Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Just remember not to run with them smile smile smile

#91740 - 04/19/07 10:30 PM Re: Survival in the classroom? [Re: MDinana]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
If the holstered pistol is in plain view, then you are guilty of the crime of Affray unless you are at a shooting event or out hunting in a rural environment, or in your place of business or private abode.

If it is holstered and not in plain view, and you do not have a ccw, then you are guilty of unlawful carry of a concealed weapon.

A knifeless multitool seems kinda pointless. You've taken away the most important function of the thing.

Better still, don't go to classrooms or dormitories above the second floor.

I tell you what, if you take hold of my Super Redhawk when the hammer is back and I touch off a round, unless you are wearing welders gloves the bypass at the gap between the cylinder face and the forcing cone will vent enough high pressure gas to cut the palm of your hand like a meat cleaver. I bet you will let go then! It'd be far better to grab that revolver back at the hammer and either keep it from retracting or block it from hitting the firing pin or the primer. Don't even think of grabbing around the barrel end behind the muzzle of a semi-auto or the slide will slice and dice your fingers when the gun gets discharged.

Far better advice would be to find something to wallup the pistol and hand of the shooter with good and hard and fast, deflecting the barrel away, and maybe dislodging it or temporarily disabling the shooter or at least giving yourself enough time to administer another good wallup across his chops. I prefer to grab that shooting hand and raise it above the shooter's head while stepping in with a couple good knee shots to the groin if I am reduced to grappling with him.

Still, the best recommendation I can make is to shoot the MF right between the eyes the moment he steps into view. There's not much question of the outcome then!!! >: )

#91743 - 04/19/07 10:48 PM Re: Survival in the classroom? [Re: urbansurvivalist]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
I wouldn't trust the lock

Check out the Auto-Lawks from CRKT. Its a liner lock with an automatic block. Releasing the lock requires two separate motions that can be done one handed only if you change your grip on the knife to deliberately release it.

#91747 - 04/19/07 11:13 PM Re: Survival in the classroom? [Re: Dave568]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Remember that the pack of books you're carrying can weigh 20+ lbs. & swing for the fences. Individual books can be thrown or swung. Pencils & pens leave rather nasty holes when applied correctly. I've given this some thought over the years as an argument in case someone wanted to make an issue about carrying a knife.

#91751 - 04/20/07 12:29 AM Re: Survival in the classroom? [Re: UTAlumnus]
urbansurvivalist Offline

Loc: Asheville, NC
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Quote:
I wouldn't trust the lock

Check out the Auto-Lawks from CRKT. Its a liner lock with an automatic block. Releasing the lock requires two separate motions that can be done one handed only if you change your grip on the knife to deliberately release it.

The only folding knife I would trust for a stabbing is a butterfly(balisong) knife. Any knife would probably be fine for slashing, but I don't think that would be effective enough against a gunman. I figure your best chance with a knife is to wait next to the door if you hear him coming, and go for the neck as soon as he walks in. As someone pointed out, a regular pen would probably work, though I imagine it might be hard to get a secure grip for the amount of thrust needed.

This type of massacre is so rare that I wouldn't carry a butterfly just for that purpose if I was still in college, but I've thought about getting one if I move to a big city, for muggers and such.

#91754 - 04/20/07 12:52 AM Re: Survival in the classroom? [Re: urbansurvivalist]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

A good high quality locking folder is plenty reliable these days as a stabbing weapon. However, if I got hold of the guy's shooting arm I'd slash his wrists hard and deep and he will be unable to pull on a trigger immediately. If he still struggles or the arms do not present a viable target, then a throat or face slash would be next. A stab wound to the thorax is not typically quickly incapacitating unless delivered in very specific areas and/or with great force.

BTW, don't stop with just one swipe or stab either. Once you've interrupted his attack, keep the pressure on full bore until he completely submits or is rendered visibly incapacitated.

#91761 - 04/20/07 01:43 AM Re: Survival in the classroom? [Re: urbansurvivalist]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

That's why I like the CRKT M16 family.
1. Opens & locks quicker than a butterfly. One flick of the wrist with a push on the Carson Flipper will open & lock the knife or thumb stud will open.
2. The lock is much, much better than the butterflies I'm familiar with.
3. IIRC some places consider the butterfly to be a switchblade.

I finally found a description & pictures on their website.
CRKT Auto-LAWKS

On the one I've got the blade locks almost as solid as a fixed blade. The only movement is the space needed for tolerances. The liner lock is blocked from being moved out of the path of the blade by the spring loaded yellow piece in the drawing.

#91779 - 04/20/07 05:00 AM Re: Survival in the classroom? [Re: benjammin]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Quote:
I prefer to grab that shooting hand and raise it above the shooter's head while stepping in with a couple good knee shots to the groin if I am reduced to grappling with him.

That kind of reminded me of this comic and the next one:
http://www.poisonedminds.com/d/20040607.html

http://www.poisonedminds.com/d/20040611.html

It's written by a Brit called Alan Foreman.

Hopefully thats good enough documentation.

#91781 - 04/20/07 05:14 AM Re: Survival in the classroom? [Re: AROTC]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Yes, definitely the second one!

#91821 - 04/20/07 04:33 PM Re: Survival in the classroom? [Re: urbansurvivalist]
TK_Miller Offline
stranger

People, if you're close enough for hand-hand fighting with a knife, why not acquire one of these units http://www.taser.com/ctwo/index.htm ?

I've seen the full sized X26 used and they work flawlessly. Then you wouldn't have to feel so bad because you had to dispatch a 'bad guy'.

Just a thought.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.