Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#92515 - 04/26/07 04:24 AM Nobody had a knife
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Los Angeles County, 22 eastbound freeway in Gardena today. A lady was rear ended in her Chrysler Sebring. The car caught fire and she was unable to unlatch her retraint system. SEVERAL motorists stopped. Two produced fire extinquishers which had little effect on the blaze. They were all screaming " anybody got a knife? " Nobody had a knife. A motorcycle officer arrived. He had a knife. They were able to cut the belts and literally pull her out with burning hair as the tank finally popped.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (04/26/07 04:26 AM)

#92518 - 04/26/07 04:58 AM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Most people don't carry a knife..it's a shame IMO.

#92522 - 04/26/07 05:26 AM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: Themalemutekid]
kharrell Offline
Typical Survival Victim

Originally Posted By: Themalemutekid
Most people don't carry a knife..it's a shame IMO.

or enough water, warm clothing, fire starters.....

#92527 - 04/26/07 05:46 AM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: kharrell]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
This isn't the first time this has happened. A couple of years ago, my uncle was telling me about almost an identical situation. Only I don't remember if the person in that one lived. Won't be the last time it happens either.

#92532 - 04/26/07 11:03 AM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
handyman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts
I think most people don't carry knives , especialy women . Knives , like guns , have become evil , scary objects to the flocks of PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. . The times I've produced a pocket knife , to sharpen a pencil , cut a piece of string or whatever , the reactions I've gotten have been sort of funny and sad . They have been shocked , surprised , their eyes widen , and some seem fascinated by the knife like it was some alien object , they want to see it , touch it . And , HOLY CRAP !!! , if I use an assisted open knife , the reactions are worse - " are you crazy ? what are you doing with a switch blade ? that knife is illegal ".

#92533 - 04/26/07 11:14 AM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: handyman]
Eugene Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

I used to do a lot of computer service work and had my first no name multitool. I pulled it out a few times to use the knife to open boxes containing the parts I was about to replace in the pc or printer and once got a reaction "Thats a knife!!". I tried to ask her how else I would cut the tape sealing the box her part was shipped in but she was far enough away she didn't even hear me by that time.

#92534 - 04/26/07 12:17 PM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: Eugene]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
In The Netherlands they want to make a law that says every new car that is sold must have a life-hammer in it. (with a build-in seatbelt-cutter)

(THOSE are good laws wink )

How severe where the injuries of the woman?

#92535 - 04/26/07 12:18 PM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: handyman]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Quote:
They have been shocked , surprised , their eyes widen , and some seem fascinated by the knife like it was some alien object , they want to see it , touch it .

Let them touch it...then you can show them your FAK to... smirk

#92552 - 04/26/07 02:11 PM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
tranx Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hello,

One or two years ago, something similar happened here in Belgium, but the outcome was much worse.

A father on road with his two toddlers had an accident. The car got on fire. He could not open the belts of the kids seats in the backseat, because they were jammed. He repeatedly tried to free them until the heat/fire spread to far. There was nothing he could do. He was not as lucky as the lady in the above-mentioned accident. It must have been terrible for the him, not being able to do something.

A knife could have made all the difference.
A knife is a basic tool no one should be without.

This reminds me I was planning to put a knife in my wife's car. She's not very much into preparedness, but I will convince her to have at least one in the car (and hopefully start carrying one). Thanks for the article/reminder!

Vince.

#92553 - 04/26/07 02:14 PM Re: Nobody had a knife [Re: handyman]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I've given at least three girls I've dated, at their request, some sort of knife. Usually pocket knives, although the girl I'm dating now got a small mora. Nothing spreads the word about how important it is to have a knife like having one and carrying it.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 232 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.