The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#92962 - 04/30/07 03:32 AM decent affordable EDC folding knife
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Hi all, following Chris' post "Nobody had a knife", it really made me think of everyday carrying a one-handed opening locking knife but I don't want to break the bank. The fact is, I need a knife. I went to the local Le Baron and I played with the Spyderco knives and I'm really impressed with the lightness of them. I really want something I will be easily carrying and that is useful for general purpose in urban environment (like cutting seatbelts). That would be my first serious everyday carry knife.

I'm leaning toward the Spyderco Endura 4, plaine edge (should it be plaine edge?) which is 59.94$ CAN right now, probably the lowest price I can get in Canada. What do you think of this choice?

Thank you
Frankie

#92976 - 04/30/07 06:13 AM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
CRKT M-16 EDC Zytel

I don't know what the exchange rate and shipping would be but I can definitely recommend one of these. Search the forums within the last 30 days. I posted a description and link about their locking mechanism. It locks up solid and can not be unlocked without a two step process that can easily be done quickly with one hand. With practice it is almost as fast as only a liner lock. They're well built and should handle anything you would use a fixed blade for short of batoning wood for kindling.

The only interest I have in the company is I like a good knife that's sharp straight out of the box.

Edited by UTAlumnus (04/30/07 06:14 AM)

#92981 - 04/30/07 06:44 AM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: UTAlumnus]
aardvark Offline

Loc: So. California
If you are at all concerned that people will see it as a weapon and not a tool, then something less 'tactical' looking may be a better choice in today's post 9-11, post VT environment. I used to have a serrated spyderco, but traded up to a ritter grip. This was primarily because the serrated blade looked too scary and pointy, and i was less likely to carry it if i thought people (PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER.) would think i was some scary dude. Also, the ritter grip has better steel. This was still too big, so now i have a small fallkniven u-2 pen knife in the pocket, and the ritter grip goes in the 'kit' bag. I think the u-2 was like $50 and it's small but very sharp, perfect for apples, cutting open packages. Another good choice for urban carry is the locking swiss army knife, the trekker i think. Don't think they're much over $40, has lots of other tool blades and no one thinks of a SAK as a weapon.

#92984 - 04/30/07 07:27 AM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
CentralOklahoma Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
http://www.coldsteel.com/folding-knives-voyager-series.html

I carry the Cold Steel Voyager, 4" clip point. Sharp, Durable, light. I bought it retail for $35.- US

#92999 - 04/30/07 02:23 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: CentralOklahoma]
ssbauer Offline

Loc: Ohio
I like the Spyderco Byrd line; priced right and durable.

#93002 - 04/30/07 02:31 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: ssbauer]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
In an urban environment, and especially heeding aardvark's concern, I would first suggest you get something akin to a Leatherman Wave. I am a firm believer in multi-tasking, and there is little a dedicated tactical locking folder such as the spyderco or CRKT can do that can't be accomplished using the Wave. The two cutting blades can be opened one handed easy enough, while not drawing too much attention your way should you have to deploy it in public, thus making yourself a suspect. The other functions you will come to find are a real convenience. It does weigh a bit more, but is not encumbering, and is well worth whatever burden. Now that I am back in the states, I will EDC mine every day, and that means on the train, the subway, the walk past Wall Street and the office here in Manhattan. If I can do it without complaining or getting hassled, anyone can.

#93022 - 04/30/07 05:34 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: Frankie]
stealthedc Offline

Loc: Durham NC
I EDC This Leatherman c301 . It opens very fast but has no springs to break down like other assisted opening knives. This knife is available straight edge or combo, I have the combo, and had no choice since it came with the LM Blast, and I thought I would prefer the straight edge better, and still probably do, but now I like the serrated feature. Great for sawing through things quickly.

The knife alone is probably $30. Walmart and Target usually have it.

#93025 - 04/30/07 05:48 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: stealthedc]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder how it would open with gloves on. I live in a northern region so this is a factor I want to keep in mind. Is it better a hole for opening with gloves or mitts on?

#93026 - 04/30/07 05:54 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: UTAlumnus]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Le Baron happens to have this one (http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp07/outdoor/columbia_river.pdf). I like the idea of being able to find it locally so that should I loose it, I can replace it quickly. Le Baron store is just in front of my grocery store. I will take a look at this knife closer.

#93029 - 04/30/07 06:03 PM Re: decent affordable EDC folding knife [Re: ssbauer]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Le Baron has the Byrd Raven among others. I will take a look at this one. You can't beat the price ($23.36 CAN).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 252 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.