Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#91386 - 04/17/07 07:30 PM Best Emergency Food to Store in Hot Car?
Milestand Offline

With summer coming (I hope), I've been wondering about the best choice for a small store of emergency food to keep in the trunk of the car...

Any suggestions for what might best survive the fierce heat built up in a car parked in the hot sun all summer long?

blush

#91388 - 04/17/07 07:47 PM Re: Best Emergency Food to Store in Hot Car? [Re: Milestand]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Wholewheat biscuits (the ones that don't contain too much sugar) would be a pretty good choice. They last a long time in hot weather, just keep them dry. I always take a few packs on longer treks as a substitute for bread. That and a few cans of tuna or beef, maybe some nuts and dried fruit should cover most of your nutritional requirements.

#91389 - 04/17/07 07:53 PM Re: Best Emergency Food to Store in Hot Car? [Re: Tom_L]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Be careful on biscuits. The type you just toss in the oven to cook might "explode" if the car gets hot enough (they'd start to 'cook' in the tin, then rupture it). Goo everywhere.

#91392 - 04/17/07 07:57 PM Re: Best Emergency Food to Store in Hot Car? [Re: Milestand]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Something like this http://www.redflarekits.com/pc/3020/w/1200Kcal+Survival+Food+Ration+by+Mayday claims to store well in heat. Bad news is that it is thirst provoking so you are going to need water too.

MREs suffer shortened shelf life in heat.

Freeze dried will do ok, but there again, you need water and some way to boil it.

#91393 - 04/17/07 07:59 PM Re: Best Emergency Food to Store in Hot Car? [Re: MDinana]
kmat Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spring, Texas
The type you just toss in the oven work well in S. Texas. Pop them out and line them up carefully on the dash of you vehicle and they are ready in about 20 minutes. Oh, do not crack the windows. That lowers the temp to about 200 degrees. Just kidding, I never cook on the dash. The exhaust manifold is quicker!!

#91396 - 04/17/07 08:11 PM Re: Best Emergency Food to Store in Hot Car? [Re: DesertFox]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
MREs are negatively effected by heat, but if you store them in a cooler they will hold up better, and they will last long enough to make it through the summer. But I wouldn't trust them past the summer, nor any canned goods stored in your trunk.

Freeze dried and dehydrated, and canned even if not as short lived, might be your best bet from an economics point of view.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#91398 - 04/17/07 08:12 PM Re: Best Emergency Food to Store in Hot Car? [Re: kmat]
kmat Offline
Journeyman

There are some sealed pouches of tuna and spam that seem to store well. Slim Jims or equivilant are quick energy and store well. But, NightHiker and DesertFox have some good choises. Again, water is need to hydrate.

#91405 - 04/17/07 08:36 PM Re: Best Emergency Food to Store in Hot Car? [Re: Milestand]
kmat Offline
Journeyman

Milestand,

garland posted a review on Horml meals on the long-term preparedness forum 04/12/2007 @ 12:22PM. Check it out. This looks like a good possibility.

#91412 - 04/17/07 09:02 PM Re: Best Emergency Food to Store in Hot Car? [Re: kmat]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
There are several brands of lifeboat style rations, like the Mainstay bars mentioned earlier. They are like incredibly dense bars about the dimensions of candy bars. I happen to like the taste of some of them, like the SOS bars, which have some coconut in them I think which gives them some flavor, here's a place you can get them:

http://www7.mailordercentral.com/longlif...1&mitem=180

Another thing that works, and comes in a few flavors are Millenium Bars:

http://www.countycomm.com/BAR.htm

Those are nice to have in the daypack.

- Ron

#91413 - 04/17/07 09:07 PM Re: Best Emergency Food to Store in Hot Car? [Re: kmat]
Milestand Offline

Originally Posted By: kmat
Milestand,

garland posted a review on Horml meals on the long-term preparedness forum 04/12/2007 @ 12:22PM. Check it out. This looks like a good possibility.

Thanks for the suggestion -- I always try to do a search before starting a new topic and glanced at this thread. I haven't seen that product line, but we do have Hormel canned chili, which is good enough to eat in non-emergency situations. Has anyone actually kept a tin can of food in their trunk all summer, then eaten it (and lived to tell about it)? The advantages of Hormel chili are ziptop lids, and since we eat it occasionally, we could rotate it out of active duty to the kitchen.

And to clarify one point mentioned above, in this case I'm planning more for the "unexpected night out" rather than "being stranded in death valley for a couple of weeks". If I were going on any extended trips, I'd take along a more proper B.O.B. in true Equipped fashion.

So, my focus here is readily available, inexpensive, palatable food choices that can take 5 months of periods of intense heat in the trunk of a car. I would definitely eat them by then, or toss them - so it just needs to be safe, not immortal

Thanks again for all the suggestions...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.