The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#91646 - 04/19/07 11:50 AM Re: Survival in the classroom? [Re: terry13111]
urbansurvivalist Offline

Loc: Asheville, NC
Originally Posted By: terry13111
I don't know if its state policy, or just in my area, but the schools here forbid any "weapon" including small pocket knives. I am glad to see its not like this everywhere.

Same at my college. I've gotten in trouble for having "weapons", i.e. my leatherman wave and a liner lock folder. My idiotic dorm staff could not comprehend why anyone would need a knife if they have a pair scissors(yes, some people are that stupid).
Nevertheless most students can carry a knife without problems if they live off campus, or if they are discrete around the PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER.. However I don't think I would try using a folding knife against a gunman, I wouldn't trust the lock. I think you'd be better off trying to wrestle the gun out of his hands, or squeeze the trigger at a wall until the clip is empty, and then trying to incapacitate him before he can reload.

I'd rather risk a possible gunshot than an almost certain fall with a single layer of paracord. If it was the second or third story, and there was either something I could climb down or something soft below, then I'd probably go that route.

#91649 - 04/19/07 12:56 PM Re: Survival in the classroom? [Re: billym]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
True, once you add the wraps it won't invert anymore.

A prussik above the figure-8 might catch before the rope whips through it, or might not.

The accident happened because I broke two of my own rules: #1 Knot the end of the rope and #2 Be aware of where the end of the rope is.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#91655 - 04/19/07 02:11 PM Re: Survival in the classroom? [Re: Blast]
coyote Offline
stranger

Loc: 100 yds from elkhorn creek
But you do not need to carry a door stop. A hard backed book would do the same just ajust the pages to fit the opening and wedge away. Or the same one to could be used to bash the attacker when he enters. I do no that in my state it is illelagel to carry in a school zone. So if you do shoot the attacker and save hundreds of innocent childeren you could still be charged with a crime.

#91657 - 04/19/07 02:29 PM Re: Survival in the classroom? [Re: urbansurvivalist]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I looked at the buildings here after hearing people jumped out the windows at Virginia Tech. I hope they looked before they leaped. Here a lot of the buildings have a sort of moat around them, so the basements can have windows and natural light/ventilation. Could turn a reasonably safe two or three story jump into a fatal three or four story jump. Talk about a nasty surprise.

#91661 - 04/19/07 02:58 PM Re: Survival in the classroom? [Re: Dave568]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
If you are looking for a light escape cord, you might consider one of the high tech Technora core cords like New England Tech Cord. The one in the link is 5mm. I have some 3mm, but I haven't been able to find a source in a while.

FWIW, I hear knots (or any sharp bends) are a significant weak point with these cords and they are much weaker at a knot than their rated working load. It also sounds like they wouldn't take well to repeated use.

Make sure you research any solution you plan to use.

-john

Edited by JohnN (04/19/07 03:11 PM)

#91669 - 04/19/07 03:25 PM Re: Survival in the classroom? [Re: thseng]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
I don't knot the ends because when doing multiple rappels down a route the knots get stuck too often. This is why I use the back-up; I use a prusik in front of my ATC.

#91673 - 04/19/07 03:53 PM Re: Survival in the classroom? [Re: billym]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

How about a different strategy using paracord, lab coats, or whatever you have for improvising "snares" or booby traps. He can still continue too shoot but if you get him "trapped" or distracted for a few seconds, maybe that is enough to escape or attack. Is that practical ?

Maybe I have seen "Home Alone" too many times.

#91685 - 04/19/07 06:02 PM Re: Survival in the classroom? [Re: Dave568]
Jezcruzen Offline
Stranger

Loc: Virginia
Dave - My answer to your question would be for you (or anyone) to first sit down and complete an analysis of exactly what the most likely hazards to you are. I don't think an event such as that which occured in Blacksburg Monday will fit into the "most likely" category, do you? That was an aboration, tragic though it was/is.

Once your analysis is complete, decide what risks these hazards present to you and others while in the classroom. Most hazards will present no risk in the classroom environment, but may present risks going to and from class, i.e., lightening, temp. extremes, etc.

Next, decide what mitigation efforts that are reasonable for you to take in order to eliminate or lessen the risk(s), such as keeping certain gear available and conveniant for your use when conditions warrant.

Finally, for those abhorant situations, practise using good "situational awareness". Learn where trouble is most likely to occur and avoid those areas. Watch for tell tail clues that conditions may be deteriorating and take appropriate action to distance yourself from possible harm. Be observant and aware of what's going on around you, and try to recognize escape routes in case they be needed.

These are simple things, but of high value, that anyone can do. They can employ it everyday in all environments, not only a classroom without going to the next level of personal protection that might require physical interventions up to and including deadly force.

#91688 - 04/19/07 06:06 PM Re: Survival in the classroom? [Re: weldon]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: weldon
It was geared towards fire safety and what to do when traveling or living in an apt. in case of a fire. He made the point that you are better off staying in the room you are in and covering yourself with mattresses and bedding than trying to climb down sheets that are tied together.

Aren't the firefighters the ones always saying how dangerous it is to smoke in bed? crazy

#91693 - 04/19/07 06:18 PM Re: Survival in the classroom? [Re: MDinana]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Several random thoughts as I read the good points here:

- If I'm walking around with a holstered pistol, can I be busted for a CCW violation?

- A knifeless multitool.... So that when "he" busts in I can run up, whip out the pliers, and give him one HECK of a tittie-twister?

- tie the paracord to a desk. If the desk is light enough to move to the window, it's probably too light to anchor. Good luck with your classmates waiting patiently for the person to hit the ground.

- Did you know that if you hold the drum of a revolver tight enough, you can't fire off more than that 1 chamber? Usually the drum rotates as you pull the trigger, as the hammer is coming back.

OK, so those are my random thoughts for the day.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.