Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >
Topic Options
#92100 - 04/23/07 01:52 PM Re: Are you equipped to defend yourself [Re: handyman]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Um, is it really necessary to be so hostile toward another country just because they have a different legislation? Have you been to the UK at all?

I would never call the British a nation of brainwashed sheep (maybe Tony Blair would qualify but that's a different matter lol). If anything, I felt pretty safe in the UK and the people I met were very friendly and helpful. As were the few policemen I came in personal contact with. I understand crime is an increasing concern in the UK but the last time I was there they still seemed to be doing pretty well in that department. If you look at the swift and effective response after the recent terrorist attacks in London (some of which were actually successfully prevented by the police) their law enforcement is doing a good job, too.

#92109 - 04/23/07 02:33 PM Re: Are you equipped to defend yourself [Re: Tom_L]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Quote:
If you look at the swift and effective response after the recent terrorist attacks in London (some of which were actually successfully prevented by the police) their law enforcement is doing a good job, too.

They do a good job but they are not perfect. Just ask the poor Brazilian guy who got shot in the head. 9-11 should have served as a wakeup call but they had to undergo their own attack before they really cracked down on the islamofascists.

An admirable society in many ways, but hardly "utopia".

#92146 - 04/23/07 07:41 PM Re: Are you equipped to defend yourself [Re: handyman]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
It's very sad that you have become a nation of brainwashed sheep .
WHY are you on the ETS forums ? What could possibly happen to you when you live in utopia ?

I'm not aware of any British equivalent to Project MKULTRA.

Hopefully I can bring a slightly different considered viewpoint to the debates to the difficult questions raised. If you think I live in Utopia then I really do hope that you are not going to live in a future Dystopia. Heterotopia is where we are right now, both you and me. Outopia is a but a distant dream.

#92149 - 04/23/07 08:02 PM Re: Are you equipped to defend yourself [Re: ]
Micah513 Offline

Loc: Springfield, MO
So if you experience a major TEO... due to an EMP and society breaks down then how do you plan to defend yourself?

#92150 - 04/23/07 08:17 PM Re: Are you equipped to defend yourself [Re: Micah513]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

And just how likely is that anyway? It's not like TEOTWAWKI happens every day. Besides, I wouldn't worry about the Brits too much. They're a tough bunch and can pull themselves together when they need to. They survived Hitler's blitz, daily bombings and a severe submarine blockade in WWII. I guess they could survive a power outage too. wink

#92154 - 04/23/07 08:28 PM Re: Are you equipped to defend yourself [Re: Micah513]
gatormba Offline

Loc: Alabama
Originally Posted By: Micah513
So if you experience a major TEO... due to an EMP and society breaks down then how do you plan to defend yourself?

Well they could always ask the UN for help, that seems to work wonders. Or if worse comes to worst then our gun culture here can always throw a benefit to raise guns for those across the pond. We could call it "Gun AID." The NRA could sell hotdogs and 2nd Amendment tee shirts. Maybe Tud Nugent could headline the event. smirk

#92167 - 04/23/07 10:29 PM Re: Are you equipped to defend yourself [Re: NightHiker]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Bentirran,

I am curious, given the number of now illegally owned firearms here in Australia, did the general population of the UK really disarm themselves, or have they stashed them away as everybody here seems to have?

It is difficult for me to think that such an intelligent population would not at least consider the prospect that things could change for the worse, and retain at least some measure of deterence should the need arise.

#92258 - 04/24/07 12:35 PM Re: Are you equipped to defend yourself [Re: benjammin]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I am curious, given the number of now illegally owned firearms here in Australia, did the general population of the UK really disarm themselves, or have they stashed them away as everybody here seems to have?

It is actually possible to own a legal firearm in the UK, only there are restrictions on the types of firearms that can be held. Automatic assault rifles and concealable hand gun cannot be held with a firearms license. Other firearms are used in field sports and are available to those with a firearms license. A firearms license is processed by the police authorities and rigorous background checks made.

There are sportsmen and sportswomen who are involved in the sporting side such as target shooting and other field sports such as hunting. The UK target shooting teams have an impressive record at the Olympics and they will to continue to do so. The rifles used by these sportsmen is not generally held at their homes but securely at their sports club under very tight security conditions.

I would suspect that the chances that anyone in the UK has easy access to an Assault rifle, which has be salted away are very low indeed to the point of being almost impossible, although I have heard that someone in Manchester was able to purchase through the Internet from the US by ordering separate individual parts. Concealed hand guns are again very hard to get hold off but I would suspect not impossible. Ammunition for these weapons would probably be even harder to get.

Quote:
It is difficult for me to think that such an intelligent population would not at least consider the prospect that things could change for the worse, and retain at least some measure of deterence should the need arise.

The difference in outlook when things get tough or difficult is really a cultural one. I suspect that in the US people have a different mindset. People in the US are more individualistic, they are forced to rely on there own abilities and see others in their communities as potential threats to the own way of life. I think an example would be useful. In the late 1960's there was a Blackout in New York, there was looting and anarchy. In the UK in the 1970's there was something called the 3 day week. During 4 days out of 7 electrical power was turned off around the country. During that period people just went to bed earlier than normal by candlelight and some learned to play the piano and most got around to reading that unfinished novel during the extra time they had on their hands. Some even claim that they had a great time during the 3-day week. Apparently the birth rate jumped considerably 9 months later.

#92268 - 04/24/07 03:14 PM Re: Are you equipped to defend yourself [Re: ]
simplesimon Offline

Oddly the people who shake their heads wondering why americans don't have Britains gun laws forget to mention that since Britain introduced them, the number of shootings have gone up.
Britain was the easiest place to get rid of guns. Hardly anyone had one, most people didn't even know someone who had one.

All the guns were confiscated, no one can get a licence for one now. And it's an island with no 6,000 miles of landborders to patrol.
Only the week before the British media were aghast at americans 'foolishness' in allowing people to own guns, the same media was full (as it had been for months) with reports of teenagers shooting teenagers yet again.

It's never been easier to get a gun illegally. The obvious fact that the Virginia chap would have simply used an illegal gun is never mentioned.
Simon

#92269 - 04/24/07 03:15 PM Re: Are you equipped to defend yourself [Re: ]
simplesimon Offline

Oddly the people who shake their heads wondering why americans don't have Britains gun laws forget to mention that since Britain introduced them, the number of shootings have gone up.
Britain was the easiest place to get rid of guns. Hardly anyone had one, most people didn't even know someone who had one.

All the guns were confiscated, no one can get a licence for one now. And it's an island with no 6,000 miles of landborders to patrol.
Only the week before the British media were aghast at americans 'foolishness' in allowing people to own guns, the same media was full (as it had been for months) with reports of teenagers shooting teenagers yet again.

It's never been easier to get a gun illegally. The obvious fact that the Virginia chap would have simply used an illegal gun is never mentioned.
Simon

Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.