Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#91329 - 04/17/07 05:32 AM looking for a particular knife: help, suggestions
jay2 Offline

Loc: idaho
I posted this request in the around the camp-fire forum by accident and got the reply to get a becker necker, if I could find one. Well, it's almost exactly what I think I'm looking for and have been trying to order one for a week with no luck. So, any other good ideas?

requirements:
fixed blade 7 to 10 inches overall.
heavy duty enough to take some punishment. ie. baton beating back
skeleton handle - or very flat for fit in current pelican case.
do I want half a serrated blade? I don't think it's critical.
rust resistant or stainless? - the kit is a boat, and car kit.

Thanks again.

#91337 - 04/17/07 01:31 PM Re: looking for a particular knife: help, suggestions [Re: jay2]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

What are you looking to spend?

#91350 - 04/17/07 03:17 PM Re: looking for a particular knife: help, suggestions
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

the flat handle is the tricky part..most heavy duty knives
have a big stacked leather handle..
i would suggest you have a look at a site that offers
knife making kits or just blades.."ragweed forge" or
"knifekits.com" and get a blade with a full flat tang that would
fit your case and put a couple slabs of wood on for the
handle..easy task..most come with pre drilled holes..
i would get a blade that is easy to keep sharp..who cares
how it would look in a survival sitution..

#91353 - 04/17/07 03:27 PM Re: looking for a particular knife: help, suggesti [Re: jay2]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

jay2, take a look at these knives, these are extreme knives and don't come available often. If you want one you will have to order them on Thursday evening, April 19th, between 8 and 10 CST. So remember that's 9 to 11 Eastern. I have 2 knives from this knife maker and I can vouch on how tough these knives are, You can cut through concrete and trees and still not effect your blade. If you need a good hard core knife I would strongly suggest take a look at these knives. He won't sail these again for a long while. That's the quirks how they sail but they sail out very quick. He has pictures of field testing on his site and the knives come highly recommended.

Order Knive

Scrap Yard Knives

The Scrapper 6 features a 6 1/2" long blade and near full-length tang construction. The end of the tang is less than 1/4" from the butt of the handle. The thicker than 1/4" blade (.275" thick) features a full-height flat ground bevel with a convex edge adding to the strength and cutting power of this abuse loving American made blade. The exclusive, non-hygroscopic Resiprene C handles have been proven in the harshest combat conditions around the globe. With an overall length of 11 1/2" the Scrapper 6 is the perfect sized blade for day campers, combat professionals, and those who choose to venture into the uncharted wilderness.

I am please to announce two new knives. The ScrapYard Hook and the ScrapYard Guard

The Yard Hook features a 7” long blade of Scrap Yard SR 77 steel mated with a hand-filling, ergonomic Resiprene C handle. The Yard Hook is ready for heavy abuse in the harshest environment. The blade catch located in front of the integral thumb ramp provides an extra level of protection when the Yard Hook is deployed as a fighter. This wide body re-curved blade is equally effective in both a wilderness environment and a combat zone. The gentle re-curve of the primary edge has been proven throughout history to draw objects in towards the cutting edge.

Specs:
Overall length - 12”
Blade length – 7”
Thickness – approximately .280 (1/4” – 5/16”)
Handle – Resiprene C
Steel – SR77
Price - $119.95

The Yard Guard shares most of the features of its kissing cousin the Yard Hook. It does not feature a integral blade catch thus giving it a lower profile and making it less obtrusive for many camp side chores.

Specs:
Overall length - 12”
Blade length – 7”
Thickness – approximately .280 (1/4” – 5/16”)
Handle – Resiprene C
Steel – SR77
Price - $119.95

The sheath that fits the Scrapper #6 works for both of these knives. The Yard Hook rides ¼ to ½ inch higher due to the catch riding on the liner of the sheath. Please note that The Yard Hook should not be forced into the liner of the Sheath, this could cause the knife to stick.

I will be posting these up for sales Thursday evening, April 19th, between 8 and 10 CST.

In addition, I will also be posting the Scrapper #6 up for sale at the standard price of $99.95. All previous Scrappers were sold at the orginal introductory price.

#91390 - 04/17/07 07:53 PM Re: looking for a particular knife: help, suggesti [Re: falcon5000]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Maybe the RAT 7 or RAT 5?

#91397 - 04/17/07 08:11 PM Re: looking for a particular knife: help, suggestions [Re: norad45]
jay2 Offline

Loc: idaho
i was really looking for a $30 to $50 knife, but would spend up to a $120 if it was necesary.

#91402 - 04/17/07 08:22 PM Re: looking for a particular knife: help, suggestions [Re: jay2]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
As I recall, you were restricted by form factor. That rules out most of the knives belonging to any of the cult-y brands, including my own Ka-Bars. smile It sounds like what you would be best served by a neck knife, but a thicker one. That's why I suggested the Necker; I can't think of anything quite like it in terms of thickness AND compactness, but if you willing to accept that you can't baton, there are a lot of options.

Another idea is to take blade blank, bob the tang as you see fit, and sharpen it. Also, check any renaissance faires in your area- good value on your entertainment dollar, no one thinks you are crazy if you wear a sword, and I've never seen one that didn't have at least one blacksmith who does small knives and is willing to haggle for a custom job.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#91416 - 04/17/07 09:44 PM Re: looking for a particular knife: help, suggestions [Re: jay2]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Well I have found a scaleless custom knife made by Scott Gossman that is a bit shorter overall than you are looking for but it is a very good kit knife.

Scott calls this his PSK knife and it is about 6" overall in 1/8" O-1 steel. It is also only $45 without sheath. He has done a very good job of this and I am building a neck kit around it using a custom made sheath.

#91418 - 04/17/07 09:47 PM Re: looking for a particular knife: help, suggestions [Re: Schwert]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
You can remove the handles from one of the Scrap Yard knives falcon5000 recommended and just have the full tang naked version. It won't be comfortable, but given your other considerations, including a max price of $120, I don't think you will find a better knife that fits the bill.

#91492 - 04/18/07 05:19 AM Re: looking for a particular knife: help, suggesti [Re: jay2]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I have a Becker Necker that I carry when hiking. It's great for that, because I really wanted thin and small and strong.

However, for a car or boat kit like you mentioned you're putting together, the Necker would NOT be my first choice. The blade on it is nice, but could be longer if you have a car or boat to haul it around with. And the handle is way to short and thin to feel comfortable and 100% secure in your hand. And I have small hands. It is certainly a very usable knife, but there are tradeoffs in it's small size that I was willing to accept for hiking use, but not for car/boat use. Think of the Necker like a small golf pencil. Sure you can write with it when you really need it's smaller size, but you'd rather have a full sized pencil for comfort and best productivity.

Get something bigger and more ergonomic for car/boat. If the problem is something like that won't fit in your current case ... get a bigger case. Not a smaller knife. Only my personal opinion, of course!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 261 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.