Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#92471 - 04/25/07 10:30 PM Re: Looking for your collective wisdom [Re: NightHiker]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Welcome.

If you like to shop brick and mortar places for gear, you'll have a couple of nice options when you get to Maine. The Kittery Trading Post, in Kittery, ME, is an awesome outdoor "stuff" place. Good for hunting, camping, hiking, fishing, boating, whatever. There's also another little place in Freeport called LL Bean.

- Ron

#92473 - 04/25/07 11:49 PM Re: Looking for your collective wisdom [Re: redwing]
MOAlan Offline
Stranger

Loc: central Missouri
I have the same backpack and many of the same items and several of the same needed upgrades.

Instead of having so many Nalgene bottles, I use a 2 liter hydradration bag since your pack is hydration compatable.

I would also go with a small headlamp such as the Atom which only costs around $10 and is so light that you will forget you have it on.(rather embarassing) The Atom provides plenty of light for around the camp and I have had mine for several years and am still using the original battery.

#92488 - 04/26/07 01:13 AM Re: Looking for your collective wisdom [Re: redwing]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

first suggestion don't weigh your pack, If it feels too heavy it probable is. But if it feels O.K. then it is, don't try to get it to somebody elses idea of what a pack should weigh.

#92493 - 04/26/07 02:03 AM Re: Looking for your collective wisdom [Re: NightHiker]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Personally I prefer something like Emergen'C. I wasn't saying that it was bad, it has a very low bulk and weight if you want a water flavorant. But it does have to be added after purification agents do their thing, because if it has certain acids in it that neutralize both iodine and chlorine dioxide.

Many people aren't aware of that. There is no mention of it on any purification item I've ever seen, and you could knock me over with a light breeze if the CL package had that warning on it.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#92495 - 04/26/07 02:37 AM Re: Looking for your collective wisdom [Re: ironraven]
silent_weapon Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Don't get fixated on the "Two trekking poles and kneesocks crowd..." A good or even cheapo headlamp is a godsend. As a cop on night shift...I am a flashlight FREAK and have spent my fair share of paychecks on flashlights. But my MYO XP headlamp is worth every penny I have ever spent on surefire/streamlight flashlights...if just for the utility and the GREAT battery life. I even bought my kids the "energizer" cheapo LED headlamps at walmart for $6.00, they love using them while camping. It is a different world having the use of both hands in the dark and not having spit running down the side of a flashlight clutched in the mouth.....but to each his own...

I read your list several times and didn't see mention of it...but down here (Oklahoma) you would be remiss without including some bug juice (deet or similar) in your kit.

#92505 - 04/26/07 03:52 AM Re: Looking for your collective wisdom [Re: silent_weapon]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
OK, was that reply ment for me? Or another post in this thread.

We've been getting sloppy, it makes the forum a bit... confusing. And I'm not picking on you silent, some of our most veteran people have been getting in this bad habit.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#92509 - 04/26/07 04:01 AM Re: Looking for your collective wisdom [Re: silent_weapon]
redwing Offline
Stranger

Wow - that'a a lot of responses. Thanks to all. I'll respond to those that I can.

PC2K - I hike usually in low "mountains" (1500 feet or so) near Penobscot Bay, mostly. The upgrade to the sweatshirt will be wool - I loathe fleece. Can't stand the way it feels, or even looks. I have never used the handwarmers - you're saying they don't work very well? I guess I should field test them. They are small, light and cheap. But I could live without them. Mebbe keep'em in the truck, but not if they don't work. I was really thinking of having them on hand for others to use.

The dishcloth isn't for dishes. Come to think of it - I'm not sure what the heck it is for. Gone. Thanks. By the way, everything is always wet in the Maine woods.

I guess you're right about the lightsticks. One less thing I have to buy.

Nighthiker - I may have mentioned that I wouldn't take this entire load on a dayhike. The bag is also used as a bougout bag. I actually don't have the long john top - that's a future upgrade. The pants might just stay on a long hike, though, because I always hike in shorts. It gets cold (and buggy) in the Maine woods at night. I amthinking about two 50' hanks of paracord instead of the rope. Would only need one on a hike, but nice to have more for bugout. Man, I really like towels. I'll replace them with one camp towel. I really like towels. The crystal lite is purely to mask the taste of water. I don't like water and never, ever drink it. I haven't had a glass of water in twenty years, I'm sure. I'm a Gatorade freak.

Ironraven - silk - excellent idea. That's the way I'll go. Had boots in the car - have to get new ones. Will, in Maine. Just started thinking about a hammock - I think it's a good idea. Looks like I'll eighty-six the tarp. I'll just keep it in the truck. Thanks.

raydarkhorse - the Buck was a mistake, which is why it's just keeping a spot warm for a fixed blade. Really thinking about a Griptillian or a Ritter. Funding issues at the moment.

Be_Prepared - L.L. Bean is a great store if you want to look pretty. There's a good outdoor store in Rockport, called Maine Sport, and I know a few "redneck" stores and gun shops.

MOAlan - never tried a baldder. Seems gimmicky to me.

big_al - you're right. I never weigh myself. Thought it might be interesting to keep track. But I was probably being defensive - some of you guys know every spec of every piece of gear you have. I can't even remeber if it's QuickTinder or TinderQuick (or something else).

silent_weapon - mebbe I'll try a cheapie. Still seems kinda geeky to me - but I carry two towels and a dishcloth. I really like towels.

Okay - thanks for all the feedback. I'm gonna lighten my load forthwith.

Except for the towels.

Edited by redwing (04/26/07 04:22 AM)

#92517 - 04/26/07 04:49 AM Re: Looking for your collective wisdom [Re: redwing]
redwing Offline
Stranger

Okay - that didn't hurt too much. Gone are:

one of the towels
the washcloth (which I have never used)
the chemical handwarmers
the spare shirt (which I had just recently added).
the nylon rope (also a recent addition)
tarp - never used (I use an tent when camping)
lexan plate - which I like to use at home, anyway
extra foil - was in there mostly becasue I didn't want to throw it out.

Despite appearances, I am a minimalist when it comes to my household possessions. Everything I own fits in the truck, or will, once my boat is sold.

Musta shaved a couple of pounds, though.

Off my shopping list is lightsticks.

Oh, and kharrell - I put a case of water in my truck tonight - thanks again.

And thanks to all who commented. Except for that towel, it's stuff that I have not actually used - I have been wintering in Florida, and most of my outdoor time has been on the water, in small boats, where I carry only my EDC, FAK, and PSK. And a sweatshirt. Most of my jettisoned gear was added this winter - I would probably have lugged it around for a couple of months in Maine before I tossed it. Thanks for the sweat you have all saved me.

I think I'll post my (pocket) FAK contents soon, which varies,as I use it, but which has ballooned recently. I am a geek for FAK's - my main one is in a tackle box, full of stuff I'll probably never use. Hope not, anyway.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.