Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#9225 - 09/13/02 03:00 PM Re: Nose Bleed!!
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
re: Tea Bag<br><br>Hmmm... I don't remember hearing this before. I would guess that the tea acts as an astringent and aids in the clotting. I wonder if it could be used in a pinch for small wounds. I can see myself on the trail with a nasty, but not sever cut. Pull out my alcohol stove and pot and boil myself a nice cup off tea, while sanitizing the tea bag. Then sip away while holding the spent bag on the wound. ahhh... That's better.

#9226 - 09/13/02 03:10 PM Re: Nose Bleed!!
billvann Offline
Old Hand

A current scout book would have given you help as it has a fairly complete first aid section for basic treatment. Remember it's for young boys, so it may not be as comprehensive as other books. <br><br>Scouts are required to learn more and more first aid as the advance through each rank. Fortunately, the authors put all of the first aid text in one spot, in the First Class (Red) section. I only wish they segragated it a bit so it's easier to find in an emergency, even a minor one such as yours. <br><br> I think I'll carry a pack of Post-It Note tabs we use at work and start tagging the beginning page of the first aid section on the boy's manual. I think I'll also start writting the local poison control center number in the front cover.<br><br>BTW, the Red Cross often offers their training through local hospitals and clinics. They also provide a book with the course. I had mine from when I was a youth (1970's) until 2 years ao. After working with the scouts on their first aid requirements, I discovered than many of the stabdad procedures have changed, like tilting the head forward now for nose bleeds. I decided it was potentially harmful to have the obsolete text lying around.

#9227 - 09/13/02 05:04 PM Re: Nose Bleed!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would think that if you are still bleeding significantly after an alcohal stove boiled a cup of tea you might not need the tea. ;>)

#9228 - 09/13/02 05:20 PM Re: Nose Bleed!!
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
YouŽll be much better off if you dress the wound properly with some sterile material. The bag will not be sanitized if you brew your tea in the usual manner. You have a really good chance of contaminating the wound plus the water from the bag might impede the clotting. The benefits are at least questionable.<br>

#9229 - 09/13/02 05:39 PM Re: Nose Bleed!!
billvann Offline
Old Hand

I agree, my reply was half tongue-in-cheek, which doesn't always come across properly on the internet.<br><br>However, the other half was somewhat serious. There are many wild plants and herbs that have astringent properties. My preference will be to use proper dressings after irrigating the wound. But if one does find themselves in a rare, extended emergency situation where your preferred supplies have been exhausted, than knowing usefull alternatives is valuable knowledge. I'd rather not ake a poultice of Sweetfern leaves or from a used tea bag. But if I have no alternatives, it's good to know what can help survive. Also, I recall that some premade kits and some personal kits list tea bags as an included item, so if there were any medical uses, it may a[pply to folks on the forum.<br><br>

#9230 - 09/14/02 02:35 AM Re: Nose Bleed!!
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
Most nose bleeds occur from the capillaries underneath the nasal mucosa on either side little's area (on the cartilaginous extension of the nasal septum). Therefore because it is capillary bleeding, it is (1) highly unlikely to be fatal (2) will generally stop on its own ( of course in the meanwhile the parents will be freaking out)<br><br>Treatment consists of direct pressure on the capillaries that are bleeing in the area - <br>(1)squeeze both nostrils tight against the cartilaginous area of nose in the midline.<br>(2)Lean head forward. <br>(3)Breath through the mouth.<br>(4)Hold it there for 10 minutes. <br>That should stop all the bleeding.<br><br>Wet rags are mildly comforting to the patient but have no real effect on stemming the bleeding. <br>Don't put anything in the nose either.<br>And for goodness sake don't dig the scab when the blood has clotted !<br><br>For frequent bleeders, they might benefit from chemical cautery of the offending blood vessels in the nose.<br>Other medications which can be helpful are oxymetazoline nasal spray - this shrinks down the diameter of blood vessels and reduces the incidence of bleeding.<br><br>This is general medical advice and is not intended for any particular person or individual. Please consult your own physician before using any of the medications suggested.<br><br>

#9231 - 09/14/02 09:32 AM Re: Nose Bleed!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I used to suffer from nosebleeds occassionally when I was a kid.<br><br>After being told numerous 'remedies' by various adults (tilting head backward, rags etc.) I finally settled on this one:<br><br>Go to the toilet cubicle, close the door, stuff some sheets of paper into the bowl, stand with head above toilet, don't touch nose at all and bleed into the bowl until no blood emerges for more than two minutes.<br><br>Emerge from cubicle (when there's no-one else around; the sight of a face full of blood tends to scare some people). Grab some sheets of tissue paper, wet them under the faucet, and gently clean the outside of the nose. Wash the rest of the face in the normal manner.<br><br>Ensure that there is no blood remaining anywhere. Drops of blood falling more than a few inches tend to create splashes in the most odd places. And blood in the toilet bowl goes hard very rapidly, so an occassional flush is required to get rid of it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 266 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.