Topic Options
#91311 - 04/17/07 12:10 AM Re: 30+ Killed at VA Tech. [Re: benjammin]
Anonymous
Unregistered

#91312 - 04/17/07 12:28 AM Re: 30+ Killed at VA Tech. [Re: ]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
That's the Dunblane elementary school photo from 10 or 15 years ago right? That tragic event, which was heavily politicized, essentially cemented the deal for the UK to ban handguns in the late 90's. Something similar will be in the headlines tomorrow morning in the US.

I feel for all of those young folks who died today and their families. My boy isn't that far from going away to college, and I think about what it's going to be like. Still, fear is never a good reason to change the foundations of freedom and personal responsibility that your society is built on, IMHO.

- Ron

#91313 - 04/17/07 01:04 AM Re: 30+ Killed at VA Tech. [Re: gatormba]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

the shooting is indication of rising trend of suicider who want to commit mass suicide by killing as many people. this is a new disturbing phenomenon.

#91321 - 04/17/07 01:55 AM Re: 30+ Killed at VA Tech. [Re: picard120]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
It isn't new. Disturbing, but not new- this kind of behavior is the very origin of our term "amok", it's either Malaysian or Phillipeno (sp, I can never get this one right). The Japanese and Chinese have similiar, uhm, "traditions" (?). Basically, some guy (it's almost always male) flips out, and attacks a crowd, killing and injuring as many as he can until he killed or incapacitated.

I was reading a paper on it a couple years ago doing a paper on spontaneous violent outbursts, and IIRC part of the leading theory was that it was partially a stress reaction to a highly stratified and hierarchical social structure.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#91331 - 04/17/07 06:32 AM Re: 30+ Killed at VA Tech. [Re: ironraven]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government --and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey)

What would have happened today if some of those victims had been armed? And what would have happened if the shooter knew some of those people were armed? Would it have happened? Would the loss of life have been so high?

I wonder if anyone there who was anti-gun yesterday still is so now?

If a few students or professors shot the shooter as soon as he pulled a gun or fired, would the media see it as an ambush?

The horror of being there today is unimaginable. Watching death coming and having no way to fight back. Can't run, can't hide, can't fight.

#91333 - 04/17/07 07:44 AM Re: 30+ Killed at VA Tech. [Re: Susan]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Susan
What would have happened today if some of those victims had been armed? And what would have happened if the shooter knew some of those people were armed? Would it have happened? Would the loss of life have been so high?

I have no doubt that if the shooter knew there was a possibility some of the students/professors might be armed it either wouldn't have happened or the loss of life would have been much lower. Unfortunately, because of laws that usually restrict and punish those who follow the rules, most of us are just sitting ducks for the rampaging psycho. This just shouldn't have happened.

#91334 - 04/17/07 07:59 AM Re: 30+ Killed at VA Tech. [Re: Susan]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
My family and I are including the families of the dead and wounded in our prayers.

Amen

Our prayers and thoughts will be with their families for a long while.

On the SURVIVAL front.

Shall we open a thread to see if ANYthing could have been done in such a scenario. You only have your politically correct EDC or PSK.

Anyone ?

#91335 - 04/17/07 09:56 AM Re: 30+ Killed at VA Tech. [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

OK. This is what I think about this.

Having a professor or two or three armed will not help much. Remember there are armed police around, but you cant guarantee the armed person (police or professor) to be the right place the right time always. Unless off course you arm everyone, or EVERY professor and every janitor in every building.

There is any easy answer to this. So, I think we have to focus on survival education. We have to ask ourselves :what anyone of us whoud have done is we have been in such a situation equipped with only politically correct items.

Also, do you think schools or classrooms can be designed in anyway to make them less shooter-friendly ??

I can visulize future schools built with bullet-proof doors, even bullet proof lecture seats , when you hear shooting lie down behind/under the folding seat.

What a world we are living in !

#91336 - 04/17/07 01:19 PM Re: 30+ Killed at VA Tech. [Re: Chisel]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

While I am all in favor of allowing both students and professors to carry on campus, I'm not sure it would do any real good as far as the professors go. When I attended the University my professors were virulently anti-gun and I'll bet that most still are. You'd have a better chance of getting them to vote for Dick Cheney than carry a handgun. And simply carrying a gun is not enough; you must practice and--more importantly--have the proper mindset to use it if necessary. Unlike most professors, many students have not spent their entire lives sheltered in the soft bosom of academia. Some come from the street, some are ex-military, and some from hunting backgrounds. If I were a betting man, my money would be on the students rather than the faculty to be the group best able to take care of business.

Edited by norad45 (04/17/07 01:27 PM)

#91343 - 04/17/07 02:22 PM Re: 30+ Killed at VA Tech. [Re: norad45]
Micah513 Offline

Loc: Springfield, MO
I totally agree that the vast majority of professors & students are unwilling & uncapable to carry a gun. Also realize that the majority rules & Concealed carry will never happen on these "liberal" institutions.

However, if even 1% of sane & capable students & professors would start training & carrying it could absolutely make a difference. How many people were on that 2nd floor? Had to be at least 100 people & one person who could have returned fire could have made a difference. However, afterwards that student would be kicked out of school & probably sued by some of the other students for "endangering" their lives. Out society has become so removed from reality that a majority don't realize that guns are a tool that can be used for both evil & good. It is the first survival tool for those who are in touch with reality.

Look at the airline industry - not every pilot carries a weapon, but the percentage (I have no idea what that is) that do are enough to make the terriorist look for another strategy. Or at least it will give them a chance if they strike again. For me it boils down to at least wanting to have a chance to survive.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (7point82), 595 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.