The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#9172 - 09/12/02 03:20 PM Executive Carry Knife
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I searched previous threads and the rest of the site for info on the SOG Access Card, but I found no reference or review. Anyone have experience with this model or similar knives> (There were some suggestions on keychain and pocket "penknioves")<br><br>I was considering getting it to add to my "ExwecutiveSK" since it would appear to fit in my Palm case business card holder. Hence the credit card size and flat profile caught my attention. Other brands offering similar concepts seemed more gimmicky (staple remover, magnifying lens, etc. The SOG seemed to be a better knife, even though it does include a small tweezers & screwdriver.

#9173 - 09/12/02 03:26 PM Re: Executive Carry Knife
Anonymous
Unregistered

looks a good bit of kit - i own the Tool Logic version and your right they are a bit more gimmicky but if all u want it is a solid knife handy that looks pretty good!<br><br>Mark

#9174 - 09/12/02 03:52 PM Re: Executive Carry Knife
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
I have an SOG Access Card with the plain edge. The blade itself, like all SOG products, is of very high quality, but I have some reservations about the durability of the lock mechanism.<br><br>I don't use the knife much, as it lives in my wallet survival kit (which has all sorts of wallet sized survival gear--in a wallet). Mainly I find it useful for getting past security checks. It doesn't seem unusual to security personnel when I hold my wallet in my hand when entering a rock concert, or when I drop it in the personal effects bin with my car keys before going through a metal detector. If anyone asks, I usually explain that I'm concerned about my credit cards being demagnetized and no further questions get asked.<br><br>The lock mechanism is constructed of plastic, with an external spring. Though the spring is covered by the "pocket clip", it would seem that the pocket clip was added just for the purposes of protecting the lock mechanism. The clip itself, because of this requirement, is effectively useless, as it offers only about 1.5" or depth, rendering it less than optimal as a money clip or leaving 1.5" of the knife sticking out of a pocket if you use it as a pocket clip. Also, the thickness of the clip makes it difficult to fit into a regular wallet slot. <br><br>The wallet I use to carry this knife has a zippered change pocket that it *just* big enough to squeeze the knife into. One advantage of carrying it a wallet change pocket is that change pockets are expected to contain metal objects.<br><br>The tweezers, screwdriver, and toothpick are okay and don't get it the way of the knife's primary functionality. The knife is very easy to open with one hand, and is surprisingly comfortable to use, given its odd shape.<br><br>The primary reason I chose this knife over, say, the Spyderco credit card knife, was the fact that I don't like the way the Spyderco looks, but now that I own the SOG, I may reconsider this.

#9175 - 09/12/02 04:24 PM Re: Executive Carry Knife
zpo2 Offline
Stranger

I recommend the Spydercard, its what I carry. Be sure to look over the lock. I took the time to experiment with mine and found that I could overpower it with my hands, but it took quite a bit of effort. It doesn't concern me that much because I use locks mainly to just keep the blades open, I don't trust that many of them to take an impact (even though my s2k is supposed to) I kinda treat them like slip joints. And it a wallet knife, so I gues I can only expect so much, but its been handy and reassuring to have it there.

#9176 - 09/12/02 04:49 PM Re: Executive Carry Knife
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Hmm... Your observations about the plastic lock and the money clip seem right on. I looked at a few websites regarding the Spydercard and it looks to a better choice for my application. Plus I found a web site that offered it for $25!<br><br>Next question. Plain or 50/50 serated blades? Since it's not an every day carry type of knife, I'd lean towards the serated version.

#9177 - 09/12/02 07:16 PM Re: Executive Carry Knife
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>Plain or 50/50 serated blades? Since it's not an every day carry type of knife, I'd lean towards the serated version.<<<br><br>I'm not particularly fond of serrations. They have a place in sailing and diving, where cutting rope and line is a large part of a knife's task, but for me, the requirement of special tools for sharpening is a serious drawback.<br><br>Besides, peanut butter was not meant to look like a Japanese rock garden.<br><br>

#9178 - 09/12/02 10:25 PM Re: Executive Carry Knife
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
For such a small blade 50/50 serrated blades donīt offer a significant advantage. The plain blade is better for precise cutting. Iīd recommend the plain blade.<br>The need for a special sharpener is a disadvantage. But if you donīt use the knife on a regular basis, it doesnīt matter too much.

#9179 - 09/13/02 12:32 AM Re: Executive Carry Knife
Anonymous
Unregistered

I also recommend the Spydercard, mine stays in my wallet at all times. The SOG Access card looks nice, but the clip makes it more bulkier than the Spydercard. Even if you removed the clip, you would still have the switch protruding. This leads me to believe that it won't truly fit well into a standard wallet.<br><br>Amper has a good point, a wallet-carry knife has never been detected in any search i've ever encountered. I have always made a habit of placing my wallet in the personal effects bin at the airport, even before I had the knife in there...they are none the wiser.<br><br>John McIntire

#9180 - 09/13/02 03:42 AM Re: Executive Carry Knife
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
The metal detectors in some of the courthouses I have entered have detected the spare vehicle keys carried in my wallet, and the medium sized binder clips in my briefcase. For some reason, I don't like to think what the the reaction of the bailiffs would have been if they found a knife concealed in my wallet. And they tend to be a lot more benevolent lot than some of the airport security guards.<br><br>In my area, I haven't been able to carry a pocket knife into a courthouse since the mid-90s.<br><br>Jonn

#9181 - 09/13/02 04:59 AM Re: Executive Carry Knife
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
As far as serrated blades are concerned, my recommendation is to take a plain blade, sharpen it, then create micro-serrations with a coarse sharpener, leaving the tip area finely sharpened. This will make your knife do the same job as a serrated blade without the sharpening hassles.<br><br>I should also mention that removing the clip from the SOG Access Card exposes the lock mechanism and (I believe) releases the spring that holds the lock, rendering the lock effectively useless. This may or may not be a problem for you, depending on your intended application.<br><br>BTW, I apologize for my atrocious typing in my earlier post. I didn't preview because I was in a rush.

Edited by amper (09/13/02 05:02 AM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.