Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#92625 - 04/26/07 11:11 PM Pellet gun in BOB
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Gamo P-23
I own a pellet gun (same one as in the link above) that I use for backyard pest control and for plinking. I was wondering if a pellet gun like the one I own, would be viable in aiding in the procurement of food in an emergency situation? I'm thinking that it'd be a good tool to have around, be I could be wrong.

#92627 - 04/26/07 11:16 PM Re: Pellet gun in BOB [Re: Themalemutekid]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I used to have one, and found it useless for practically everything.

Sue

#92631 - 04/26/07 11:32 PM Re: Pellet gun in BOB [Re: Themalemutekid]
smitty Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
If the pellet gun is powerful and accurate enough to bag squirrels and rabbits, then yes I think it would be a good tool to have. Low noise level and can carry lots of ammo, what more could you ask for. With a little practice I think anyone could easily score some squirrels with it. I think it is a good idea.

smitty

#92637 - 04/27/07 12:22 AM Re: Pellet gun in BOB [Re: Themalemutekid]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
That one, probably not so much. But I've got several thousand pellets for a .20 caliber air rifle (and the rifle) in my collection of gear because it will take a rabbit with a head shot and is accurate enough to pull it off out to about 25 feet. Quite, reasonably reliable, and ammunition takes up almost nothing. I figure a .50 cal can of pellets will last for several years.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#92642 - 04/27/07 01:23 AM Re: Pellet gun in BOB [Re: Themalemutekid]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have looked at the specification for the Gamo P-23. With a .177 (say 8.2 grains) pellet at 400 ft/sec the Energy (ft-lbs) is only 2.91. This is unacceptable to hunt rabbits or squirrels with. The minimum Energy (ft-lbs) should be at least 10-12 minimum. A more acceptable energy requirement for a clean kill should be greater than than the minimum I have quoted here. As the P-23 is a CO2 pistol, the pistol does not have unlimited usage unless you have a stock of 12gm CO2 cartridges. A more acceptable and useful air powered rifle would be something along the lines of the Air Arms S410 TDR

Export (FAC) versions should go up to more than 30 ft-lbs. A firearms certificate (FAC) is required in the UK for air rifles over 12ft lbs. I know, I know. But these weapons can be lethal even for humans above 12 ft-lbs.

#92649 - 04/27/07 02:19 AM Re: Pellet gun in BOB [Re: ]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I've got one of these and it works great:

http://www.crosman.com/site/listing/1101

Shoots a .22 caliber pellet at ~450 fps, but it is hand pumped so you don't need co2 cartridges. They're built better than the regular crosman guns too. It won't break the bank either at about $125. Whereas the TDR is over $1000.

A rifle would definately be better, but they are much larger and heavier.

#92650 - 04/27/07 03:39 AM Re: Pellet gun in BOB [Re: Paul810]
sotto Offline
Addict

Been awhile since I looked into this stuff. My Beeman R1 spring air rifle in .20 cal is extremely accurate, powerful, and has an adjustable trigger, and doesn't require CO2 cartridges. I imagine nowadays they are worth a pretty penny. As I recall, they import/imported a wide range of top notch air rifles that will last a lifetime. Check 'em out. My favorite ones are the ones made in Germany (Weihrach??). I think they may be pricier but well worth it if you're thinking longterm food.

Once I had occasion to eliminate a trash bird in my back yard. I would estimate he was about 30 feet away up in a tree. I popped him with the R1, there was a puff of feathers, and I couldn't even find the beak. So, if you want to eat small birds, it's a bad choice. But for bigger prey, it should do the job pronto. Around here there are enough pigeons to sink a battleship on any given day. Squirrels too. And opossums. And seagulls (fishy taste?). I could probably shoot this gun every day for the rest of my life 'til I was sick of it and not spend more than $50 on ammo.

Edited by sotto (04/27/07 03:44 AM)

#92662 - 04/27/07 04:40 AM Re: Pellet gun in BOB [Re: sotto]
Cyblade Offline
Journeyman

Crosman 1377 Pistol can also be fitted with a shoulder stock making it a light little carbine, I'm not sure about rabbits but I know for certain it will kill large birds like pigeons so it might help fill the stew pot.

#92663 - 04/27/07 04:43 AM Re: Pellet gun in BOB [Re: ironraven]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"I've got several thousand pellets for a .20 caliber air rifle (and the rifle) in my collection of gear because it will take a rabbit with a head shot and is accurate enough to pull it off out to about 25 feet."

If the wind isn't blowing. But if the game is within 25 ft, why not just throw a rock at it?

Sue

#92669 - 04/27/07 05:40 AM Re: Pellet gun in BOB [Re: Themalemutekid]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: Themalemutekid
I was wondering if a pellet gun like the one I own, would be viable in aiding in the procurement of food in an emergency situation? I'm thinking that it'd be a good tool to have around, be I could be wrong.

I don’t know much about air guns, but depending on the power of an air gun, it could procure some food for you.

However… would it not be more prudent to get a real gun for that? Rifles and pistols chambered in .22 LR have many of the same benefits of air guns: ammunition’s cheap, ammunition’s small, and relatively quiet. Additionally, a .22 LR will have a much greater range, better accuracy, a pretty good assurance of making a clean kill on small game, and even has a chance against larger (maybe even two-legged if you aim well) game.

I cannot speak for you, but if I were in an “emergency situation”, I would want something that is extremely reliable, has an excellent chance of doing its intended job, and is versatile enough to do other jobs as well. An air gun could work if it’s all you have, but I would look into getting something better suited to the task. Emergency situations are not a time for guesswork.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.