Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#93150 - 05/01/07 02:57 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
I EDC the Spyderco Salt II, which is based on the Endura. It's about $10 US more because of the H-1 steel, which is billed as being toally rust free. It's light but sturdy, the big thumbhole makes it easy to open, and the modified sheepsfoot blade makes it look less "aggressive". It's a very functional blade shape, though - ask any blue water sailor.

I also have a Spyderco Ladybug on my keyring, so I guess that's my second EDC.

#93151 - 05/01/07 02:59 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frank2135]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Oops - the Salt II is based on the Delica, not the Endura, sorry.

#93196 - 05/01/07 08:49 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frank2135]
stealthedc Offline

Loc: Durham NC
the Leatherman blade launcher function would probably not work that great with gloves on unless they were tight fitting gloves.

#93550 - 05/03/07 11:06 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: stealthedc]
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
If you could live with a leatherman knife (not a multi-tool), here is a link to an AWESOME deal.

http://gearaddiction.org/viewtopic.php?id=54

I picked up an h503 + pair of decent binoculars for about $35 shipped.

#93582 - 05/04/07 02:29 AM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
Anonymous
Unregistered

A bit of a bargain for a reasonable folder can be had here

It has a 440 Stainless Solingen German made Blade. It opens and closes really smoothly and has a very positive locking actions and is very well made.
It could be ideal for what you want it for. The partial serrated edge can be sharpened with standard sharpening tools.

Oh and it has a real carbon fibre inlay in the handle not fake.

Edited by bentirran (05/04/07 02:32 AM)

#93595 - 05/04/07 04:29 AM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
KevinB Offline
Journeyman

Spyderco makes great knives. I own several. The Endura is a good one. You might also want to look at the Delica and the Native. Though I own both the serrated and plain versions of many, I find the plain edge more versatile. All really, really good, and not too expensive. Great bang/buck.

For everyday multipurpose use in the urban environment it's awfully hard to beat the old Swiss Army Knife. I own a ton of these, and always carry at least two in addition to my locking folder.

OK. Maybe that's overkill, but I always have a teeny weeny one on my keychain (Classic SD or Rambler), plus a medium sized (84 or 91mm) one, like a Small Tinker, Recruit, Alox Bantam, Cadet, Soldier, etc. Don't poo poo them. I keep mine sharp enough to shave with. They'll make short work of seat belts. Plus they have screwdrivers, tweezers, toothpicks, scissors, and the all-important bottle opener. And they're less scary to the PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER.. They're also very small, light, dirt cheap and last forever. For many, many years all I carried knife-wise was a Small Tinker, and it never let me down.

Kevin B.

#93615 - 05/04/07 12:15 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: KevinB]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
I have a SAK Explorer model with a nylon sheat but I find I already tend to leave it at home. It has the magnifying glass, useful for reading small prints but forget making fire with that. Anyway later on I discovered fresnel lens. On my keychain I have Sliver Gripper tweezers, a teeny-weeny pair of folding scissors (not the Slip-N-Snip ones) that I got from the Canadian version of the Adventure Medical Pocket Medic, a Photon II red LED light and a mini Fox40 whistle hanged on a Lucky Line Secure-A-Key clip-on. It's starting to weigh a little bit but I wear sturdy leather belts. Sometimes I remove the obnoxious blaze orange whistle but before I got the Secure-A-Key clip-on, it once helped me find my lost keychain.

I will probably go with the Spyderco Delica plain edge that I will clip inside my waistband like on Doug's picture.

Frankie

#93636 - 05/04/07 03:23 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
pworks36 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Florida
This one has been running a bit, but still active so I'll chime in too. Unfortunately I am limited by a blade of no more than 2.5 inches to avoid it being considered a 'dangerous weapon' at work (I switch to more realistic knife at home). I've been carrying the Boker Sub Com folder for about eight months now. To me this is not an ultimate design, but it has proven comfortable to use, sturdy and effective, which is all I can really ask. The liner-lock, though not my favorite system, has provided reliable and solid lock-up every time. Since it retails in the mid-30's, can't be construed as a weapon (so I can drop it in the change dish at the metal detector [not at the airport] and get it back again), fills my hand well despite its small size, and allows me to go with something sturdier than many small bladed knives, it fits my need. Maybe not yours, but I hadn't seen this one mentioned and it works well for me.

#93683 - 05/04/07 11:31 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
LED Offline
Veteran

I've been using a Kershaw Ken Onion every day for about 3 years now and its held up surprisingly well. The assisted opening feature is a real plus. (and you can easily light strike anywhere matches on the handle) Of course the plain edge Spyderco Delica is always a good choice too.

#93877 - 05/07/07 08:40 AM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
Rick Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Baltmore MD
I have tons of knives, for the money I've spent this one is one of my favorit. It's easy to sharppen and feels good it your hand. I think you'd be happy with it.
http://www.countycomm.com/swiss.htm

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.