Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#91946 - 04/22/07 02:03 AM Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. [Re: Susan]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
very true, Susan!!

#92037 - 04/23/07 12:21 AM Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. [Re: Susan]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> there is no real point to handicapped plates. They let you park in
> handicapped spots. Period.
>
> The hanging placards are removable. When hung from the rear-view
> mirror, they let you park in handicapped spots.
>
> If there is a difference, please explain.

The laws vary, so the differences may vary from state to state. When my wife broke her leg, the doctor signed the form for us to get a handicapped placard while she was wheelchair bound (it was broken too severely for either a walker or crutches). This let us park in a handicapped space and get her to and from the doctor's office more conveniently for example. It was a temporary need, hence a placard. I understand also that some states issue placards if the qualifying person does not own a car. Whoever is transporting them gets to use the placard.

Plates may be issued for permanent needs.

> And just because you haven't been a victim yet, doesn't mean you
> won't be one tomorrow.

This is so general that it fails to have meaning. I have never been struck by lightning, never been run over by a car, and of _course_ that doesn't mean I won't be struck by lightning nor run over by a car. Conversely, it doesn't require that I will be struck by lightning or run over by a car. I haven't won the lottery, and the fact that I never buy tickets _may_ have a bearing on not winning, but I don't think buying a ticket will prevent me from losing. :->

My question remains, what are the odds? I have never seen any information that people with handicap placards or plates are more subject to attacks because of that sign. I have doubts. If there's more information than has been given, I'd be very interested in reading up on it.

But I'm not living my life based on the theory that just because I haven't been hit by lightning or murdered so far doesn't mean I won't be. I've seen the numbers, and I know the odds.

Edited by philip (04/23/07 12:21 AM)

#92181 - 04/24/07 12:41 AM Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. [Re: alvacado]
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

If you're worried about looking like an easy victim with a handicap tag, just neutralize it by sticking an NRA bumper sticker near it.

Dave

#92182 - 04/24/07 01:00 AM Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. [Re: alvacado]
Eugene Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

It only takes a second for a purse snatcher, I'm guessing someone handicapped may be in a wheelchair or walking with a walker/crutches so they wouldn't be able to hang on to a purse.
I was walking out of a hardware store so I was near the door in plain site around lunch time and a guy walking toward the store stopped at a truck with a toolbox in the back, popped open the tool box and looked inside then closed it and continued to walk to the store. I yelled, was that your property and he flipped me off and kept on walking so me being there didn't stop his attempted theft.
When I worked retail in college I would push in carts from the parking lot. People would drive down an isle and a couple kids would hop out and walk across the rows of cars checking for unlocked door handles the meet the driver a few isles over and get back in and drive off. I gave several license plate numbers to the security people in the store.

#92183 - 04/24/07 01:07 AM Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. [Re: alvacado]
Eugene Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

I've always heard that any markings on the car make you a target. For example having the sticker your auto insurance agent gives you invites people who are looking to commit insurance fraud since they know you have an insurance policy. Or having an NRA sticker says there might be guns under the seat that could be stolen. Or the rental car company sticker when your on vacation. Or the out of state plates when your in a tourist area. So there are a lot of ways to advertise.
I have a truck with a cap on the back and used to have old network cable boxes cut so I could stick them in the cap windows so it looked like I was carrying a load of cable instead of my camping/traveling gear but now people steal wire and cable to sell the copper.

#92185 - 04/24/07 01:11 AM Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. [Re: Susan]
Eugene Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

My guess is because someone handicapped might have their hands full with their chair/crutches/walker that they make an easy target for something like a purse snatching. Also you can usually spot them coming out of the store so just before you break their window glass you can glance at people exiting the store and see that none look handicapped and bet that they are not going to be walking toward the car your about to hit, so the smash and grab crimes are easier.

#92261 - 04/24/07 01:31 PM Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. [Re: alvacado]
shecky Offline

Is there any actual data that shows people with handicapped plates/placards are victimized at higher rates than the general population?

#92312 - 04/24/07 10:39 PM Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. [Re: shecky]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The question is, where victims selected because of their plates, or because they are handicapped?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#92332 - 04/25/07 03:02 AM Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. [Re: ironraven]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Is there any actual data that shows people with handicapped plates/placards are victimized at higher rates than the general population?"

How could there be? How would they know? Do the police officers writing their report in the ER beside the patient ask them if they had handicapped plates as SOP? Bet not.

"The question is, where victims selected because of their plates, or because they are handicapped?"

You sure wouldn't make much of a mugger, Ironraven! First, you check out the parking lot for handicapped plates, then you park nearby and pick your teeth, waiting to see if the driver really is handicapped. If they aren't, you pass. If they are, you follow them home, and bash 'em before they get to their front door.

There's a trick to handicapped plates vs. the handicapped hang tags: You REALLY need to be handicapped to get the plates. Any bozo can get a hangtag. I read where it is estimated that over half of the issued tags belong to perfectly healthy people who just like to park in handicapped spots because they're lazy. Muggers probably know this....... they've probably got their own tags.

Sue

#92336 - 04/25/07 03:40 AM Re: Handicapped License Plates & Placard Problem. [Re: Susan]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I wouldn't mug people with handicapped tags. It isn't that if I was a mugging someone I'd be having a conscious attack at that point, but because they generally don't have enough money and are too high profile.

The reason I point it out is because my surviving grandparents could get a handicapped tag, and should have one. My grandmother can't drive, and while my grandfather still can (barely), he should be using at least one cane at all times, and he's too stubborn to get the doc to sign the form so he can get a handicapped plate. I see a lot of people who should have handicapped plates who don't, actually. They park a little further back, are just as slow, and because they have further to go, they are more likely to more over burdened. Target is just as easy, the terrain is more forgiving to you, and you can be a helpful young person by offering to help them load their purchases to get that much closer and get them to lower their guard for a moment.

But before I changed from a criminal investigations major to an engineering major, I had already concluded that prison is largely full of stupid people.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 241 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.