Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#91629 - 04/19/07 02:05 AM Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem.
alvacado Offline

Loc: South Texas
When I mentioned to my law inforcement pistol range partners that I was going to get Handicapped Plates for my wife's car, they almost came unglued. They said, in their experience, my wife would then be three or four times more likely to be a crime victim. They suggested that I get the blue rear view mirror hanging placard and only use it when absoutely necessary. Their point was so obvious that I had never consisered it; if you "advertise" that you are weak and defenseless you will attract every bad guy that sees your "ad".

Age and Treachery will overcome Youth and Enthusiasm

#91631 - 04/19/07 02:20 AM Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. [Re: alvacado]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I'd agree, to a point- handicapped spots are usually closer to the "front" of lot, and thus the door. High traffic area, well lit, everything you want to do reduce your likelihood of being targeted. I would see it as more of a target with a carjacking, park on the street or if you have to use a large parking garage. I guess the only way to answer the question is to sit down with your wife after having your range buddies get you real data, and have a conversation where her disabilities are honestly appraised. Also check with disability advocacy agencies and maybe AARP, they might have the numbers if no one else does. If the advantages of the placard outweigh what I would see as a slight increase in risk, then I would say go for it.

Does Texas use a placard or plates? If it's a placard that hangs from a rearview or on the dash, use it when needed and take it down when you want a slightly lower profile.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#91635 - 04/19/07 03:11 AM Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. [Re: alvacado]
alvacado Offline

Loc: South Texas
Ironraven:
A couple of points:
The fact that the handicapped spots are up front, well lighted, etc, makes it that much easier for the bad guys to spot your "ad" and follow you HOME or elsewhere, where many of the crimes occur.
I apoligize if my post somehow implied that I am asking for confirmation, verification, or advice on this subject...I am not. My purpose is simply to alert others.

Lastly, Texas offers both the HC Lic. Plate OR Placards.

Age and Treachery will overcome Youth and Enthusiasm

#91670 - 04/19/07 03:26 PM Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. [Re: alvacado]
stevez Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado
Thanks for the information! This would be good information for the issuing agency to include when distributing the plates or placards.

#91672 - 04/19/07 03:43 PM Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. [Re: alvacado]
kmat Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spring, Texas
Thank you for the information. I have been asked many times to fill out and sign applications for my patients. I will share this info with my patients and friends. Thanks again!
kmat

#91736 - 04/19/07 09:58 PM Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. [Re: ironraven]
thtimster Offline

Handicap licence plates also present the problem that they may be
easily removed/stolen. The interior tag that you would hang from
your rear-view mirror is harder to get to (if you lock your doors.)

#91774 - 04/20/07 04:42 AM Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. [Re: alvacado]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> They said, in their experience, my wife would then be three or four times
> more likely to be a crime victim.

I haven't seen any mention of that in the papers or on the news. I realize it's "in their experience," but I have some reservations about it. Does anyone have any links or other resources where I could look that up? I have relatives who need and have handicapped parking plates, and I'd hate to see them having to go any further than they do now when it's not that certain.

#91799 - 04/20/07 01:31 PM Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. [Re: kmat]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I wouldn't accept this at face value, KMAT. My van has had these plates for 21+ years and we have never had a problem. I believe that's because almost all Handicapped parking spots are at the front of stores, etc.

The biggest problem we have is when those spots are full and we have to park in a regular spot. We then park in the back 40 and inevitably, some AH will park right next to us on the van's cargo door (right) side. We then have to pull back (into the traffic lane of the parking lot) to load my daughter's chair.

We use situational awareness at all times and don't stop/unload in questionable places.

#91815 - 04/20/07 03:36 PM Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. [Re: wildman800]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
That was the point I was trying to make.

My "range buddies" with badges are better at borrowing trouble than they are at shooting, and some of them are pretty good at the latter. I can't imagine it's too different in Texas.

Besides, if you need the tag, odds are you have a mobility issue that sticks out like, well, a cane.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#91908 - 04/21/07 02:21 PM Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. [Re: ironraven]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
As far as I can tell, there is no real point to handicapped plates. They let you park in handicapped spots. Period.

The hanging placards are removable. When hung from the rear-view mirror, they let you park in handicapped spots.

If there is a difference, please explain.

"...the handicapped spots are up front, well lighted, etc, makes it that much easier for the bad guys to spot your "ad" and follow you HOME or elsewhere, where many of the crimes occur."

When crimes against the handicapped occur, do you think the criminal speaks up and says, "Oh, I knew she wouldn't be a problem because she was driving a car with handicapped plates".

Don't look for figures on crimes based on the victim's license plate, because in many cases no one even realizes that's why the crime occurred. Wildman800 may be aware of his surroundings, but most people could have someone follow them home in a bright purple VW Thing with blinking headlights and not notice it.

And just because you haven't been a victim yet, doesn't mean you won't be one tomorrow.

Sue

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.