Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#9274 - 09/14/02 08:24 PM Saving Private Ryan – a few questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Saving Private Ryan – a few questions<br>On the other side of the pond in Great Britain a couple of days ago they showed the film “Saving Private Ryan”. Apart from it being a really good film, showing all the horrors of war I got a few questions about the film.<br>When at last they all get into a “save” position on the beach the rangers start loading up. One soldier first hits the magazine on his helmet before entering it into his rifle. Why? This goes against my training as the rounds in the magazine might dislocate resulting in a blockage.<br>After taking out the machine gun position at the radar station they treat the patrol medic for his gunshot wound using white powder. What does this powder do? I thought it might speed up blood clotting. Is it still used today? Is it worth carrying in my FAK? Maybe not for gunshot wounds but anything bleeding major.<br>What does the insignia of a ying yang symbol mean? (a circle with a inverted “S” and on each side a different colour) To which unit does it belong?<br>One day I got the change to buy the shirts used in Saving Private Ryan. I never did it but I am interested in just the jacket every “soldier” wears on the set. Any one got any leads where to get it?<br>Although a really good film to see it once is enough. It’s the first war film I’ve seen that really gets the horror through to the viewer.<br>I’m sure I forgot one or two questions I wanted to ask, they’ll come later.<br>Thanks<br>Reinhardt <br> <br>

#9275 - 09/14/02 09:23 PM Re: Saving Private Ryan – a few questions
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Reinhardt, the powder was sulfa. A half century has advanced pharmaceuticals. What was then a new compound is long obsolete. The ying/yang symbol is from the far east and is associated with many religons, most closely taoism. It represents the duality of nature. I'm not sure which unit it did, or is meant to represent. Did you know the swastika was on Arizona road signs and a army unit's shoulder patch before ww2? It is a universal symbol and I can show you an ancient pictograph of one on the grand Canyon Mule trail. Hitler was a lousy artist and had to taint an old symbol. According to a local D-day vet, they tapped the enbloc clips for the M1 rifles to dislodge any sand. Original uniform items are extremely expensive ( and fragile). There are many re enactor groups that portray various units. they go to great lengths to replicate everything. They would be your best bet. Sometimes an item remained in service for many years and later issue can be reconverted.

#9276 - 09/16/02 11:58 AM Re: Saving Private Ryan – a few questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris,<br>So what does sulfa do? Does it clot the blood?<br>I knew that the swastika sign was used before Hitler came to power. For example the Greeks used it as the sign for the sun. The only difference being it rotated anti-clockwise. I <br>never heard that they used in Arizona too!<br>About the uniform jacket I thought they must have re-made them in great numbers for films like Saving Private Ryan and the series Band Of Brothers. Also as the shirts are on sale I thought these would be around too.<br>thanx<br>reinhardt

#9277 - 09/16/02 12:52 PM Re: Saving Private Ryan – a few questions
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Hitting a magazine against hard subject gives bullets inside a small jerk. If by any chance they got stuck together because of salt water, dirt or mud the hit made them move around and separate.<br>I still did it 3 years ago when in the Army for my 30 round M16 clips but it was more for show than anything.<br>The powder that u seen was a sulfa powder that helped to form clots and also disinfect.<br>US Calvary has some of the old field jackets for sale (www.uscalvary.com) they were replicas.

#9278 - 09/16/02 04:23 PM Re: Saving Private Ryan – a few questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Polak187,<br>Weren't you advised not to do it then (hitting a magazine)? Because of the rounds getting dislocated in the clip. Resulting in a feeding blockage. <br>thanx for the url.<br>Reinhardt

#9279 - 09/16/02 04:37 PM Re: Saving Private Ryan – a few questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris,<br>I just discovered what the ying/yang sign meant in military signs<br>One guy told me this:<br>"The "Yin-Yang" is the shoulder patch that denotes the 29th Infantry Division... aka "Blue & Gray"... which was a Virginia National Guard unit before the war and after... "<br><br>If you are interested in WWII medical info here's a site<br>http://home.att.net/~steinert/wwii.htm<br>Reinhardt<br>

#9280 - 09/16/02 07:02 PM Re: Saving Private Ryan – a few questions
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Nope. Not at all. Drill Sgts didn't mind. The rounds have really no place to move and when you hit the mag from the top it really creates no problem. Plus when you look at the feeding chamber you see that when receiver slides back there is no way that jam can get created due to construction of the loading mechanism. I do the same things now on my Ruger and the only jams I have is not from improper feed but from ejector mechanism. <br><br>The only way you can have a jam is when empty shell wasn't ejected from the chamber and new one was loaded in. It happened to me couple of times during Field Excercise when we were shooting blanks all day and than live rounds without cleaning of the rifle.

#9281 - 09/17/02 04:27 PM Re: Saving Private Ryan – a few questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

gosh that is interesting because on this side of the pond we do get problems with the standard issue british army rifle when loading the first round into the camber.<br>reinhardt

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.