Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#91458 - 04/18/07 02:52 AM Re: Best Emergency Food to Store in Hot Car? [Re: JCWohlschlag]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
So if I was talk about, say, browning some hashbrowned potatoes with a little onion in some bacon grease in a skillet, smoothing it out as a crust, then putting down a quarter inch layer of thin sliced ham and some just as much chipotle cheddar, sliced, then covered with a couple eggs with a little milk scrambled into it and stuck under the broiler for a few minutes is not somethign you want to hear about?

Nor is fresh baked corn bread with butter and honey served next to it?

*grins* I know I'm horrible.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#91464 - 04/18/07 03:07 AM Re: Best Emergency Food to Store in Hot Car? [Re: ironraven]
kmat Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spring, Texas
I'm there! My theory is if it's wrapped in or cooked in bacon, it's got to be good!!!! Now I'm hungry too! I guess I'll just grill some bacon wrapped quail with onion and jalapeno.
kmat

#91465 - 04/18/07 03:10 AM Re: Best Emergency Food to Store in Hot Car? [Re: ironraven]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
The SOS and Datrex rations are designed to have a shelf life of 5 years under "extreme climatic and storage conditions". (That's from SOS Food Labs.) I had some of the SOS ones in a BOB in the back of a vehicle for a few years, through hot summers and sub zero winters and eventually ate a block of them hiking when they only had a year left and I was cycling them out. I don't think I could tell much of a difference in a side by side test of some fresh ones quite frankly. Of course, when I'm hiking, I'll eat anything, so maybe it's not a valid test...

- Ron

#91477 - 04/18/07 03:42 AM Re: Best Emergency Food to Store in Hot Car? [Re: ironraven]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
hashbrowned...onion...crust...chipotle cheddar...fresh baked corn bread

cry cry cry
You know, the next time I'm up in Vermont I may just have to kick your ass for that last post!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#91478 - 04/18/07 03:46 AM Re: Best Emergency Food to Store in Hot Car? [Re: ironraven]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
I may have already eaten? but that post still makes you suck! laugh Enjoy your meal. Let me know if you?re willing to FedEx some over. laugh

#91483 - 04/18/07 04:23 AM Re: Best Emergency Food to Store in Hot Car? [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

[censored] mushrooms, and the sweetest vidalias onions, basted in the drippings and a light vegitable broth. Either way, served next to baked potatoes from a local farm, steamed in the coals sweet corn picked that afternoon served with lime-chili butter, and either coleslaw so fresh it crunches or a green salad with fresh daylily buds and homemade italian dressing.

So, planning a special trip to kick my butt? gringringrin

I think in past life, I worked as a cook in a lumber camp or something. And no one went hungry.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#91486 - 04/18/07 04:30 AM Re: Best Emergency Food to Store in Hot Car? [Re: ironraven]
kmat Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spring, Texas
Buuuuuurrrrrpppppp! Blast, road trip? Pack some short fuses!
kmat

#91494 - 04/18/07 05:33 AM Re: Best Emergency Food to Store in Hot Car? [Re: justin2006]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...normal conditions..."

Words like "normal" and "average" tend to scare me.

What is normal for one may be extreme for another...

#91505 - 04/18/07 08:44 AM Re: Best Emergency Food to Store in Hot Car? [Re: ironraven]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Quote:
MREs are negatively effected by heat

How do the US militairy people protect there MRE's in countries like Iraq, Afghanistan,etc?? Some sort of aluminium foil pouch?

#91509 - 04/18/07 12:23 PM Re: Best Emergency Food to Store in Hot Car? [Re: JIM]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

At larger facilities, MREs and other stable rations are stores in air conditioned warehouses. In the field and smaller facilities, you just eat them- the logistics faerie brings you more, wether you like it or not.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Doug_Ritter), 369 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.