edge. I like it a lot. It's so lightweight and it's fun to open and close one handed. I did it maybe a hundred times, so much that my thumb is red by dint of pressing on the tab of the lockback. I carried it easily without feeling it inside my waistband like Doug's picture, diagonally on the front like a samurai carrying his tanto. That will definitely be my urban EDC folder.

Frankie

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.